Author Topic: Frame Blasting Media  (Read 2025 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Frame Blasting Media
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 10:53:58 AM »
Many moons ago I used to use a guy for painting frames at J13 M1 and the paint always lifted on the joints after six months. It took me a while to work out that he took the frames to Bedford to be blasted and then would sit the frame in his workshop until he had time to paint it. I visited him to once to chase up and saw the frame sitting in a corner going rusty again  >:(.
If you use a painter, it is always better that he does the blasting in house and it is painted the same day.
I would never recommend the guy I use now, as everyone would take frames to him and that would slow up any work that I need doing  ;)

If you use someone like Andrew there is no way he would paint a frame or tank etc with rust on it...and he says he loves the way I pre-prep the parts as it's minimal effort for him and there are no hidden gremlins lurking underneath the  paint and rust. Same goes for Allenchrome Graham ..they love pre-prepped parts IF it's done properly. Personally, I always share my decent places I have used, in some cases it has helped them stay in business as they are good at what they do but not good at promoting/advertising their business  ;)
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 11:10:07 AM »
I strip  the old with proper old fashioned methylene chloride stripper then glass bead blast but that's for an import type frame that has minimal rust. This frame was done that way and is away at the moment with Andrew Parnaby for painting candy red. For a rusty UK frame then glass would be hard work to get to a rust free state I imagine. Glass does flow a lot better though,particularly in cold damp weather like this.

(Attachment Link)
Looks like a giraffe... 😁

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 05:58:20 PM »
The paint rep visiting where I used to work used to get so frustrated as did I as shot blaster and the paint guy as he'd told us and we couldn't get the managers to take on board that there is what the rep called the golden 4 hours, that being the proper maximum window between blasting something and laying on the first coat of paint down, after that atmospheric corrosion sets in, I'd frequently get asked to blast stuff as a matter of urgency then it would sit unheeded in the workshop for a week before the welders set to on it, and another week whilst our manager got around to actually getting thinners in so painting could happen. Then the higher up managers gave us the flack for the quality.... whilst reminding us of the pecking order and that we must do as told. How I miss that job.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 06:12:21 PM »
The paint rep visiting where I used to work used to get so frustrated as did I as shot blaster and the paint guy as he'd told us and we couldn't get the managers to take on board that there is what the rep called the golden 4 hours, that being the proper maximum window between blasting something and laying on the first coat of paint down, after that atmospheric corrosion sets in, I'd frequently get asked to blast stuff as a matter of urgency then it would sit unheeded in the workshop for a week before the welders set to on it, and another week whilst our manager got around to actually getting thinners in so painting could happen. Then the higher up managers gave us the flack for the quality.... whilst reminding us of the pecking order and that we must do as told. How I miss that job.
Your old boss was very generous with the timing Matt. The chap that Trigger uses now insists on no longer than 1 hour between the blasters finishing and sprayers powder coating.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 06:49:43 PM »
Hi Deano, why do you want to paint instead of powder coat?, modern powder coat can give a good gloss finish if that’s what you’re looking for.
Hi Mark. I intended to use paint to keep the bike more original, not that I am aiming for concourse just the best I can afford. Also would like to do as much as I can myself.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »
Your old boss was very generous with the timing Matt. The chap that Trigger uses now insists on no longer than 1 hour between the blasters finishing and sprayers powder coating.
There were some bloody cowboys there Julie, 27 ton trailer blasted and painted with the wheels still on to avoid shot getting near the rusted brakes, so rusted an airline used to blow loose shot off blew a 2"hole in them. All this just to up the asking price before selling it to some poor sucker. Given the cost of blasting and painting something that size I thought it bloody shoddy not to just do it right rather than bodge and waste time disgusting the bodge. I made my feelings known on that, cost me the job.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »
Hi Deano, why do you want to paint instead of powder coat?, modern powder coat can give a good gloss finish if that’s what you’re looking for.
Hi Mark. I intended to use paint to keep the bike more original, not that I am aiming for concourse just the best I can afford. Also would like to do as much as I can myself.

Don't blame you .. gone right off powder coat myself. I have painted a couple of frames myself recently and they look far more like Honda original than any PC I have seen and at least you can touch them up. I only gave my CD125 frame to a pro painter as it's candy red and I don't feel confident to do that and paint is too mega expensive  to cock up and redo.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal