Author Topic: Headlight change  (Read 1413 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight change
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 10:04:44 PM »
She missed you coz you're a shortarse, she drove straight at you, but lost sight of you over the bonnet!
I won't have a word said against my little shrimp, he is the perfect gentleman.....and he gave me the right colour code to paint my kitchen cupboard doors. No man has ever done that for me before 😊😊😊
Oh dear nursey, you're obviously too easy to please, but then.....
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »
Yep, that just about says it all Hairy, the simple things in life are the best.......and no, I'm not talking about Trigger !!!

This thread has gone off at a bit of a tangent ☺☺☺
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 07:55:54 AM »
Had a closer look at the DS reflector and I didn't see a fitting for a position light. My CB500K2-ED came with a 55/60 Watts H4 halogen and I never had a charging problem, so I take reports from the US on this with a grain of salt. We must realise Yanks are used to take a motor for distances even as short as to and fro the mailbox, idle a lot at traffic lights and their headlight is already on before the bike is even started, not to mention the good for nothing markerlights in the blinkers that nevertheless consume an extra 16 Watts.
Stay away from cheap halogen bulbs. They won't live long or will offer reduced light soon. From what I've seen, Philips offers the best halogens. In practically every test they come out first (Osram's Nightbreaker is also good). You have the Philips X-treme Vision Moto that was specially designed for motorcycles. If you don't want your halogen to draw more amps than a conventional 40/45Watts bulb, there's the specially designed Philips Ecovision H4 that draws 20% less than the ordinary halogen. I would not go Led before you have seen independent test results that suggest it's better in every aspect.
I like to be seen by all those dreamers in cars
Here's a warning. In Europe there are documented cases of accidents where a driver, irritated by the headlight of an oncoming vehicle, steered close to teach the other a lesson and occasionaly steered too close... I'd avoid headlights that irritate others and prefer to stay legal.
So from 1980 on, when I bought my CB500, I've continued using the 55/60 Watts H4 halogen it came with and never had any charging problems. Every ride I return with a better charged battery than I took of with. I don't like to ride in cities. When you install a halogen bulb, avoid touching it with your fingers.
This is what I recently changed in my headlamp, but you need an European headlamp reflector* for it: I replaced the 4 Watts Ba9s position bulb, that is not very useful, by a dito 20 Watts halogen that I now use as my DRL. Saves fuel by saving 35-40 Watts. I looked for a suitable led for that purpose, but an expert explained me the result would be no good without the special reflector a led needs. BTW, I'm still looking for a stylish switch to mount on the handlebar so I can just switch the pilot light on only and without the taillight and instruments lights. Whenever I'd need those, like on entering a tunnel, I could still switch the standard Honda RH handlebar to "P" and so add instruments lights and taillight.
*I'd have an European headlight reflector suitable for H4. Cibié, Hella, Bosch, Marchal are all good and aproved!) and with the Philips X-treme Vision Moto H4 in it, you'll have the very best. On countryroads in the dark the UStype sealed beam headlamp is next to useless. For you in UK the reflector must ofcourse be suitable for left hand drive. For me leds in the gauges are annoyingly bright. I have normal 3 Watts bulbs (x 4).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:37:16 PM by deltarider »

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
I'd agree with the above, using these in 7 inch headlight units fitted to an older car. The 4300k colour balance gives quite a white light for straight ( non blue coloured)  halogen bulb. The dip beam is really impressive.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Used both Phillips and Osram in industrial calibrated systems because of accuracy,  lifing quality etc. Measurably better than most

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 08:51:59 AM »
Good info Delta Rider and K2-K6, thanks for your input
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
Hi, I put the non boasted led in my car and they were only good for side lights at best £20 wasted!

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 07:29:49 PM »
Change all your other lights to LED's and you can just about have any headlamp you want, but I've got a Philips Eco H4 which gives out about 25% more than a standard H4
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »
The headlight unit arrived today. Advertised as a motorbike conversion, arrived with pilot lamp and main/dip lamp but no H4 connector. I’ve trial fitted it and it all fits ok but I can’t go further without the H4 connector. Ordered one off Amazon. It will be here in a few days.

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 01:38:23 PM »
Connector arrived today. All wired in and working. Need good weather during the hours of darkness to see if the light is an improvement.

I did take the opportunity to wire the pilot light to a switched live and replaced the supplied pilot lamp with an LED one. Got a nice LED DLR now.

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 01:45:44 PM »
The DLR LED looks brighter than the old headlight was  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal