SOHC.co.uk Forums > The Black Bomber Board

1969 CL450 US Barn Find Restoration

(1/62) > >>

MrDavo:
Well seeing as we now have a board for all things Bomberage, the 1969 CL450 I just bought might as well have a thread....

As bought on eBay:

The bike turned up this afternoon, with a receipt and NOVA certificate. Mark said Summerbud was a very slick operation - 'which bike?' - wheeled into van, swap money and paperwork, thankyou, next...

No nasty suprises, other than some crash damage to the very back of the mudguard that if not hidden by a numberplate / mudflap could be trimmed off. What I feared was an acid burn to the guard's chrome started to come off with solvol and elbow grease, so a run of spilled grey paint then, phew!

A small scratch to the top of the front mudguard, other than that it is like brand new, same with the rims. OEM Japanese Dunlops, very original finish to some of the alloy, but very yellowed laquer. The shocks look original, and work.

Clean oil, compression, O/S air filter is AWOL, a shame cos they are expensive (cleanable type). I'm thinking I might buy a pair though, as if one is new and one is ancient it wont help getting the carburation right. The twistgrip is connected and moves both carbs smoothly, the clutch frees off when you pull the lever when it's in gear.

The rear heatshield is a bit scratched, I will see what the options are for getting it chromed if I could polish the scratches out. The earlier heatshield would not fit this later exhaust system, which is almost like brand new, so is staying, Uli, how much do you want for the new rear heatshield you have?

Scratching and shell damage to the top of the headlamp, incorrect speedo and front brake lever, plus the mudguard damage at the rear and front top, point to it having been wheelied right over, as well as explaining the stupid low indicated mileage if it got a new speedo out of it on an insurance claim. Both clocks are properly fitted, but from looking at photos and parts lists the tacho is the correct one, the bezel is wrong on the speedo. I could live with the non matching speedo, but if I came across the correct one I would be temped to buy it and get Marcel to fettle it, assuming he deals with these twin cylinder abominations.

My first purchase came today, the new grey front brake cable. Now where in hell do I get the round tank badges, they seem to be made from unobtanium?

MrDavo:
I’m confused after looking at gauges on eBay - the plastic glass on the tacho is higher than the instrument, the rim around the speedo is higher than the glass - which is right?

JamesH:
The plastic face sitting proud of the gauge body is correct - the body of the gauge should be plastic as well (very similar to 750 K0 construction). So the tacho is the original item..

MrDavo:
Bugger. Add the speedo to the list of things I want then.

I note an OEM head gasket is as much as a whole pattern gasket set. Is this another case, like the CB750, where I’d be better using a real Honda gasket to avoid later leaks? I think my 750 head gasket (from CMS) cost twice the whole set, but is absolutely dry.

AshimotoK0:
If the plastic gauges are similar to the CB350K0 I have lots  ;)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version