Author Topic: Gauge Dampening  (Read 543 times)

Offline sgd37

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Gauge Dampening
« on: December 09, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have my gauges apart for refurbishing, and I refilled the pot on the speedometer with 50,000 cst sillicone oil. While it is better than it was, it's still not as damped as the speedometer which I haven't touched. Does anyone know if this is normal or have I gone wrong somewhere?

Thanks

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Gauge Dampening
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 07:49:12 AM »
Usually it is caused by the cables. Decades ago I had a speedo that went wild  above 140 km/h and the tacho wasn't reliable either. I removed the inner cables, wiped them clean with some petroleum, lubed them with some lithium grease and all was stable. Did this some 30 years and 80.000kms ago and sofar I did not need to do it again.

Offline sgd37

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »
thanks delta but I have the gauges apart and can spin the needle with my hand so no effect from cable, and the speedo is slower to reset than the rev-counter. Should they reset with the same speed?

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »
There's always a slight difference between the damping effect on two gauges. It's difficult to decide on how little damping with be effective. The damping is there to prevent the needle 'wavering' due to vibration emulating from the engine and road surface. Obviously once the drive ceases to be turned the needle drops immediately to zero there is no damping effect but if there's some delay in falling to zero it's probably OK.  Gauge drive cables can cause 'wavering' needles if the cable revolutions are inconstant, effectively speeding up and slowing down as they revolve. Correct cable routing is essential, a bend that's too tight could cause the cable to bind.

Offline sgd37

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »
Thanks kent, I guess I'll leave it alone.

Regarding the routing, I don't remember how it was when I disassembled it. Does the rev cable go beneath the bottom fork bridge or above it?

Cheers

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
Should go below it and is pretty tight on full left lock.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal