Author Topic: phil read rep/honda britain restoration  (Read 8654 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: phil read rep/honda britain restoration
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 06:43:31 PM »
More recently I've been using an impact driver bit that on its own I tap with a hammer into the screw head to make sure it's fully fitted ( if the screw's head has been butchered a little,  I peen the damage back in gently with a ball peen hammer).

Then use a screwdriver / drill with the torque clutch set low and just buzz it to get the screw to release. Don't use one of the impact screwdrivers,  you just need the clutching to give a rotary impact if that makes sense. It seems to get most things undone without putting much stress into the assembly.

You have to be able to lean on the drill to make sure the bit doesn't back out of the screw cross.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »
I have a 80 per cent rate of getting these buggers out, heat up the machine screw, take a PH3 and tap it home to break the seal and turn it out on a wrench. It doesn't always work so as said before, drill it out with a left hand drill bit.

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 05:22:18 PM »
thank you all. i combined the last two posts to come up with my own solution which removed three of the screws but i mashed up the fourth (my own fault). i did a quick search before posting this and came up with nothing, so i posted my solution on the 'tricks and tips' page for others to see.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 05:41:27 PM »
3 out of 4 is not bad  ;). Some of these little buggers will fall out and the rest of the little buggers just don't want to move. This is what makes my job interesting, every engine is different even if it is the same model  ;D

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »
the rest of it came apart reasonably quickly and i'm now at this stage.

it looks very good internally so i think it's just a case of making sure all the bearings are good and renew all the seals etc.  it all has to come out over the next few days so that will keep me busy for a while. i'm on a diet but i think i deserve a nice coffee and some dark chocolate after all the dismantling work!
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 08:11:08 PM »
Great progress and no nasty surprises like I had stripping my engine  :'( :'(
Mm mm, Coffee and dark chocolate, the perfect recipe for a sleepless night  ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 08:14:37 PM »
So its not just me than can take a blurry photo  ;D Looks nice and clean, check the primary chain tensioner, if it is hard and brittle then replace. Once these have gone hard, they tend to bounce and then chip away if reused  ;)

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 08:25:08 PM »
i will do, thanks.   and it's not blurry, it's warm and fuzzy!
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 10:19:41 PM »
I thought that may be a fuzzy instagram filter app you've been using all this time Trigger to give that artistic impression  :) :)

Haynes66,  good you've got them out and the main bearings all look pretty good too.

I didn't say back there, but I don't usually turn the drill torque up much but just keep going at it with what I perceive to be micro pulses of torque and they normally start moving as unable to resist the vibration.

Also if as you found,  if you can't quite see the alignment clearly you can use a drill chuck to 1/4inch drive adapter,   then put a socket set extension bar onto it to eventually drive the screwdriver bit. You get a much clearer view of the drill being kept straight on to the screw head then.

This also works on those little exhaust flange nuts that can get corroded and difficult to undo without shearing the stud on F2 motors.

As spoken on that motoring show "you're in over plum depth now" so you've got to keep going,  doesn't feel too bad once you get stuck in.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 07:12:00 AM »
I wish I could see the pictures bit they are not coming up on my phone
So i am imagining it all by the description , I remember with my f2 numerous seized bolts and lots of stripped threads in cases and especially cylinder head
Which needed thread repairs, trigger mentioned once the name of the decent thread repair kits

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
i've been really fortunate so far as its low mileage. engine no 2 shouldnt be too bad either as its only done around 24000 miles. my 500-4 engine will be more of a challenge as it is seriously rusty. it may end up as scrap but it's a long way off yet.  these two will take me probably well into next year, i should imagine.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »
everything is pretty much stripped engine wise, other than the kickstart quadrant. i've tried everything to try and remove the roll pin but it wont budge. i'm going to leave it there as it wont really be a problem.  another issue is the two rusty cylinder studs. i've given them a soak in plusgas and leaving them for a while but it could be a little difficult to get them out.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 06:57:11 PM »
Them roll pins come out easy, I use a small pair of vice grips to squeeze it and pull it out. How bad are the head studs ?

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 09:27:24 PM »
most of the studs are fine apart from the two rusty ones.  if i heaved on them, they would definitely snap, so perseverance will be necessary, along with heat, wax, praying, anything but brute force.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 09:31:35 PM »
You could always try what Ian (Orcadian) suggested with my seized stud. Plenty of diffused heat, WD40 or similar, clamp stud in vice, still attached to casing, and turn the whole casing. More heat if needed and same with WD. Worked a treat with my corroded in head stud.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal