Author Topic: Heated Garage  (Read 566 times)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Heated Garage
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:55:57 PM »
For a long while I have been looking for some method of heating the garage. Today I have installed one of these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000W-Air-diesel-Heater-PLANAR-5-kW-12V-for-trucks-motor-homes-boats-bus/302498235253?hash=item466e4cc375:g:y2cAAOSwHNxaSzXc

Quite easy to fit, it works a treat and I would say big enough for a single uninsulated garage. I might get back out in the garage now.
The exhaust still needs to go out through the wall.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Heated Garage
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
Now that looks interesting, how does it work and is it noisy?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
I have a pre-cast concrete garage with a non asbestos corrugated roof. It suffered with terrible condensation and was always freezing cold in winter or boiling hot it summer.  After 10 years the roof started to split. I drilled small holes at the end of the splits to stop them spreading. Doing that made the split turn 90degree! Eventually a roof panel came down and landed on the tank on the Jota and dented it  >:(.
I stripped the whole lot off and installed a metal profiled and insulated roof on the original trusses. I raised the floor with 2 x 2 inch battens and cut celotex insulation to suit. I did the same with the walls. I covered all this with 18mm marine ply and painted it white. I laid interlocking 7mm heavy duty tiles on the floor over the ply. For the metal doors I used a multi layer metallic blanket from Wicks and tapped this to the doors.
The problem with using a heater is the condensation it produces especially in a cold garage when by nature the bikes and tools are cold, condensation forms on the surfaces and causes corrosion. I use a dehumidifier, it's brilliant, the garage is only a couple of degrees warmer than outside but the air is dry, no condensation at all and dry air is warmer and easier to work in. The dehumidifier I use is a RubyDry, it uses 280w/hour on its lowest setting, this is the setting I use 24/7. Obviously it's not cheap to run it but it's only during the winter and to be honest it will cost more to clean and fix the corrosion off the bikes if I didn't use it.
I empty the catch tank every two days and pour away 5 litres of water every time. That's a lot of moisture attacking your pride and joy!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 11:55:15 AM »
Nice job. I too keep a dehumidifier running 24/7. Before I used it there was a damp sheen on the bikes tanks that when wiped turned to moisture droplets, that's completely gone now. Well worth the cost.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 12:46:53 PM »
To be honest Roy when the roof caved in I wanted to take the pre-cast garage down a build a brick garage the same size but with an apex roof. When I applied to the council they told me being 20 x 20ft garage planning permission would be refused as it's size would make 'habitable accommodation'! In other words people could live in it. 'Converting' (the word is used in its loosest sense) garages in London is rife, most of them are converted illegally and the councils turn a blind eye as they will be liable to house the tenants of these ramshackle 'homes'. It's now so bad the more greedy owners are converting double garages into two flats! Hence why I had to do the best I could with what I had.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 02:51:33 PM »
It produces up to 5Kw  fuel consumption is rated  at  to 0.2 to 0,5 lph but can be run on red diesel reducing the cost. A little noisy at the moment but will be substantially quieter when I get the exhaust through the wall  next week.
A lot of condensation is caused when people use some sort of direct open flame for heating like space heaters. These are indirect blown hot air so condensation should be much reduced as you have no moisture from the combustion side.

For those running dehumidifiers how much water are you pulling a day, and is that down to the air been dry or the limits of your dehumidifiers.
I have a 18ltr Ebac dehumidifier that figure is for perfect conditions. But is rated at 350w which roughly works out at £1.50 per day or £10 pw. It soon adds up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal