Author Topic: Life changing event  (Read 4159 times)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Life changing event
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2018, 08:23:42 PM »
Good to hear an insurer paying out and being decent. Glad that you are getting back up on your feet. I hope the lowlife are headed to being caught soon. In case they 're visit be sure to set up cctv and security lighting and if cctv goes in make sure they cannot nick the hdd containing the evidence. Ideally have it set so you get an email when someone triggers the system within a tightly set parameter. Be nice to catch the miscreaments red handed, though deterrent is probably better.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2018, 08:28:57 PM »
I had my work's Astra nicked, along with my tools.  When the car was recovered the gearbox was missing.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2018, 07:54:43 AM »
Unless they have changed the rules you can buy Nitro powder for pistol and rifle cartridge reloading without a licence also shotgun cartridge powder and all the sizes of primer. You can not buy gunpowder without a licence though.

As to detrimental "sticky" stuff I used to use two greases one called Clydspin and the other Barbatia 4, the first to lubricate moving parts under superheated steam temp and press the second for seawater application----both took days to scrub off the skin.

I am of course, in no way, advocating the use of any of this to discourage "scroates" ;) ;)

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2018, 08:29:26 AM »
Haha yep we have grease like that, Kluber grease. The first time we stripped the gearbox we tried to wash out the grease in the parts washer it just wouldn't dissolve, tried every solvent on site, nothing would touch it, ended up using a box full of rags and simply wiping it out and sending the rags for incineration.

When replacing it we had a shock Click   :o
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2018, 09:25:34 AM »
use the shotgun trick to stop do as you likies nicking the Pheasants with caterpults.
worked a treat.
They don't come through the hedges any more ;D ;D
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »
Does anyone remember the company that advertised in MCN in the 90's and who used to sell a tripwire linked to a shotgun cartridge! The trigger would hit the cartridge when the trip wire was moved by Johnny Burgler when attempting to break into your garage. Nasty shock for someone!Unfortunately you can no longer buy it!

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/bits-and-bobs/blank-firing-alarm-mines.html

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »
When I raced classics I had a gallon or so of used Castrol  R after every meeting that got painted onto my fence, which discouraged the scrotes from hanging around in the alley at the side of my house, as leaning on the fence would spoil their shell suits.

When said fence got smashed a copper turned up eventually, when I suggested it would be me in trouble if I were to chase them and give them a good hiding, he smiled, looked me in the eye and said “not if you were wearing a balaclava” :)

I’ve had a few old Mercs over the years, fed up of the badges getting broken off I took a new one and ground the back off on my wheel. It was that sharp I once cut myself washing the car, if I found fingers on the bonnet the story was going to be that I’d bought it like that and knew nothing about it.

The badge lasted over a year, the night it did go, I heard a scream outside in the early hours....
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2018, 07:51:35 AM »
If it can be fitted, then it can be removed very easy with a battery angle grinder. Easy way is don't leave tools in a van, if they are not there, then they can't be nicked. And a sticker saying: "No tools left in van over night" doesn't work  ;)
That's easy to say Trig when you just have a few items to take out of your van. Look at it another way, if you don't want your workshop/shop/office robbing take everything home with you every night. Just simply impossible to do. The amount of tools and stock I have to carry daily does not give me the option of emptying it every night. The van "is" my transport/office/shop/workshop. Plus they stole the whole van so I would have had to take that into the house every night as well.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2018, 09:13:35 AM »
If it can be fitted, then it can be removed very easy with a battery angle grinder. Easy way is don't leave tools in a van, if they are not there, then they can't be nicked. And a sticker saying: "No tools left in van over night" doesn't work  ;)
That's easy to say Trig when you just have a few items to take out of your van. Look at it another way, if you don't want your workshop/shop/office robbing take everything home with you every night. Just simply impossible to do. The amount of tools and stock I have to carry daily does not give me the option of emptying it every night. The van "is" my transport/office/shop/workshop. Plus they stole the whole van so I would have had to take that into the house every night as well.
Not exactly true about not been able to empty the van every day. Thousands of market traders do it every day in far bigger vans with far more stock. If you do it every day you make it easy to fill and empty.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:16 AM »
Empting them every day doesn't work if you still park your van on the drive.
Years ago my neighbour had his van emptied about a month later they came back and emptied it again.
He replaced the tools again and started putting the tools in the garage at night and backing the van tight up against the door.
About another month went by and they got in the van again realising it was empty they rolled the van forward and emptied the garage taking more then previously as there were additional tools stored in there.
 He quit building and started up a firing range in Spain in the end.

Its also worth noting I live at the end of a small cul-de-sac and no van or car normally goes unmissed day or night.

It turned out to be the traveling community causing havoc luckily the local static so called travellers run them out of town.

I'm starting to get a bit paranoid again at the moment as the non local travellers have started to come down the road again in there pikey waggon and they managed to get a good look inside my garage when the door was up. I turned around and he was standing almost in the garage clocking everything.
Not good when it was setup as a joiners shop and most of the bikes were in full view on the drive.     
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2018, 12:48:43 PM »
Empting them every day doesn't work if you still park your van on the drive.
Years ago my neighbour had his van emptied about a month later they came back and emptied it again.
He replaced the tools again and started putting the tools in the garage at night and backing the van tight up against the door.
About another month went by and they got in the van again realising it was empty they rolled the van forward and emptied the garage taking more then previously as there were additional tools stored in there.
 He quit building and started up a firing range in Spain in the end.

Its also worth noting I live at the end of a small cul-de-sac and no van or car normally goes unmissed day or night.

It turned out to be the traveling community causing havoc luckily the local static so called travellers run them out of town.

I'm starting to get a bit paranoid again at the moment as the non local travellers have started to come down the road again in there pikey waggon and they managed to get a good look inside my garage when the door was up. I turned around and he was standing almost in the garage clocking everything.
Not good when it was setup as a joiners shop and most of the bikes were in full view on the drive.   
They will have noted what you have
Thieves also exchange info amongst eachother
I had my gate open and about 4 bikes were visable a moped with 1 person no helmet went by really slow gawping in so I shut the gate about an hour later same moped with 3 scumbags ballaclavered up came past my house I heard them coming so gates were shut, me thinks they were coming back to steal
I am a bit paranoid now
I have locks on both sides of gates so if they cut the front they still can't get in or climb over
But the scroates are so resorsfull now and always one step ahead and very confident now that the no chase rule is in place

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2018, 08:58:00 AM »
If anyone out there has their garage located off a back service road I would suggest taking a lead and getting alley gates installed, a lot of local councils provide grants for this.
97 houses back onto our service road and burglary was on the increase (the thieves drove their vans into the service Road, over the fence and into the rear of the selected house, no one ever saw anything). Since the lockable gates were installed 4 years ago we have had no burglaries, garage break ins, fly tipping or 'anti social' behaviour. Each household paid a one off contribution of £20, well worth it.
The only downside are the lazy dog owners in the street who now consider the closed off alley to be an acceptable dog toilet and dumping ground for their building projects. A word in their ear normally gets it shifted though.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2018, 07:15:04 PM »
I know what you mean about taking far too long to remove all tools from the van, I do odd jobs since being laid off just over a year ago, some days I'm half an hour loading tools and the same again on return home and generally I'm carrying a small tool load compared to a plumber or electrician, and heaving a small local customer base I'm normally only going 2 miles to work so popping home for a different drill is not a disaster. I like aftermarket alarms and diy installed cctv on the grounds that although it may be possible to disarm, the fact I can do the instalation in a oddball way or put 2 alarms one with 2nd battery that is independent of the vehicle or building power supply. The other thing I find is I use Lidl power tools rather than Makita, De walt et al, lower resale value makes me less tempting to hit as a target yet they do work well enough and I can carry 2 cordless drills and still have spent a lot less than the regular contractors tools cost. Basically the light fingered can always get past whatever you put to stop them, but they are motivated by ease and profit, so making your stuff harder or less rewarding to lift always helps. Try to make next door look easier metaphorically speaking, other side of town, whatever.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2018, 08:14:10 PM »
Have a sticker on the van;
"ONLY LIDL TOOLS LEFT OVERNIGHT "
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2018, 08:28:40 PM »
An old mate of mine, who I rarely see now, co-owns a family haulage business, and gave me a pair of these large stickers, meant for the back doors of an artic, for my old garage doors:

Despite being a corrugated iron garage, which you could have got in with pliers (and I dismantled with an angle grinder, then left out flatpacked for the, er, travelling comunity to take away, which they duly did)  noone ever robbed it. I did worry about waking up to find men in silver suits with geiger counters surrounding it, though.

Other fun options include:

Could cause neighbour aggro, and telling them would spoil the fear factor if word got out, but would make a passing scrote think twice.

The more I think about it, the more I think I might give him a call and get some more.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal