Author Topic: CB twin disc front end  (Read 1983 times)

Offline BenLangton

• View Profile
CB twin disc front end
« on: January 26, 2018, 07:44:42 PM »
Have been told this is an unusual front end for the 78 cb550 its off.
I've searched the web trying to find what the front end is worth, wheels got a bit of surface rust to chrome but calipers, discs front legs, yokes, lever are all good.
All I found was conversion threads.

What's it worth going to sell it.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: CB twin disc front end
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
I've searched the web trying to find what the front end is worth, wheels got a bit of surface rust to chrome but calipers, discs front legs, yokes, lever are all good.

(Attachment Link)

I will splash out 99P for it. And I don't want any comments from Paul Gledhill :D

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »
Wlcome to the forum Ben.

Offline BenLangton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:35:23 PM »
Thanks,

I was thinking of using it on my project but wanted it to look older with a tls drum. I tried finding out about it but little info found.

A couple of mates said keep it, if I found out it is cool I may keep it but depends on what it is and worth. The project is costing a bit, you know how it goes.ha

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »
It looks like someone has just fitted the second disc and caliper to a standard front end (the brackets were already fitted as stock by Honda) so it's not particularly valuable, except when some idiot pulls out in front of you and you have a decent chance of stopping. DON'T even think about TLS front end, why take a massive backward step with something as important as brakes? Insurance companies really wouldn't like it either! If you like TLS front ends, then buy a bike that was built with one. The original single disc was good in it's day, but the roads today are much busier, with far more numpties in cars to pull out on you/cut you up etc, be safe and stick with the twin discs, your life could depend on them! Welcome from Devon by the way!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline BenLangton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 10:02:02 PM »
So the 550 or any of the late 70's bikes never came with a double disc as standard heard that they did for one year, stainless discs????

Thanks for the tips.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:22:32 PM »
As far as i am aware none of them came with a double disc as standard, they are out there though, my old 500K3 has one which i done myself, you just have to machine down part of the speedo drive to make it fit without binding on the disc, it's an easy job to do.

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 11:50:01 PM »

(Attachment Link)
Il offer £1.99

I will splash out 99P for it. And I don't want any comments from Paul Gledhill :D
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 01:13:53 AM »
First twin disc was 750F2 all 500/550 were single disc but 550 had mirror image brackets to allow twin discs and all the Honda discs were stainless. All in its probably worth about £50 as you could probably assemble the parts to do it for that and as already said a TLS is a vERY backward step--Even a racing 4LS would be considered as a bad move by insurance companies and they were fitted to the first Suzuki 750 tripple

Offline BenLangton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
Thanks all.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 05:22:48 PM »
The twin disc arrangement you have will work well, probably about 75% as good as a modern front disc, 2LS probably 40 to 50% as good as a modern brake, I spent ages setting up the 2LS on my Hustler, it was crap, took it for an MOT and he said, “wow you’re front brake is great”, I said no it’s crap, he said “It’s the best 2LS I’ve tested but yes they are crap in comparison to modern discs” :)

I did a twin disc conversion on my CB750, it works well enough to chirp the front tyre at 30mph, but it’s still nowhere near as good as the brakes on my modern Ducati.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 07:10:10 PM »
I've been commuting on the 750 today it was a bit of a shock as its not been used it for a while.
I had almost forgotten how loud the brakes squeals.  :o
I can also confirm the old girl still has enough poke to stand its ground on the M11 and keep the Germen shitboxes at bay.  :)
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal