Author Topic: Mounting solid state reg rec  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Mounting solid state reg rec
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »
i need to mount a solid state reg rec onto the battery tray, what’s the usual way people go about this? I don’t mind making my own mounts/ brackets etc

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting solid state reg rec
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
It shouldn't be to hard to make brackets its yet another job on my to do list I cable tied mine as a quick fix and went out for a ride about 4 years ago  ::)
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 02:12:19 PM »
My bikes in bits and looking at the location to mount the reg Rev was overlooked before I took it apart. Need to get the battery tray powdercoated but don’t want the hassle of reassembling anything first to work out wheee it’s going to go. Being lazy really!

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »
I’ll probably go for what @onethumb did here:

Seems a good way to keep things cool

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 12:04:13 AM »
had a quick look at my battery tray and it seems mine is substantially different from the one posted above so that mounting method won't work without some modifications. I wonder if the batt tray changed over the years then...

Offline Yamahawk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 12:43:06 PM »
That's a nice mount he made, but perhaps not the best spot as it is behind the engine and catches heat from it. It's also out of the air flow, unless the hot air mixes with cool as it swirls around behind the engine. You really want to keep the VR out in some type of cool air for longevity. Mine was hung behind the battery/reg/rectifier box by the PO, and has an 'L' bracket with spacer off the rear left side of the box, and then a bolt and spacer into the rear fender guard at the appropriate spot. There should be enough air there to cool it, and it fits ok. If I get a chance, later today I will post a picture of it.
Charlie

Offline Yamahawk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »
Here is a pic of the VR mounted to the back of the battery box and the fender  splash guard.
Charlie

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:02:58 PM »
had a quick look at my battery tray and it seems mine is substantially different from the one posted above so that mounting method won't work without some modifications. I wonder if the batt tray changed over the years then...

A few different battery boxes over the years, most people mount it to the underside of the battery box. Loads of room  ;)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 10:48:08 PM »
I ended up just altering the battery box a little bit and mounted it here:

I reckon there’s enough air flow behind the side panel to keep it cool.

As for the underside, I indent to mount a transistorised ignition under there so it’s occupado  :)

Also got a bladed fuse box to make a mount for.

Pimp my battery box!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:28:58 AM by Underdog1 »

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »

As for the underside, I indent to mount a transistorised ignition under there so it’s occupado  :)

Pimp my battery box!
That looks like the perfect place

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Yamahawk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 12:00:12 PM »

Pimp my battery box!

It is a nice mount! Well done! I am also getting rid of the three glass fuse holder, and have made a new harness for the 4 blade fuse holder I purchased from eBay for $5.90... it is in my state, but not in my possession yet lol. Probably receive it after Christmas. The solenoid that came with my bike doesn't have a bolt-on bracket like yours, mine came with the rubber sleeve with the two slits for mounting on two sheet metal tabs, but for the life of me, I can't figure out where they might be. I still have the 1971 battery box, but I do have a later one like yours, that has the bolt on fuse tabs, and the starter safety switch tabs also, along with the rectifier and regulator tabs. I was thinking of swapping it out, but it has no tabs for the solenoid either. So, I will probably zip tie it somewhere provident.
Charlie

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 02:06:44 PM »

Pimp my battery box!

It is a nice mount! Well done! I am also getting rid of the three glass fuse holder, and have made a new harness for the 4 blade fuse holder I purchased from eBay for $5.90... it is in my state, but not in my possession yet lol. Probably receive it after Christmas. The solenoid that came with my bike doesn't have a bolt-on bracket like yours, mine came with the rubber sleeve with the two slits for mounting on two sheet metal tabs, but for the life of me, I can't figure out where they might be. I still have the 1971 battery box, but I do have a later one like yours, that has the bolt on fuse tabs, and the starter safety switch tabs also, along with the rectifier and regulator tabs. I was thinking of swapping it out, but it has no tabs for the solenoid either. So, I will probably zip tie it somewhere provident.
Charlie

Yeah I bought a 6 way fuse holder from eBay thinking I could hold a spare of each fuse in there. With the reg rec on there it’s a bit bi so I’ve just ordered a 4 way version.

Easy enough to make a solenoid bracket if you’re not worried about originality.

Offline Yamahawk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
yeah, I guess I could bend up a 'U' shape at the proper centers for the slits in the rubber holder, and then bolt or weld it to the battery box! I will use the 4th fuse holder as a spare 15 amp fuse holder, it is good for them all then lol...
Charlie
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 02:19:06 PM by Yamahawk »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 02:45:31 PM »
What's wrong with the fuse box you have in the picture ?. There should be a cover for it and in the cover, is where the spare fuse's are housed.

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »
What's wrong with the fuse box you have in the picture ?. There should be a cover for it and in the cover, is where the spare fuse's are housed.

id be re-wiring it anyway to avoid issues with the original wiring and blade fuse holders are cheap, so why wouldn’t I? It’s hardly much effort

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal