Author Topic: CB400f - Greem/red (starter safety wire)  (Read 445 times)

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
CB400f - Greem/red (starter safety wire)
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »

Having quite a few issues with the wiring loom but finally getting things working using a multimeter and diagrams, unfortunately a PO has used different wires and so I have had to track them back...  the final puzzle is the Green and red wire - This is the starter safety wire and was changed to brown half way down the loom.  I cannot see on the bike where this connects up the loom away from the electrics panel, I seem to recall the original wire was earthed in the headlamp unit but cannot be sure.

Can anyone shed any light on where this connects and its fucntion. The bike cranks ok but I wasnt aware the CB400f had a safety circuit for starting! Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Offline andut

• SOHC Member
  • CB400F, CB400F Cafe & NC30
    • View Profile
Re: CB400f - Greem/red (starter safety wire)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
From distant memory, the dark green and red is the starter solenoid switched earth controlled by the clutch lever switch.  The solenoid is also switched by the neutral switch via a light green and red wire, so it will crank as long as it's in neutral, but if in gear, it shouldn't crank unless clutch lever is pulled.

Bit strange if it's connected to a brown wire though - that's usually a switched live !

Sounds like you have some interesting wiring to check

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: CB400f - Greem/red (starter safety wire)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 02:47:53 PM »
Thanks guys, well yes the wiring is a mess in places but we are getting there just ! I think at some stage someone has bypassed it by just earthing it.  Following the diagram yes I can see its attached to the Neutral switch and if the clutch where not depressed it would not be earthed and not start, I think some just earthed it fully. I want the bike to have as little interference as possible so I will just ground the lead to avoid issues. The Neutral light works and all my bikes can be started in gear so I'm used to holding clutch in even if the light is on!

The next is to work out why my high beam indicator isnt working and make sure we have spark .. wiring is my weak spot but I'm enjoying learning!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal