Author Topic: Fork wear- advice needed  (Read 688 times)

Offline Luke87

• View Profile
Fork wear- advice needed
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:42:45 PM »
Was hoping to get a bit of advice regarding the condition of my forks. I’ve stripped them down ready to send the stanchions off for rechroming
Having disassembled the forks and inspecting the lowers there are some obvious signs of wear and some scoring detectable with a fingernail.
I’m a bit worried as I don’t want to spend the money getting the stanchions rechromed and then rebuilding them with new springs etc if the lowers are no good.
I was surprised to see the fork lowers didn't have replaceable  bushes, then again I've never stripped forks this old before.
They're off of a CB550k2 and they are stamped 341

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Fork wear- advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »
Marks like that usually come from bent stanchions. Would like to see the rest of the parts as 341 relates to CB750 late K2 to K6, not really up on CB550K2 parts. 
Ok, just looked the bike up, 374 stanchions and 341 lowers  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:31:54 PM by Trigger »

Offline Luke87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:59:52 PM »
I've only got as far as stripping them so far. I'll take the stanchions to work tomorrow and check them for straightness.
From what I've read if I send them to Philpotts they'll straighten them before chroming them if required.
In my opinion the lowers are scrap. I'm guessing I could dress out the damage and they might be ok, but I'd be gutted if I had the uppers rechromed and they wore out prematurely due to the wear on the lowers.
I've had a look about for some replacements. there's a few sets on ebay from the likes of DK but looking at the condition of them there's no guarantee that they be in any better condition than what i've got already.
Being 341 lowers I could look for CB750 K2-K6 forks also? Am I right? I know the uppers would be no good as they'd be too long.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:43:20 PM »
They may be disc braked 450 forks as they had 341 lowers with shorter tubes, and if its a US one they will fit anything they can lay thee hands on that shoehorns in!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
Philpotts will straighten them as part of the job, make sure you send them the caps, as they will rechrome these in with the price. There is some kind of movement but, not sure from were, as I do not have them in front of me. I would put them back together and see if there is any movement from the spring or the bushes.
The stanchions should never touch the lowers on the sides so, something is wrong somewhere.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 11:01:55 PM »
They may be disc braked 450 forks as they had 341 lowers with shorter tubes, and if its a US one they will fit anything they can lay thee hands on that shoehorns in!

And I always thought that the yanks were the best engineers in the world  ;D ;D ;D I was on SOHC.net a couple of months ago, educating them on rear drum repairs  :o

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 07:25:52 PM »
Does anyone else periodically spin the tubes a little in the yolks to keep wear even or is it just me.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »
Its just you mate  ;D ;D ;D They are to go up and down, not round and round  ;)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 08:29:21 PM »
I like to be individual.  :) Watch a Harley on tickover, they go backwards and forwards as well.  ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal