Author Topic: Gear selector return ?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Gear selector return ?
« on: January 12, 2018, 10:06:34 AM »

Before the strip down the bike ran great.. and gears were spot on (one of the better aspects) however since stripping the bike I've come to install the chain and gear selector and for some reason I've lost the spring back between gear selctions.

It will go into 1st and Neutral, but on selecting 1st, if I pull up the lever sticks in position rather than spring back to its original position. Its ok selecting down to 1st but it sticks going up. Strangely my Kickstart that worked lovely also now does not retract.

I know the gear selector spring is prone for going but odd that it was working.. could it be lack of oil as the engine has been fully drained and moved all over the place so perhaps the seal has dried up.. and it hasnt been run in gear at all?

Any ideas..before I start pulling apart?

Offline andut

• SOHC Member
  • CB400F, CB400F Cafe & NC30
    • View Profile
Re: Gear selector return ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:27:23 AM »
You'll have to pull the clutch cover to see what's going on with the kick start return and gear selection control  - look's a bit messy with the various levers and cams. but it's relatively simple and just take note of where each of the bolts come from and where the various springs locate.  You;ll have to do that anyway if you're going to split the crank cases to fix the cam chain tensioner problem that you have !

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »

Thanks Andut.. the Cam chain is ok.. we replaced the chain as the old one was really stretched and all seems good runs silky smooth.

Does the entire gear selector remove from the clutch side, I assume this is the case. I'll pop the cover off over the weekend and take a look, its odd considering it all worked fine previously.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
Yes, all of the operating mech is fitted inside the right hand cover, even the long shaft that the gear lever remote attaches to comes out that way.  There a some quite strong springs which hook around various levers and solid abutments inside the case plus a fairly light hairpin spring.  I don’t think you can rearrange everything if somethings wrong without removing the clutch assembly though as it’s all behind it.

It looks complicated but breaks down into logical units if you study it.

Ian

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »
It may be worth you going through the photos on Julie's 400 rebuild thread to see if you can recognise any parts or assembly routine that differ to your own buildup.

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »

Thanks guys much appreciated.

Well this is the odd thing the engine hasn't been apart, she is a low mileage bike and ran well prior to what was supposed to be a gentle restoration, the gears changed lovely and the kickstart was very operational. Now the engine has been out and sat in various positions.. the clutch was new before and all worked but only the clutch cover has been off in this time. So it was all working.. nothing has been dismantled hence its strange that in that time something has happened.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 04:59:34 PM »
Are you trying the gears with the engine running......I expect not as you say it has no oil in it. You may find the gear selection would be ok if you spin the wheel and try and select the gears.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:03:32 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:44:34 PM »

Thanks Julie I'm hoping this is the case as mechanically I cannot see whats changed...  frustrating as starting to look quite good! I plan to run her up tomorrow and will pop in gear and get everything moving.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 12:57:28 AM »
I reckon Julie may be right. I had my 400 engine professionally rebuilt... and finally had it all bolted into the frame, ready to go. At this point I noted similar probs to what you describe, frozen gear selection etc. Called the engine builder in vague anger as I was in no mood to take it all out again. Anyways... oil in, wheel worked back & forth ...and bingo. Good luck.

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »

Thanks.. I do hope this is the case . mechanically she shifted perfectly before the engine was out which has been subjected to lots of work and being painted so fully drained of oil and so she hasnt turned a gear yet. I just need to secure the chain and then I can run up on a stand and get some oil moving!

Offline Integra99

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 09:19:43 AM »

Solved the problem, phew!

Strangely my kickstart wasn't returning properly as well so took the clutch cover off and spring.. !!! something clicked back into place and i have a working gear selector and kickstart. The new seal I put in was too tight and the kick start spline and caused the gear selector to stick.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »
Well done, we love a happy ending.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Fogdevil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »
Just a follow on question from this thread.
Having just bolted the two crankcase covers together and re-attached all the gear selector gubbins I thought I would go through all the gears to make sure they work.
When the engine is upright,I can get 1st.
When engine turned upside down I can get 1st,N,2nd and 3rd.
Question(s):
Do I need to worry about not getting 4th,5th & 6th in a 'dry run' with the engine on the bench? Is lack of sufficient lubrication the issue as previously suggested.
Will the gears work correctly once under load?
Will I need to undo what I have done so far and get them working before proceeding any further?
This is my first engine strip and rebuild so I don't know if I am worrying too much or not.
Thanks
PS Big thanks to Julie for her posts.Massive help
PPS What is the easiest way to put photos on? I tried once but didn't manage it

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 07:38:17 PM »
Do they engage if you rotate the output shaft (where the sprocket goes) they won't normally engage unless you rotate that shaft, or the crank if you haven't fitted the clutch yet.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 07:40:38 PM »
Was just going to say that myself Hairy. ALL gears should be selectable with the engine in the upright position, as Hairy says by rotating the output shaft and selecting the gears up and down. OOps, just notices posted on Trigs board !!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal