Author Topic: Painting Crankcases  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Painting Crankcases
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
Never heard of ice blasting, I've just googled it.   Most intriguing I must say.

You call it vapour blasting.

Works great.

Vapour blasting is glass bead and water  ;) ice blasting is dried ice  ;D

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »
Not a fan of vapour blasting, having an engine trashed my some stray glass beads lurking somewhere.   Ice blasting sounds far less risky.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 05:49:42 PM »
I know marginally less than the square root of nothing about engineering but I love the internet. Vapour blasting, also known as wet blasting or liquid honing uses water and an abrasive medium blasted at the component. I think that these are very small glass or plastic beads. The water buffers and lubricates the particles on impact allowing fine finishes to be produced without damaging the component. I was going to use that until I was directed towards ‘Ice Blasting’, which uses dry ice that evaporates on contact taking the muck with it (it says in the blurb) and leaves no residue to block oil-ways etc. I was happy with that until I read Triggers entry about acid baths and ovens to get oil out of metal, so now I am doing more research. Thanks for the input though as it is the only way that the job will get done. My first entry asked if anyone knew of companies for cleaning and painting that can be recommended in south-east England. The request still stands, although if they are that rare I will consider going further afield.

Ice blasting was introduced for the removal of graffiti from walls and was promoted to local councils who use them until they found out that the running cost was well over the top, and went back to chemicals. The ice blasting sales people had no one else to promote it to, so they went for engine cleaning about 8 years ago. I had a sales person try to impress me with his new machine so, I gave him the worst head known to man (well, a grubby one from the work shop) he spent a hour trying to clean it and failed. The running costs were out of this world.
The best I have ever seen was a laser blaster which did a perfect job but, I would need a sub station to supply the amount of electric needed to run it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:59:12 PM by Trigger »

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 09:25:22 PM »
 :o :o :o

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:26 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
Never heard of ice blasting, I've just googled it.   Most intriguing I must say.

You call it vapour blasting.

Works great.

Vapour blasting is glass bead and water  ;) ice blasting is dried ice  ;D

That’s what I meant and we call it dried ice blasting here. Had that done to my old cars and that works good. Nothing left over, just water.
cheers, Uli

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »
I gave him the worst head known to man

Well Graham I never knew you swung that way, does Julie know?
Got to say when I first read it that is exactly what I thought. Dirty boy  ;D ;D ;)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Yamahawk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »
Mr._Sheene, that's a nice looking Honda CB750! I am sure that you will enjoy it once it is sorted out. As far as the worst head known to man comment... well, practice makes perfect  :o :o :o ... Just kidding!  ::)

On another note, sometimes questions and instructions can be misinterpreted, as per my Space Quest IV game, where the hero Roger Wilco finds a hint book in a Space Mall software store... The question was, "My game came on 3.5" disks, but I have a 5.25" disk drive...  how do I get a bigger disk?"
The answer read...
"First of all, don't be misled by ads depicting hormone injections, pumps, or enlargement tools... and, try to remember, it's not the size that counts! Oh... did you say, 'disk'?"
Charlie

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
Mr Sheen, welcome to the forum.
Having read your thread I can recommend I-cleenz machinez in Penge, South East London. They do an excellent vapour blast clean job in house and they really are meticulous both being bikers themselves. As well as vapour blasting they also have a blasting booth big enough for frames.
I have no connection with the company but have used them when restoring my 400/4, Morini 350 and the CB250RSA. Vintage car engine restoration companies also use them, enough said! They are not cheap (£25 to vapour blast a single carb) but worth the money.
The father is called John and the Son is George,  call them and tell them you heard about them through the forum and who knows, you might get a discount!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Penge
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 06:27:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I am collecting all the advice that I can get at the moment. Then it's engine out time. £25 a carb is a bit eye watering but if they clear all the muck it may be worth it. I only paid £150 for the carbs but they do need cleaning. The old vinegar and salt solution won't work on these.

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 08:39:09 PM »
I forgot to mention the £25 is for a vapour blast AND ultrasonic clean! You need to strip the carbs first though but at least that allows you to get the zinc parts replated  :)
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal