Author Topic: External Torx bolts  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
External Torx bolts
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:38:03 AM »
Hi folks,
Not bike related but I’m restoring a 1993 MGR V8 and need some (120 Off) external Torx bolts (M6 x 25 long) in Stainless.  Hours of web trawling has not produced anything.  Do any of the members know of a supplier?  There is a site called Fastener Data, which has a supposed list of suppliers but I’ve contacted all of them without success.
This is what they look like:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Ian

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: External Torx bolts
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »
These are used on BMW cam blades at that size but, I have never seen them in stainless only in 10.9 grade  ;)
Found a company that has listings for DIN 34801 Jiaxing Zhapu Mingsheng Fasteners, maybe worth a email but, I found that a lot of fastener companys  have a minimum order of $500  :o
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:16:46 AM by Trigger »

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:14:20 AM »
Same as Trigger and yourself,  not been aware of them in stainless. Are those the one's that are on the oil pump cover plate?

I've used for years AHC of Camberley,  they've got a Web site posted but seems a prototype so you'd have to ring them to ask anything like that.

If suitable,  you may have more choice in titanium as a lot of motorsports fitment may be closer to that field.

https://www.haguefasteners.co.uk/

Was looking on here as they seem to offer in that range.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »
Many thanks for the replies folks,
I’ll see what they can come up with.  The application is for dummy bolts on the wheels (30 on each) and they were originally aluminium alloy and a press fit into the wheel.  They were only present on one wheel when we got the car and according to all owners are a PITA to clean around.  Some have changed them for button head Allen bolts but after finding that pic of stainless Torx, I started trying to source some.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I intended to put them in with Duralac barrier Paste and just remove occasionally for easy clean.
I could always bzp the BMW ones - are they from a particular model of BMW Trig?

Ian

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 02:44:24 PM »
Part number Genuine BMW Torx Bolt M6X25 - 11311731952 - E34,E38,E39,E53,E39 M5  ;) Can be found in the bucket load in BMW breakers  :)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 05:39:21 PM »
Thanks very much Trig for the precise Info.
I’ll contact a few of the dealers and breakers to see wat they’ve got.  Plated and polished, I’m sure they will look the part.

Ian

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »
Thanks very much Trig for the precise Info.
I’ll contact a few of the dealers and breakers to see wat they’ve got.  Plated and polished, I’m sure they will look the part.

Ian

The wheels look alloy and painted. What were the original bolts, plated, painted or chrome ?

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/50683/Auto-Trans-Oil-Pan-Torx-Bolt-M6x40-0049903512/

May give something of a lead also,  can't see if they're stainless but looks like they may be.

Did you get that original bolt picture from "fastener data" site? As I found that one also but if you've already got the link then ok.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 06:55:58 PM »

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 07:43:49 PM »
Many thanks folks,

k2-k6,
I’m sure that one of those links will produce a result - AHC don’t stock them but can make them for £4 each plus post and vat - but I need 120 of them!

Trig,
Yes, the wheels are cast alloy Rover with painted spokey bits. and diamond cut on the face and rim.  The original bolts (I have 30 of those) were aluminium alloy and pressed in - no threads.  They were bare alloy but then the whole wheel was clear coated with some shite they probably got from Honda engine cases - yes, the inevitable happened.  There is room behind to nut them without fouling the caliper.  The originals have ‘zender’ imprinted, that German company still exists but no longer make them.

Many owners fit button head stainless bolts - perhaps my anorak is too tight?

Ian

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »
Yep, very tight  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal