Author Topic: Old pictures from back in the day.  (Read 991 times)

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Old pictures from back in the day.
« on: November 15, 2017, 12:19:45 PM »
Some old pictures of my old RD 250f and a mate's X7 which he foolishly let me ride. Taken in Brixham and Meriden in 1980

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Old pictures from back in the day.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »
Great pictures,  really stylish one's on the beach.

Those coffin tank RD Yams are my favourite of their two stroke range,  great bikes.

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 02:08:19 PM »
Great pictures,  really stylish one's on the beach.

Those coffin tank RD Yams are my favourite of their two stroke range,  great bikes.

Would have made a better picture without the 17 year-old slouch  :-[

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
Thats a classic teenage slouch... full,of attitude  8) 8)

Those pictures are well cool, i love the old strokers. Me and my twin bro have those bikes, i have an RD and our kid has the X7... we get to relive those days most weekends in the summer along with a fairly decent group of other local enthusiasts..

Do you still own bikes like those? They are great fun, you can thrash them and still stay legal just about..... I organise a rally every September at Squires cafe in Yorks, every year approximately 100 of us set off for a ride to another cafe... its an awesome event to be part of. Those old strokers are so cool, we were well lucky to be young in the 70’s....  8)

I was leading this particular run on my NSR250.... but i often ride the RD
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCqjS-AL_kI
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:16:47 PM by Rob62 »

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:00:52 PM »
Glad you like the photos. I hadn't seen that RD for 37 year's but managed to get hold of my old mate  (who I haven't seen in 35) via Facebook and he sent me the pictures. Have to say it was quite emotional seeing the bike again. The photographs on the beach and of my hamfisted attempt at a wheelie on his X7 were taken in Brixham in Devon where we  met up with our girlfriends for a weeks holiday. I was going to take my RD but unfortunately crashed it the week before putting it temporally out of action with busted indicators and bent handlebars. As a consequence I had to ride pillion on his Suzuki. Fortunately he had passed his test so we were able to go two up on the M5 from the Midlands  (my L plate would have 'fallen off 'if I had been able to take the Yamaha)  Not sure my body would tolerate that sort of trip these days! The Two pictures of the Yamaha were taken in the village of Meriden near Coventry where I lived at the time. A few Years back I bought a tidy RD 250a to relive the good old days but found it didn't quite have the balls for comfortable two up riding with my girlfriend so that was sold and my current CB550 purchased. Would still like another two stroke though and will possibly sell the Honda and get another RD especially as now I've got an ST1300 for two up trips.
Like the video. Sounds like the start of the 1975 80cc Spanish grand prix!
P.S. the first bike I bought when I returned to bike's in 96 was an RGV 250. Should have kept it, they are fetching silly prices now
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:26:51 PM by wolfheze »

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 10:42:58 PM »
I mainly ride solo on the RD, on the rare ocasion i take the missus on the back the performance does suffer a bit but i find you have to balance your expectations and all is good. The RD400 is a better option for two up riding but the prices are crazy these days... some have sold recently for 9k!

But like you say, now you have the st a revvy 250 would make a great 2nd bike...

Great story btw.... takes me back to my own youth, unfortunately i didnt take many photo’s of my bikes and i have none at all of my first RD250F, JUA 431V was stolen from the works garage only two months after i bought it... i then waited 25 years before buying my current RD, another F...now restored in the same colour as my first.

Here a couple of years ago next to my bro’s X7

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »
Nice couple of bikes. I have to say when I rode the X7 I was amazed how small and light it was compared to the RD. Felt like a 125 on steroids, seem to remember they cleaned up in production racing until the LC came along. A 400f  would probably fit the bill but like you say a nice one will set you back between 8 and 10k.

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »
Can't remember the reg number of my 250f but think it was DAC - - - V  or LAC - - - V.  I've been going through all of the 3 digit combinations on the DVLA site in the hope of finding out it's fate. Might take a while as there are over 700 possible permutations  :(

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »
A thousand... well 999, x 2 if its either a D or an L.... you could be at it all week.. :-)  Its funny i can remember just about every numberplate I’ve had, and my dads and some of my brothers too.... they just seem to stay in there somewhere.

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »
Think it's slightly less if you take the 0's out of the equation. Anyway I have found a spreadsheet online with all the combinations so will get it printed off and work my way through them. It's frustrating that the DVLA won't give you vehicle information from a name and address but will give it to you from a reg number.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal