Author Topic: Number plate - period correct  (Read 624 times)

Offline Luke87

• View Profile
Number plate - period correct
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:31:17 PM »
Hi all. Apologies if this has been covered before, I have searched but couldn't find the exact answer.
I've just had my V5 for my 1976 CB550 import.
If it was a uk bike what plate would it of had in the 70s? Would it of been a pressed aluminium plate, or the type with the separate digits stuck on?
From what I've read I assume a black and silver plate could be displayed, but I'd rather have the type it would of had originally if it was uk registered. Thanks. Luke

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Number plate - period correct
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
Your bike would have had a yellow plate with adhesive numbers and letter just like the modern ones, pre 73 had black and silver, but as from May next year any vehicle that falls into the 40 year old category will be road tax and MOT exempt and qualify for black and silver number plates.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »
I am 90% sure it would have the yellow/black style.

checking it seems only vehicles registered pre jan 1975 can use black/silver plates

check this link

https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co.uk/newsroom/news-and-articles/can-i-display-black-silver-number-plate/
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Luke87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »
Yes I would of thought it would of had a yellow plate, but the type of yellow plate I was more unsure of. I'm less keen on a modern reflective plate as it doesn't seem right that a 40 year old bike would have the same type of plate as a brand new bike. I'm swaying towards the type with the raised digits riveted on.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
I've an old plate from 1975,  black on yellow in aluminium with the letters raised by pressing from the rear.

So integral with the plate all from one sheet of aluminium, but raised profile on display side.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »
At the time, black and white numberplates were illegal on vehicles registered after 31/12/72, as a traffic copper on the M6 pointed out to me after pulling me over for having one on my 1977 Triumph T140V. I don't remember why, I guess I thought it looked cooler  8) , and my plastic yellow one had broken with vibration (again). He let me off with a bollocking and a promise to change it.

What he hadn't noticed was, as I was recovering my bike to Lancaster after a recent crash in Manchester, I'd nearly gone into the back of his Range Rover when he pulled up on the hard shoulder, due to the lack of a front disc (I'd taken it off because it was broken) plus the forks and front wheel were bent to buggery. Not big or clever I know, but I was a student and couldn't afford to hire a van.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 05:17:53 PM »
Most dealers used yellow plate with stick on numbers for ease, not knowing what the local dvla office would issue BUT a few bigger ones used pressed out plates and the accrilic were just comming in

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »
Ok not exact replica of modern ones, i had a brand new Honda in 1974, it came with a yellow reflective plastic plate and stick on black numbers and letters straight from the dealership, i also remember one of my mates having the pressed alluminuim type it was like a barn door bolted to the back of the bike it were huge.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:29:07 PM by kevski »

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
I am 90% sure it would have the yellow/black style.

checking it seems only vehicles registered pre jan 1975 can use black/silver plates

check this link

https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co.uk/newsroom/news-and-articles/can-i-display-black-silver-number-plate/

That's and old item, the black plate is now like the road tax and is on the rolling 40 year of age basis, which will make no difference to me as i will stick to modern plates on both my classics, and i will also keep MOT'ing them.

Offline Luke87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 05:35:32 PM »
Thank you for your informed replies.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
You can still order the ali pressed plates, heres an e.g.

Click
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal