Author Topic: Seat foam  (Read 680 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Seat foam
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »
I need to source some foam for a metal seat pan, been recommended I use closed cell foam to avoid t going mouldy but beyond that I’ve no ideas

I’ve heard of people using yoga mats but that seams a bit too cheapskate and can’t inagine it would be much good. Does anyone know where I can get some proper stuff from?

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Seat foam
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »
P&K classic bikes 01543 274176.  not cheap but one of the best. dont know if they will sell you just the foam though..
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »
Google coach trimming suppliers near to you, they should have what you need. You'll need at least medium density foam or if making a custom seat a thin layer of hard density foam with an top layer of medium foam. You could always use medium foam with a gel pad on top (and under the seat cover) if you are getting a seat custom made.
All foam is light sensitive and eventually turns to dust (or goes rock hard if made from Dunlopillo). Trick is to avoid getting direct sunlight onto the foam. Closed cell is normally molded foam to a specific shape and has an outer skin such as OE seat foam. You can get other types of closed cell foam, the coach trimming suppliers can guide you.
If none of the above suit, buy a 400/4 seat and discover what real pain feels like after 100 miles  :-\!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 07:19:11 AM »
Laverda explained this very well, you need the combination of firm and comfortable. You will also need to drill breather holes in the seat pan. P&K get there seat form from Bob, not very comfortable foam  ;)   

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »
Laverda explained this very well, you need the combination of firm and comfortable. You will also need to drill breather holes in the seat pan. P&K get there seat form from Bob, not very comfortable foam  ;)

Are the breather holes to let air out when he foam is compressed? How many we talking and what diameter?

I plan on riveting the covering straight to the pan, presumably these will be far too airtight to suffice?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 10:02:46 AM »
A few at about one inch dia. I would not try to rivet the cover on, it will rip after time. I rivet these to a seat pan and it is easy to firmly hold a cover >>> https://www.upholsteryshop.co.uk/shop/upholstery-sundries/ply-grip/tack-strip-tacktite-30-1-strip/

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
Does anyone know where you buy red Dunlopillo material.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
A few at about one inch dia. I would not try to rivet the cover on, it will rip after time. I rivet these to a seat pan and it is easy to firmly hold a cover >>> https://www.upholsteryshop.co.uk/shop/upholstery-sundries/ply-grip/tack-strip-tacktite-30-1-strip/

Thanks for the tip bud!

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »
I have never seen red Dunlopillo Ash, all the Dunlopillo material I have ever used and seen has been either cream or white in colour.  Have you tried contacting Dunlopillo, info@dunlopillo.co.uk they may be able to guide you.
I've seen red polyurethane cushion material but it's nothing like Dunlopillo, it certainly wouldn't last as long.
The big advantage of Dunlopillo is its ability to hold its shape as it's normally moulded. We used to use it on Routemaster bus seats but only on the side of the cushion and squab where the leather anti wear panel was stitched to the main moquette. The remainder of the filling was normal foam, Dunlopillo was much to expensive to use for the whole cushion. As Dunlopillo and most other foams were not fire compliant in the 70's & 80's we used to make the Underground seats in layers with springs, chor matting, canvas, horse hair, calico and finally the cut moquette cover. It used to take 5 hours to make an underground seat from scratch, every layer of material was hand stitched using 12 inch double ended bayonet pointed needles. Because we were on piece work and bonus pay we used to go as fast as we could with the result of a few unintentional 'stabbings' with the needles! We used magnetic hammers to pull the tacks out from our mouth, we'd put 30 tacks in our mouth at once and turn them over to face the right way with our tongue ready to pull out from our mouth with the mag hammer!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »
ok untill you sneeze.....
my uncle was an upholsterer and thats exactly how he used to do it....

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 05:09:25 PM »
Just got in touch with a lad I used to know at uni who weirdly ended up setting an upholstery business up. He reckons lire grade high density over reconditioned and is pointing me towards a supplier. I’ll share on here if it works well  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal