Author Topic: Painting Crankcases  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Painting Crankcases
« on: November 20, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »
This may not work! I have been on this site for two years and have not even managed to successfully send an e-mail to another member yet, so please bare with me. A couple of years ago, in a fit of madness, I broke my own rule and bought a 1970 CB750 on e-bay. I think that the vendor was well meaning but not talented. As a result, I have not been able to ride a bike I only bought for that purpose, so I have decided to strip the engine and with the help of a talented friend, re-build it. The cases appear to have been painted with a rattle can and need to be professionally cleaned and painted in the correct colour of engine paint. I live in Essex and am prepared to travel 150 miles or so if necessary.  I have been told that 'Ice Blasting' is the best way to have them cleaned and then I need a company that can provide a good quality finish in the correct standard and quality of paint. Does anyone know of companies that provide these services and is there any advice on the subject that may prove useful?

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
Re: Painting Crankcases
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
Hi Mr Sheene.
Welcome to the forum, (albeit from lurking in the shadows ;D)
If you put crank case painting in the top search bar you will fin hours of reading and
pick what suits you .
ask again when you have digested as much as you can take .
Good luck
Rich
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Painting Crankcases
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »
I don't know why that didn't work before but it did this time, thanks. I have many hours of happy reading ahead of me. If you think that I'm not very good at this, you'd be correct but I can only get better. On the other hand, I may forget what I did and have to go back to lurking. Can I have my status changed to incompetent? 

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum Mr Sheene. You will find all the answers you need on the forum somewhere. What is wrong with the engine / bike that has made it unusable?.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:25:14 PM »
Viewed a CB750 at the Stafford Show, Oct 2017 (as small image) with a very good engine finish.  If he or she contributes on here, then definitely the person to ask.
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »
I don't know why that didn't work before but it did this time, thanks. I have many hours of happy reading ahead of me. If you think that I'm not very good at this, you'd be correct but I can only get better. On the other hand, I may forget what I did and have to go back to lurking. Can I have my status changed to incompetent?

Hey, hey, hey!, if anyone is getting their status changed to incompetent that’ll be me thank you very much!
Welcome Mr Sheene 👍
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Painting Crankcases
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:54:55 PM »
Sorry about the delay, I went for coffee. There is a picture of the bike in 'Gallery'. I put it there the other day when I was trying to learn how to use the site. Without boring you, I bought the bike to cheer myself up. I went with a couple of friends to Swansea to collect it and it came down like stair-rods all day. As  a result, I didn't test ride it. Mistake? The vendor appeared to be a nice bloke and gave the offer of leaving it, if I wasn't happy but I think he was more optimistic than talented. He started the bike easily and it sounded okay, so I took it home. A few days later, I put fresh fuel in it and went for a ride. It was difficult to start and sounded like a bag of nails but I thought that I would take it easy until it warmed up. I have only ever ridden one other bike that explained the term 'wooden brakes' and that was a Harley. After 500 yards I decided that this was the second, so I took it home. I have a friend who is an experienced motorcycle mechanic and we went over the bike together. He was happier than me. When I looked at the carbs, one of them had a cracked housing where the main jet had been cross threaded. The repair was a jubilee clip to close the crack. I couldn't understand why the clips holding the upper of the fork bellows was not sitting correctly, until I realised that the bellows were on upside down. When I tried the kick-start, it wouldn't return without help. Do you get the picture? I can fix the bellows and strip the brakes in my sleep but I have never stripped an engine more complicated than a 'British Twin'. Bill will help me. The vendor gave me a list of parts that he had used to build the engine and there doesn't appear to be much that may need replacing. As I want to keep the original engine/frame combination, I decided that it would be best to re-build the engine. I have just read an account by Trigger on cleaning the cases and may become a lurker again!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »
Never heard of ice blasting, I've just googled it.   Most intriguing I must say.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »
I think these Honda's are easier to build than a British twin. I'm doing a Triumph twin right now and they are fit where it touches quality. Honda's are so well made they almost put themselves together. With a bit of help on here you will manage just fine.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 07:01:42 PM »
Yes Roy i agree, Easier than a British bike to rebuild.
Just do it bit by bit.
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 07:13:53 PM »
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC, did see your 750 in the gallery, has a few wrong parts, should of asked on here before you took the plunge. The advise is free  ;D ;D

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Painting Crankcases
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 10:34:01 AM »
Hello Trigger, I would have asked, if I had known the site existed at the time I was bidding. I'm from an earlier age. For example, my mobile is a phone! Also, as I said, it was a mistake to buy on e-bay, as there is a certain pressure not to lose the item. I believe that it's called 'auction fever' and I seem to have caught it on this occasion. I paid £5k for it and would have been happy if I could have simply ridden it. I am not looking for a concours winner or an auction champion, I just wanted a Sunday morning ride. If I can get the engine sorted, the rest of it is workable, although I will change the colour to the candy red alternative. I can't get original carbs as they appear to be unobtanium but I have got a decent set from a K1 to replace the set that are on it. All advice and observations are welcome. I'm too old to be 'proud'. The cylinder head seems to have a 'sand cast' finish. I don't have delusions of grandeur and know that this head was common but was it common to all CB750's.  Some clot in the past has obviously tried to lever of the head and damaged a couple of fins but I put that down to patina as I don't have the missing bits to get it fixed. What is your opinion of 'ice blasting'?

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »
Never heard of ice blasting, I've just googled it.   Most intriguing I must say.

You call it vapour blasting.

Works great.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:17:13 PM by Sgt.Pinback »
cheers, Uli

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Painting Crankcases
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »
I know marginally less than the square root of nothing about engineering but I love the internet. Vapour blasting, also known as wet blasting or liquid honing uses water and an abrasive medium blasted at the component. I think that these are very small glass or plastic beads. The water buffers and lubricates the particles on impact allowing fine finishes to be produced without damaging the component. I was going to use that until I was directed towards ‘Ice Blasting’, which uses dry ice that evaporates on contact taking the muck with it (it says in the blurb) and leaves no residue to block oil-ways etc. I was happy with that until I read Triggers entry about acid baths and ovens to get oil out of metal, so now I am doing more research. Thanks for the input though as it is the only way that the job will get done. My first entry asked if anyone knew of companies for cleaning and painting that can be recommended in south-east England. The request still stands, although if they are that rare I will consider going further afield.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »

You call it vapour blasting.

Works great.

Vapour blasting is glass bead and water  ;) ice blasting is dried ice  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal