Author Topic: HondaTwins seems like a waste of space these days or is it just me?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
I find recently that if you post sensible questions, but not necessarily 'run-of-the-mill' ones, on HondaTwins.net you get almost zero response. I am wondering if a lot of people have migrated over to model specific Facebook 'Closed Groups' .... The Facebook one on the C72/CB72/CB77 is awesome  and the CB250/350K one is fairly good too plus there is also a Black Bomber one and one on the SS125/CD125 which both are pretty good too.. Don't get me wrong I was very anti-FB for many years ... I only joined to gain access to DS's postings and getting sensible answers from them plus they occasionally offer some of their 'finds' for sale to FB members only ...that's how I got my CB500K0 dealer -take off seat.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: HondaTwins seems like a waste of space these days or is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
I find recently that if you post sensible questions, but not necessarily 'run-of-the-mill' ones, on HondaTwins.net you get almost zero response. I am wondering if a lot of people have migrated over to model specific Facebook 'Closed Groups' .... The Facebook one on the C72/CB72/CB77 is awesome  and the CB250/350K one is fairly good too plus there is also a Black Bomber one and one on the SS125/CD125 which both are pretty good too.. Don't get me wrong I was very anti-FB for many years ... I only joined to gain access to DS's postings and getting sensible answers from them plus they occasionally offer some of their 'finds' for sale to FB members only ...that's how I got my CB500K0 dealer -take off seat.
I can honestly say this sohc forum is so much friendlier than many others
I have and am still on several other forums that just don't have same positive vibe as here

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:53:59 PM »
I've found that too.  Some of the 'characters ' on the other forums enjoy spouting off with their own opinions on everything making it off-putting asking questions.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 06:02:55 PM »
I don't have much to say here but love reading the technical stuff every day. You lot do have a good craic that reminds me years ago of a forum that turned into a club I belong to. Unfortunately FB has almost ended that.

We are finding folk ask questions on FB which get answered much the same as a forum but once the thread is a few days old it almost disappears, unlike a forum that can be searched back. I too was very anti FB but had to join as I was missing out on events mates were going to organised on FB.

I didn't know there was a CB72/77 FB page Ash, is it closed or can I join? 
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 09:12:06 PM »
the fazer and versys forums are good, as is this one. but i am rather surprised at the lack of contributors to the vjmc forum i've just joined. their magazine is good though..
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 10:17:13 PM »
I don't have much to say here but love reading the technical stuff every day. You lot do have a good craic that reminds me years ago of a forum that turned into a club I belong to. Unfortunately FB has almost ended that.

We are finding folk ask questions on FB which get answered much the same as a forum but once the thread is a few days old it almost disappears, unlike a forum that can be searched back. I too was very anti FB but had to join as I was missing out on events mates were going to organised on FB.

I didn't know there was a CB72/77 FB page Ash, is it closed or can I join?

Yes pretty sure you can join but if not I can recommend  you. I still have your crankcase cover in the boot of my car BTW If you  send  me your address I will post it off to you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/745275825545348/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 10:45:04 PM »
Thanks Ash, I've been through the mill lately so forgot about it, the light at the end is getting brighter though.

I'll PM you.
Tom
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R

Offline Gixxer-18

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 09:55:25 PM »
I’ve been following Hondatwins for a couple of years now; and you’re right the content has decreased; but what exactly has decreased? There are newbies posting asking for help with their bikes; and some are asking obvious questions, to which the answer has been given loads of times, and can be found with a little searching.
Most of them are new members with little or no experience of the bikes they just bought.
When we started out did we know the answers to all the questions? If you did you don’t need this site, or HT.
I have noticed questions being asked that are easy to answer and most stay silent. The ones who do respond are usually the high scoring members; some have 20 K + responses and are regarded quite rightly as Guru’s.
It’s a phase; and as the membership gain knowledge we can all benefit. I was a newbie once, so were you! Give them space light; and some of them will blossom into useful members of our site!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
I suppose I get what you are saying Gixxer but there has to be a balance ...you help out newbies and encourage them but at the same time you expect some kind of response to more 'in depth'  questions. Also, I scanned loads of Honda manuals that they have been crying out for on there, which other members must have copies of but it's too much effort for them to scan but , again, very little feedback after I posted them on there. I bet if I asked my questions on the relevant FB Groups I would get lots of responses. However, as somebody quite rightly stated on here,  the replies on FB just get lost, which is a real shame. For example someone on FB posted about  the early hydraulic cam chain tensioner fitted to the CB250K0, in response to a question I asked. He went into some depth about the  fixes that Honda UK did when owners experienced problems with them. Sadly I forgot to copy the text from that post and I can't find it now.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 08:51:42 AM »
And there is the problem with FB groups - searching for info is never the same as a forum.

Gixxer, you say
the answer has been given loads of times, and can be found with a little searching.
I'm not an expert at FB-ing, what method do you use to find old posts? As Ash says, even when I know there is a post with answers I need only a few weeks old I can never find it again to re-read.
Tom
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R

Offline Gixxer-18

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 09:39:22 PM »
I was referring to the search features on HT website; and I’ve been guilty in the past of asking without searching the data base for answers.
I’ve seen the questions asked by Ash about his bikes; but I don’t have the answers he wants so I’ve stayed silent. 
I have found some of the respondents to be quite condescending sometimes in replying to newbies questions and also found some of the questions to be frankly moronic in their context but we are talking Americans here. They start off “ so I did this.. I have this ... and it’s clearly obvious that they haven’t used the search engine. It tends to make me tune out.
Peace and good health to all.
Nigel

Offline Gixxer-18

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 09:53:21 PM »
Also I was asked sometime ago if I could help out with manuals and parts fiches in PDF Format; and I have spent hours like others on this site converting them into PDF’s and  I’d love to put the CB250/400N and CB250 RS manuals that I have on the site. I haven’t compressed the files; and they are quite large, but good quality as a result. I’ve also got CB350/4, FSM and parts fiche, CB200,
CB360, CL450; and some Suzuki manuals as well. 
Night.
Nigel.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »
Also I was asked sometime ago if I could help out with manuals and parts fiches in PDF Format; and I have spent hours like others on this site converting them into PDF’s and  I’d love to put the CB250/400N and CB250 RS manuals that I have on the site. I haven’t compressed the files; and they are quite large, but good quality as a result. I’ve also got CB350/4, FSM and parts fiche, CB200,
CB360, CL450; and some Suzuki manuals as well. 
Night.
Nigel.

Hi Nigel...Some of those manuals would be really useful and I know for a fact that people on this site will really appreciate your efforts if you put them on here. If it helps, I can include them in my dropbox links. I am sure that members will also help by reducing the file sizes if you need help. JamesH did this for me until Hairygit kindly provided me with the correct software to do it myself. I have already included the CB250/360 G5 parts book kindly  scanned by Chris on here and I am about to link the Genuine Shop manual for that bike , which I recently scanned to .pdf

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 02:32:22 PM »
I’ve also got CB350/4, FSM and parts fiche, CB200, CB360, CL450; 
Night.
Nigel.

A Cl450 parts list would be  ;D I have to use the CMS ones, which jump from K0 to K2, missing out my K1.

My one post on HondaTwins, which I put some time into, hosting pictures etc, was met with utter tumble weed, so I didn't bother to follow it up.

That said It's a good archive of posts from people who have been there, done that, with a bike like mine, if you can be bothered to search, and filter out BS. What outrages me when I go on old forum posts now is the damage the photobucket have done to them, pulling all the photos that we put up in good faith.

[rant]I've read that the likes of Bill Gates worry that there will be, one day in the future, nothing to show for all this vast amount of knowledge that we have put online, as there will be nothing that can read it. This is the tip of the iceberg, and I'm not happy. :( [/rant]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:03:03 PM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
I agree about digital images,music,and the written word,

what happens to all the early digital pics taken years ago,and maybe left on the old hard drives?

accessable to nobody,history gone !!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal