Author Topic: Removing powder coat - best options  (Read 1580 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Removing powder coat - best options
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 12:02:03 PM »
i understood the typo/spelling mistake..this isnt a spelling forum.
the thing is not everyone and i definately put myself in this bracket is not great at spelling and grammer so for me if you can decifer it all is good...
i do alot of work at the Helen Arekell dyslexia centre...and often speak to the great staff and they always say the worst thing for the kids (and some adults of course) is to keep having someone ridicule them and correcting them..
so sometimes you need to let it go...
some people are good at spelling.
others excell at IT
or they are good at art
definately a few really talented engine builders on here and nurses
infact everyone is good at somthing.

we dont all have to be 100% with spelling and its unfair to expect it..
lester piglet (What happend to him he used to always post but has slipped away) picked me up one day on when i typed brought and not bought..
that pissed me off...to be told off on a public forum ive always struggled with spelling and at 44 i am over it..and what did he know about my short falls..i couldve got in an argument about it then but i let it go...
as stated above this isnt a spelling forum...

ok over to the english police, pick the bones out of that. it doesnt help at the moment i have to type all of this on a small phone with big thumbs..
any direct criticism please keep it to yourself i really couldnt care.

+1 ..Last year, I gave some radio stuff to a lovely guy in Lincs via the Vintage radio forum ...he was quite a young hippy type guy, single parent and his house looked a bit like my garage but you could see by the way he was bringing his daughter up, on not a lot of income,  that you couldn't wish for a more caring guy. He told me that he joined that Vintage Radio forum and for 18 months every single post he submitted had to be vetted by the 'mods' and returned back if it wasn't up to scratch grammar/spelling wise before they would put it up live on the forum .... What is that all about ?   ::) To lighten the mood pick the bones out of this one. The missus  found my son sneaking it  into Father Christmas's post box about his sister   ;D ;D He's 32 now and would throttle me if he knew I put this up on here.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:59:27 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »
We won't tell him Ash, it's the nievety that's so endering.

Anyone who knows Jackie Stewart's story will recognise how profound an effect dyslexia can have.

Briefly he was separated from his peer group on going to senior school and labelled a dunce because of his,  now obvious,  dyslexia. Obviously went on to huge success in spite of this but was diagnosed at about 40 years of age when his son had difficulty at school. He never understood until then why he'd been treated like that as a child. Very sad.

I'm not,  but my son is dyslexic. I could see almost as soon as his reading was not progressing as a young child, he's currently 14. The school would not accept this even going so far as to blame him having long hair!  So he couldn't see properly. His year three teacher took it apon herself to tie his hair up out of the way to improve his ability!!!  Made him feel really good in his class,  what an asshole.

After much diplomatic talk with school,  went on to be properly assessed within the education system which now acknowledges his ability.
His secondary school was chosen by us with a big part of our view in how they would work with him. They've mostly fulfilled that,  so heading in the right direction. But still his reports reference poor writing/spelling skills regularly. Each parent's evening we still feel we have to remind some of the teachers that have written that of his capabilities in this area

I'm dammed certain that it's not going to affect his education if I have anything I can do to influence it. He's just not capable in that one area,  it should never restrict his outlook on subjects.
We promote skills that take him through subjects in perhaps a less constrained, narrow,  purely writing led focus.
He has an accute memory and,  as this affects people differently,  he gets punctuation and grammar but often can't interpret or formulate the words themselves.

Also have mate who's started,  built and sold businesses. Profoundly dyslexic,  one of them is a printing company! Just very good at what he does in spite of this perceived fault.

That's what it is,  a perceived fault with someone based solely on a rigid academic doctrine. Its not a real fault at all.

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 08:49:42 PM »
funny how we've strayed so far from powder coating removal!! it's happened before on a few other forums wot i frequent...
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Frankie 2 sheds

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »
My K1 frame is currently powder coated but I'm not overly happy with the quality.  I inherited it when I bought the basket case itself but they didn't cover off threads and things like that and the general appearance of it is a bit naff.

Now I've got a load of frame mods to do for my CR build so it's going to have to be stripped at some point and I wanted to get an idea on what the best options are.  I've heard using strippers, is  the best way to go (pardon the expression ;), ones specifically that have methanol or something in them, although this could be complete BS.  I did use paint stripper when I was attacking the K3 yoke I have here but that took forever to get the powder coat off.  Obviously sandblasting is probably the way to go but just interested if anyone had any pearls of wisdom.

I also wanted to ask about the inside of the frame itself as I noticed when I moved it there sounded like bits moving around in there. I know they are getting on a bit but is there any way of making sure that the metal is treated inside against corrosion prior to getting the exterior powder coated?

Sand blasting is the way to go. I sand blasted my Yam xs750 it had been outside for 10yrs. You get a great finish, perfect for priming. After priming I used 2 pack paint and sprayed it several times. You get a far better finish with 2 pack. It's harder and wets out to give you a top class finish. I can see why powder coating is preferred in manufacture because it gets everywhere easier than spraying without waste. But it will never be as hard or wet out as 2 pack. (thats why it's not on cars)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal