Author Topic: 1969 CL450 US Barn Find Restoration  (Read 9401 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Pro
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 CL450 US Barn Find Restoration
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2019, 04:59:27 PM »
I found a photo of a CL450 silencer the same as mine cut open (who knows why), in an eBay listing. Like most CL450 projects up for sale recently it seems to have been left out in the rain for years, it makes me realise that I was lucky to find one that had been stored on the dry to restore.

The pulled spot welds and crack on my silencer (see earlier photo) seem to be in the same area as the curved vertical baffle shown, so maybe its that which has come adrift. I'll keep it on the road until winter, and cut away the back to have a look then, I'll also giver her a good service and check all the tappets and timing then. I keep silencers (one piece with the upper pipe) on my eBay watch list, but only near scrap ones come up for sale

500 miles done so far, all running well and no real problems other than the silencer rattle and an iffy indicator switch, it requires a 'knack' to signal a right turn. New switches are expensive but available.

The original clutch cable is very graunchy, so I have a new grey one coming from the states (only black ones seem to be available new here), I just paid the VAT and extortionate Royal Mail 'collection fee', so it should be here soon. Question, my service manual says nothing about lubricating cables, am I right in thinking that  Honda cables (OEM ones at least) are nylon lined, so you don't have to / shouldn't lubricate them?
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Pro
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 12, 2019, 07:26:08 PM »
I fitted the new clutch cable over the weekend, what a difference!

Now one finger operation and as light as a feather, remarkable compared with the British twins of the day, their clutches were like cracking walnuts with your bare hands. Also the full set of new grey cables look very smart.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 12, 2019, 11:21:06 PM »
Deffo DO NOT lube genuine cables it makes them worse! Inner is rubber covered and outer nylon lined so oil makes them swell up