Author Topic: Rear brake shoes  (Read 684 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Rear brake shoes
« on: November 25, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
just received a set of shoes for my 500/K1

they didn't fit ,the mounting points were about 3mm to wide,and would have needed some refinishing to fit ,

anyone had this issue before?
 the part number PH316 from  DSS at Leiston,
they are going to check with an original Honda shoe,from their US base .

failing them have the right ones,were do I get a set ?
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
John, did you get a resolution on this?
I've had some DSS rear shoes for a while, but not fitted. Checking them I find that the material at the round pivot hole is about 1.5mm thicker than the shoes fitted and the retaining plate and split pins isn't going to fit without modifying. Also one is slightly over at the cam end.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »
John, did you get a resolution on this?
I've had some DSS rear shoes for a while, but not fitted. Checking them I find that the material at the round pivot hole is about 1.5mm thicker than the shoes fitted and the retaining plate and split pins isn't going to fit without modifying. Also one is slightly over at the cam end.

not yet,they are importing from DSS USA stock genuine Honda brake shoes,they promised to get back to me in about a weeks time.

my shoes are exactly as yours,

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »
just had a phone call from DSS,

they have a set of genuine rear shoes in stock,and guess what ??

they measure exactly the same as the pattern parts ,so a complete mystery why mine and Seagetbeowner shoes are smaller,
 usual comments,we sell lots of these ,and never get complaints ,

but they are willing to have them returned and credited ,

may I suggest you check any brake shoes for fit,and any problems contact them

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »
What do a set of genuine rear shoes cost these days? They were £20 when I last bought a few sets and pattern ones were £12 and at that point I started adapting a backplane to take classic mini shoes, partly because the sidecar can carry the same shoes on its side so I was thinking a linked rear brake system might be a good move, plus a handbrake would be handy. Mini shoes came in at half the price. I wonder if they might be adapted to fit the stock cb500 drum setup, I rather think they could. I'm a bit circumspect about buying pattern brake shoes these days, had a few sets shed their linings and even a brake pad drop it's lining a year after fitting in the past few years so eBay sales of questionable pattern bits are out of my books for mission critical bits after that, as well as pattern from Silver's as I think one set of shoes at least came from there, pattern not genuine, I'd not bought genuine in years. At least old classic car shoes can be sourced as riveted linings. Having a rear wheel lock up as the lining jams your rear wheel is a not to be repeated expirience.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
these are from DSS,
 hopefully he is more reliable than some Ebay products,

speaking from memory the set of pattern cost about £20 ,the originals cost about double

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 11:35:36 PM »
Me thinks that Sliver has superseded the part number to the wrong part. Had this before from them on 500K0 reflector rubbers. The original number for the shoes was 43120-283-000 and I think it has been superseded to 43120-458-305, still a genuine part but, not original ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal