Author Topic: Frame Blasting Media  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Frame Blasting Media
« on: February 03, 2018, 09:13:06 AM »
Have done a search on the site and couldn't find anything on the best blasting media for frame, swing-arm, etc. Can anyone recommend a blasting media?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Frame Blasting Media
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:00:49 AM »
It depends on the state of the frame, what finish you are looking for and what sort of paint you are going to use. Most power coaters use grit to blast because it is quick and leaves a rough finish for the paint to stick to. Grit is very aggressive and if the frame is old and rusty, it can end up looking like a tea bag  ;)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 10:05:20 AM »
It depends on the state of the frame, what finish you are looking for and what sort of paint you are going to use. Most power coaters use grit to blast because it is quick and leaves a rough finish for the paint to stick to. Grit is very aggressive and if the frame is old and rusty, it can end up looking like a tea bag  ;)
But at least it's nice and clean, and easier to get welded repairs done, better to find out any weak spots at that stage than after painting/coating it!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »
Thanks Trigger. The frame is in good condition, bit of light rust here and there, scratches and flakes. I am going to paint not powder coat. Haven't decided on the paint yet, recommendations welcome.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 10:10:26 AM »
Thanks Trigger. The frame is in good condition, bit of light rust here and there, scratches and flakes. I am going to paint not powder coat. Haven't decided on the paint yet, recommendations welcome.
If doing it yourself, black Smoothrite was always a good choice, BUT the EU decided we couldn't be trusted to use it safely, so the formulation has been changed substantially, and I can't vouch for the modern version.

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »
Thanks hairygit I'll give it a try, maybe just the swing arm to start with and see how it works.

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 11:13:24 AM »
i painted my panther frame with smoothrite. it looked really nice but it would chip easily.  i got a better result with finnegans no 1 (i think) as a primer, then smoothrite.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »
If doing it yourself, black Smoothrite was always a good choice, BUT the EU decided we couldn't be trusted to use it safely, so the formulation has been changed substantially, and I can't vouch for the modern version.

Modern version is sh*te I am told not very black unless a mega thick coat which Honda's never had
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 12:57:22 PM »
You need a good paint that is fuel and chemical resistant. I get my metal parts powdered but, you must be aware of powder coaters.
 I had a couple of frames done by a company in Castleford and asked for them to be done in satin black and showed them a sample of powder from my old painter (who is the other side of the country to me now). When I went to pick them up, they were more matt than satin  >:(.There argument was that it said satin on the box of paint  ???.
 I have now found a very good painter in my area that matched the original finish.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 06:43:46 PM »
Would that be LSN or Midas Touch trigger?  LSN have a great reputation and have done a few parts for me which i have been very happy with...... although they once powder coated a crank case for me (rd250) and managed to stick tons of blast media to the inside of the case.. i had to dremel it off..... I always find powder coaters let themselves down when it comes to masking surfaces or avoiding blasting certain areas...... they often get it wrong
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:54:32 PM by Rob62 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 08:17:20 PM »
LSN are OK but the only job they did for me, they masked everything pretty good but  that was in gloss and then I saw a sample of their 'satin' black at Rufforth Autojumble and I agree with Graham it's more like matt finish than satin. I think John Wyatt uses them.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 08:24:02 PM »
Hi Deano, why do you want to paint instead of powder coat?, modern powder coat can give a good gloss finish if that’s what you’re looking for.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 08:28:04 PM »
I've been considering getting glass media, I think the company selling it said fine grade for the hobby use blaster I have. My last job involved shot blasting with chilled iron shot, we had issues with rough finish leaving the paint looking rough, the finer stuff gave a better finish but turned to dust far faster and took longer to do the job. I think at £750/ ton the rate it turned to dust was costly especially if it got wet - not good news with any shot blast media but I imagine the glass would at least dry out better if it does get the damp.... Hammerite just ain't as good as it was. I use industrial cellulose  plant paint on my machinery, looks after a year of carting muck like it's more durable, far cheaper than hammerite and ditto for the thinners, found a 20l drum for £20 delivered. Gets a decent finish 50% thinned down with a cheap spay gun. I tend to use red oxide primers, not as effective as the old paints but does seem to be rather tough stuff. Last bike frame I did I brush painted with Blackfriar brand red oxide and satin black. Still looking reasonable after 7 years and 4 winters commuting.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
I strip  the old with proper old fashioned methylene chloride stripper then glass bead blast but that's for an import type frame that has minimal rust. This frame was done that way and is away at the moment with Andrew Parnaby for painting candy red. For a rusty UK frame then glass would be hard work to get to a rust free state I imagine. Glass does flow a lot better though,particularly in cold damp weather like this.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
Many moons ago I used to use a guy for painting frames at J13 M1 and the paint always lifted on the joints after six months. It took me a while to work out that he took the frames to Bedford to be blasted and then would sit the frame in his workshop until he had time to paint it. I visited him to once to chase up and saw the frame sitting in a corner going rusty again  >:(.
If you use a painter, it is always better that he does the blasting in house and it is painted the same day.
I would never recommend the guy I use now, as everyone would take frames to him and that would slow up any work that I need doing  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal