Author Topic: K1 fork lower question  (Read 601 times)

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
K1 fork lower question
« on: November 06, 2017, 10:56:15 AM »
While dismantling some of the forks I have here I noticed that my K1 lowers have the bolt at the bottom of the fork but the schematics I have here don't seem to include it.  I know the K3 onwards had the bolt to hold the piston in place but going by the parts diagram in a K0-K2 fork the bolt wouldn't screw into anything as far as I can see.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I'm not entirely sure if people have drilled out earlier lowers to accommodate K3 internals (there is a lot less to the later internals than the earlier models).  Is that what I have here.

The piston stuck in one of the K1 lowers looks remarkably like the K3 piston itself.

Anyone on here heard of peeps swapping out the internals on the earlier forks? 

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: K1 fork lower question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
All have a allen bolt with a sealing washer  ;)

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 01:31:38 PM »
The piston in the K1 lower looks like a later models piston though, that shouldn't be in there should it?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 05:48:48 PM »
I can't work out from the last picture what is what.

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
It's the main opening to the fork lower (where the fork seal sits) and there is a piston of some sort in there but I didn't think the earlier forks had a piston system but rather a load of other bits and pieces that Hague the same result. There is a K0 set of pistons on the D&K eBay site at the moment so I'm a bit confused, it doesn't take much  ;)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
Burchy, on the K0/K1 the piston in the lower fork leg doesn’t need to be removed in order to withdraw the fork stanchions - hence Honda didn’t list it as a separate part. It’s just a case of removing the circlip that sits above the fork seal.

For the later K2 onwards design the piston sits within the fork stanchion and is held captive in there - hence to remove the stanchion you unscrew the allen bolt.

Sometimes people with early fork lowers still remove piston (by removing the Allen bolt) in order to properly wash-out / clean the fork lower as part of a fork seal change / polish overhaul..

Make sense?

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:31:06 PM »
I just thought it odd that it was in there and no mention of it on the microfiche itself. I originally wanted to get it to do the clean and polish as well but the bugger is well and truly stuck  >:(

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 07:44:23 PM »
May just have to drill the head off of the allen bolt and replace after.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 07:48:16 AM »
If you use a drill that fits in the hex the head will come off doing no damage to the slider and leave the thread in the damper to unscrew when its out

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
If you use a drill that fits in the hex the head will come off doing no damage to the slider and leave the thread in the damper to unscrew when its out

I'll give that a blast Bryan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal