Author Topic: Carbs finished! my project is starting to reward!. .CB400  (Read 714 times)

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Carbs finished! my project is starting to reward!. .CB400
« on: November 15, 2017, 05:01:19 PM »

Its been a roller coaster doing this CB400.. and at times I've got dis-heartened.. with costs, constant problems and hard work.. and only the other day I thought about walking away for a bit but I've finally finished my CB400/4 Carbs, I decided not to get the casings vapor blasted as I liked the matt look apart from that they are literally brand new with every part changed or zinc plated, so its given me a boost!

I was trying to find a pic of them at the strip down and found this one.. also shows how bad the engine was.. let alone the wiring loom.! I'm very close to getting her all back together.

Before....

Engine....now

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Carbs finished! my project is starting to reward!. .CB400
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 05:35:45 PM »
Coming on nicely is that.  How far off is it?
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:47:16 PM »
Well done. The carbs are one big (but very small) fiddly job. They are looking great and will complement the engine nicely. Nothing worse than seeing a lovely rebuilt motor let down by rusty fastenings on the carbs!
Keep the photos coming and especially during the dark nights to give us encouragement when we are rebuilding a bike in a cold and damp garage  :(
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 09:32:43 PM »
The chewed-up tappet cover looks familiar! I have had one (in about 1989) completely snap off- the hex casting, leaving me no option to chisel out the remaining mess and on my present 400/4- which considering I had it all apart 5 years ago- one wouldn't shift until I took a chisel to it- which took a chip out of it and I had to replace one...

Ive rebuilt carbs a few times, in fact Ive got a set with new jets and never used laying about as spares- The only damage was they were in a plastic-bag which melted when my garage caught fire about 4 years ago- Yes, nearly a total loss but fully insured and all tools replaced- thanks to MORETHAN. I had been charging a LIPo Cell for my electric bike-kit and it exploded! took 2 fire-tenders to attend and finally put it out (i put the main faire out, but was overcome by smoke) WARNING- it does happen!!

The spare-carbs have melted plastic bag on them, but not completely- ie, it will pull off.

Id forgotten about that till i started writing this...Luckily my 4 bikes were not in that garage!

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:35:59 AM »

Thanks all... its been quite a journey and I only stripped it to weld a rust patch on the frame.

Yes the tappet covers were really bad, well two of them, I think I may put them back to polished metal as I've sourced two new ones.

The bike is getting close...  the only real snag now is my Delkevic pipe was made for a 75 - 77 so it fouls the rear footpegs, Delkevic are making me a solution so I plan to get her back together and take up next weekend.

Once that's done I can focus on getting the loom in , but while the bike is away I will bench test it as I've rewired 50% of it .. it was such a mess... I'm also putting in a reg/rect combo unit, so making some brackets so I dont have to modify the airbox.

I'm also currently looking at electronic ignition.. David Silver one.. or perhaps the DYNA S one from the states.. looks a better unit!

And finally my speedo unit was cracked, I've opened it up and used the spacer inside, then found a bearing seal to fit the housing.. hopefully this works. I will then run a small GPS unit for the speedo.. well this is the plan.

I will have lots of updates coming..  hoping to have a running bike for xmas..!

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 01:53:40 PM »
Were the carbs straight forward enough to strip right down to individual carbs for cleaning ect and puting back together, as I am ready to do mine, I have the luxury of a spare bank which I think will come in hand when rebuilding them as a reference. 
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:56:35 PM »
Were the carbs straight forward enough to strip right down to individual carbs for cleaning ect and puting back together, as I am ready to do mine, I have the luxury of a spare bank which I think will come in hand when rebuilding them as a reference.
Not too bad if you take your time and photograph everything so you know how they go back together. Very fiddly and tedious job though. I have given up doing them now as I have a little man thats an expert, so I pay him instead.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »
I take the carbs apart on my CB400/4, easy enough to do but as Roys says, fiddly. Easy to split the bank to individuals by removing from the back plate and pulling carbs apart.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 11:08:50 AM »
Sounds straight forward enough I want to polish each carb, and clean them in my ultrasonic cleaner I assume I will just balance them statically and tweak them with the  carbtune when I get the bike running, fiddly is not a problem fixing clocks is another one of my hobby's, once the carbs are seperated Im sure they will just be the same to strip as any other carburetor.
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal