Author Topic: Another restoration ready for the road  (Read 2142 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Another restoration ready for the road
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 07:11:54 PM »
No good on motorcycle spark plugs, but Landrover restorers/repairers put lumps of old rubber conveyer belt between the chassis and body, and use rubber or fibre washers on the body nuts and bolts to help prevent it happening. One thing nobody seems to be able to work out, the Earlier positive earth Landrovers seem less prone to it than the post 1965 negative earth vehicles. :o 
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Arfa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 07:14:49 PM »
Looks lovely.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 07:31:01 PM »
Apologies Eric, it was my that set off that side track about plugs.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 07:38:19 PM »
Now that's a nice looking bike, glad it's not mine as i would be scared to use it and get it dirty and it does not come cheap to get them looking that good, side note, mine passed it's mot today.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »
Beautiful work well done. Lovely looking example...you should be very proud of that...

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 08:59:05 PM »
Spot on Eric you must be a proud man ! Mr. Honda's  favourite model too I believe.
Where did you get pipes?  .. I know RoyH  had problems obtaining decent quality ones.
These Yamiya one look the business double skinned headers too. It puzzles me that they can't do 400/4 ones double skinned though.

http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=146&products_id=3715

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
Lovely restoration.... well done!

Offline H2Eric

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 10:43:23 AM »
Spot on Eric you must be a proud man ! Mr. Honda's  favourite model too I believe.
Where did you get pipes?  .. I know RoyH  had problems obtaining decent quality ones.
These Yamiya one look the business double skinned headers too. It puzzles me that they can't do 400/4 ones double skinned though.

http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=146&products_id=3715

Hi Ash
The pipes I got came from CMSL, which probably originated from the same source in Japan as the Yamiya ones although I can't confirm that. I suspect those currently on offer from DS are also from the same source.

Cheers
Eric

Offline H2Eric

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 10:55:21 AM »
Apologies Eric, it was my that set off that side track about plugs.

No apologies necessary, I'm sure we've all learned something and here is another pic.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, they make the restoration so much more worth while.

Eric

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 11:02:51 AM »
Very nice. That should put a smile on your face every time you look at it or ride it.

Offline SamCR750

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 10:41:15 PM »
Looks awesome Eric, have you any pics pre restoration, this looks like a picture of a new bike, hahaha.

Sam. ;)

Offline H2Eric

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
Glad to oblige Sam. Here is what I started with.
Paint somewhat faded, usual Jardine 4 into 2 pipes, but overall a fairly solid bike and I was well please with what I got. There was some rust, which is to be expected, but nothing too bad at all.  The initial plan was to get it registered and ride it while there was still a bit of summer left, but it didn't run too well, so I decided to crack on with the restoration and dismantle it. Just as well really given the missing oil pipes in the cylinder head!

Eric

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
That's looking really nice Eric. Must say though, you started with a way better example than mine was. Don't think I would want to do one as rough again.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Did you get the exhausts from Silvers or are they the originals? When I did mine a couple of years ago I had real trouble getting an exhaust set where the welded seams were acceptable. Just wondering what they are like now as they had loads returned.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:13:53 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline H2Eric

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »
That's looking really nice Eric. Must say though, you started with a way better example than mine was. Don't think I would want to do one as rough again.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Did you get the exhausts from Silvers or are they the originals? When I did mine a couple of years ago I had real trouble getting an exhaust set where the welded seams were acceptable. Just wondering what they are like now as they had loads returned.

Hello Roy
The exhausts came from CMSL, see post above. Since buying them I've heard a few stories about the earlier ones not being up to the mark with poor welded seams, but the ones I've got from the latest batch that have become available are perfect.

Cheers
Eric

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 01:41:30 PM »
Thanks Eric I shall get some ordered. The silvers ones are the same as the Dutch ones. I had sets of the original ones from everywhere and they all had to go back. Cheers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal