Author Topic: 1969 CL450 US Barn Find Restoration  (Read 31480 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 CL450 Restoration
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2018, 01:25:31 PM »
I would go plugs out,and spin it up

great pictures ,

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2018, 06:22:19 PM »
Good progress,  and pictures.

I'd do the same,  plugs out and spin it if all set up ok.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »
Looking at photos of the used CL450 bars for sale on eBay, I've realised that when my SL350 ones show up, the first thing I'm going to have to do is make a big hole in them, as there are no cables from the left hand  bar on the SL (there is a hole to locate the clutch lever peg). I reckon three large overlapping holes should give me the slot I want, I'll be mirroring what's on the other side. I may need to file any sharp edges I make though, I don't want to make a short circuit.

Last night I redadjusted the valve clearances with the rotor on the TDC marks, two were a bit tight, the other two were fine.

Then, as suggested, I took the plugs out and connected the CB750 battery direct to the starter motor and earth. I had cleaned and checked the starter, still it was probably the first time it had been used in years, so I was glad to find it worked OK.

As suggested in the manual, I took one of the nuts off on the head studs where there is a copper washer, and waited until oil appeared. Then I kept turning until I saw it at the camshafts:

I stopped once the battery was getting flat and the cables were hot. I was tempted to have another go once the battery is recharged, but I'm not sure what the point would be. I know oil is going where it should, it will get plenty more when it is running under its own steam I hope.

Next I'll fit and static time the points, I'm more or less done with the motor then.

I notice I'm missing a large O ring in the chaincase cover where the oil filter end cap goes in - theres a new one on the cap, but there should be one in the case too. I'm damned if I'm paying a £6 delivery charge on it though, so it will have to wait until I inevitably need more bits from Mr Silver. There ought to be better oil pressure with it in place, there wasn't one there when I stripped it, looking at the photos.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
I found there was an O ring in the clutch cover when I took it off, so I fitted that for now. I was disappointed to find the right inlet cam bearing cover (left) was leaking oil when I went back in the garage:

That manky screw at the bottom wasn't the correct one, I found a longer one and swapped it. I couldn't take the cover right off, as it supports the cam, but pulled it out far enough to apply a smear of sealant with a screwdriver tip.  All tightened up I have cranked the motor over some more to test for oil tightness, it appears to be OK now. The last thing I want is a leaky Honda, my mates with Brit bikes at the BMPS would never let me hear the last of it.

My bars turned up from California at last this morning, for a 1970 SL350 they measure the same as James' CL ones in every way apart from the width, at 820mm the same as the ones on his 500.

Thery don't look over wide on the bike, and the reinforced centre tube will fit between the clamps OK.

As predicted I will need to make a slot for the cables on the clutch side, as there are none on an SL. Top are my bars, below a photo I pinched from the listing for a pair of CL450 bars on eBay.

I don't know yet if my existing pull backs (for sale if you need a pair) have holes drilled for the lever mount locating pins, the pins may have been ground off the switchgear. Once I start on the chassis I can have fun making holes for and pulling through the cables, at the moment they live outside the handlebars, which looks messy.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:19:22 PM by MrDavo »
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »
I’ve got them on my watch list, but considering the cost plus postage from Oz, I’m going to give my originals a go at restoration, once I’ve finished the engine. I’ve bought satin black and the nearest red I could get from the car spares shop.

Once I’ve used heat to get the badges off, it’s all down to what happens with the polishing wheel- is the finish just on the surface or will it polish up shiny?
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2018, 07:41:38 PM »
Haven’t tried refurbishing one yet - may be worth polishing the reverse side first (the glue side) to see how the material takes to polishing?

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
I don't know why the photos are now taking an age to load, probably using a free service from postimage in a post photobucket world. Something has changed from .org to .cc, if you need anything reposted let me know. But lets not get cross about photobucket again....

I got close to finishing the engine, but at the moment it has no transmission. I removed the clutch and the alloy bodied pump, I'm damned if I can find the 'gudgeon pin' from the original pump though. It has to be in the gargage somewhere, but not where I can find it, its probably got dropped and rolled off under something, I'll find it one day, in the meantime I've ordered a new one.

Its time to have a go at the chassis, as I want to send the tank, panels, ears and headlamp off to Menno for some candy magic.

I bought a couple of K70s from Vintage Tyres, only when about to fit one last night did I check to find they hadn't included the new rim tapes and tubes, and I don't trust ancient rubber for a moment with anything important. To be fair I  emailed them at 7pm, 7am this morning I got an apology and a message to say tubes and tapes are on their way.   

I got the front tyre off only after a physical battle. It turns out to be from 1990, a US ribbed Dunlop, and after getting comfy for nearly 30 years did not want to be evicted, It's off now though. It shows that bike was on the road much later than I expected because of the apparent low mileage on the engine, it was already 20 years old when that tyre went on. Maybe it got an engine issue fixed and ressurected for a while, as someone had been in there. I've wondered if that camchain idler wheel spindle that wasn't located with its knockpin made a row as it moved aound, there was a witness mark at both ends on the barrel skirts. It is quite possible that somene spent a bit of time and money on the bike, only to have it still make a horrid engine noise, and just gave up on it.

The rear tyre is a worn Japanese Dunlop, I haven't found a date yet, maybe its the original, I don't know.

Brake shoes were OEM Honda, lots of dust but in good nick, however I have ordered new Vesrah ones as I dont want linings going adrift.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »
This has been taking a back seat while the CB750 got sorted, but now I have to get on with it, so I can get the front end apart and the fork ears off to Menno, along with the headlamp tank and side panels.

As they are steel, I was able to warm the panels with a blowlamp to get the badges off, which I am going to try and refurbish. Once off, there was a glimpse of original 1969 candy blue. It may be handy for Menno, though the brief will be 'the same as James'' as far as the colour goes.

The motor came off the workbench, still on the stand its now wrapped in one of those charity bags that come through the door, and stored out of the way.

One side of the front wheel, a fork leg and the brake plate are like new, the other side had caught the sun badly and all the laquer had gone yellow and crusty. It all came off with P400 and elbow grease, the hub plate polished up lovely on the wheel - they used decent alloy for all the stick they get about 'monkey metal'. Those spokes are as I got them, the bike must have been kept somewhere very dry, no rust at all.

Here it is with a new K70 being fitted, with a new tube and tape as well, of course.

Every time I fit a tyre its like I've forgotten all the lessons I've ever learned before, if I did it all day I'd be good at it. I used to watch the Dunlop fitters in the Superbike paddock, they made it look like child's play, though the right gear works a lot better than my three knackered tyre levers and the 'borrowed' washing up liquid.

1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2018, 07:37:10 PM »
What are you on about James? Cable tie  ???
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2018, 07:45:28 PM »

James ,that bike looks great,
 Is it my imagination,but the clocks look the wrong way around ,the tacho drive is on the right of the motor,but the clock on the left,

are most Hondas speedo left,tacho right ???
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »

How to mount motorcycle tire with zipties: http://youtu.be/S6WPzRRJLpA

Probably this above as a method.

Just a small point about using washing up liquid,  it contains salts for cleaning usually which isn't in commercial tire products and may promote corrosion on old chrome rims or bare alloy.  A ready alternative could be car shampoo.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2018, 08:52:45 PM »
Looking at some of those videos I'm not totally convinced its easier.
But when its time to change mine I will give it a go. I should think it helps with removing the rock hard prehistoric ones.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2018, 09:55:29 PM »

How to mount motorcycle tire with zipties: http://youtu.be/S6WPzRRJLpA

Probably this above as a method.

Just a small point about using washing up liquid,  it contains salts for cleaning usually which isn't in commercial tire products and may promote corrosion on old chrome rims or bare alloy.  A ready alternative could be car shampoo.
Looked at that and I don't have enough tattoos to do it!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:23:11 AM by rozabikes »
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2018, 11:33:49 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, James, I can confirm that my 1969 K1 has the clocks the same way round as yours. Last night I was just thinking what a lovely finished casting the top yoke was when I looked under the speedo bracket to find the mounting lug snapped clean off, probably in the same crash that wiped out the original plastic speedo.  :o

Replacement found, £30 offer accepted on eBay. Covered in black paint, but with a less rusty cable bracket than the one I've got.

The tinware wrapped like an oven ready chicken, ready to go to Menno.

1974 Kawasaki Z1A

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal