Author Topic: Boyer ignition fitting a lesson learned  (Read 1267 times)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Boyer ignition fitting a lesson learned
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 11:23:57 AM »
With some help I composed this pic of a CB500/550 advancer. Shown is the TEC (Toyo). The red mark is "T" for Top Dead Center, the yellow is "F" for static timing. Personally I like to have a few degrees extra advance (just right of the advance marks) for a better driveabilty (also dependent of gas quality ofcourse). On reassembly note that the minute carve in the rim is supposed to end up facing the little hole (both white encircled) where it says TEC.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:30:32 AM by deltarider »

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
The original post made me smile, logic told me when i fitted one of these back in the day i didn't need the cam, so i removed it and all went very well, some of us just don't do the logic thing as well as others, i always read things several times and go at it slowly before finalizing the job.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »
On reassembly note that the minute carve in the rim is supposed to end up facing the little hole (both white encircled) where it says TEC.
That's worth knowing, having got it wrong in the past.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »
On reassembly note that the minute carve in the rim is supposed to end up facing the little hole (both white encircled) where it says TEC.
That's worth knowing, having got it wrong in the past.
Yeah, until this day I've seen no mention of this in any manual. Can't even remember where I myself learned about this.

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 06:19:37 PM »
I'm about to fit a Boyer next week, glad I read this or I would be having a tantrum trying to fit it.
On the point regarding the cam does it just slide off or does it need pressing out? Also any other idiosyncrasies I need to know about would be very helpful.   
     Thanks Clive

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »
I'm about to fit a Boyer next week, glad I read this or I would be having a tantrum trying to fit it.
On the point regarding the cam does it just slide off or does it need pressing out? Also any other idiosyncrasies I need to know about would be very helpful.   
     Thanks Clive

Cam just slides off, just read the instructions several times and don't rush it and you will be fine.

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
Thanks Kevsky.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal