Author Topic: removing countershaft bearing holder on the 750  (Read 699 times)

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
removing countershaft bearing holder on the 750
« on: February 05, 2018, 05:18:06 PM »
the four screws holding the bearing holder in place are notoriously difficult to remove, mainly because of the large head area bonding itself to the alloy body.  i posted a question on my rebuild thread and got a few helpful suggestions. i combined two of them to come up with my own solution which is as follows.  you will need a cordless drill with clutch and a ph3 bit, preferably in a bit holder. the engine needs to be up against something solid as you need to press really hard against the cordless drill.  set it to reverse and the clutch setting to a low setting so it slips easily.  sit the battery end of the drill on the bench as shown in the pic and hold it dead straight against the screw.  give it a squeeze and the clutch will slip.  turn the clutch up a notch and squeeze again.  keep doing this until you feel the drill try to twist. usually at this point the screw will come undone. 
however, if you look closely at the top screw, you can see it has been drilled.  as the cordless was that little bit too high to sit on the bench and i was too lazy to pack something under it, i thought i would just try and hold it straight, despite my mechanical intuition screaming at me to do it properly.  needless to say, it rounded off very quickly.  so lesson learnt - dont cut corners!!

honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
Re: removing countershaft bearing holder on the 750
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 01:05:23 PM »
before attempting to unscrew anything that hasn't been removed recently, carefully strike the head of the screw with a punch and hammer, several times in a sideways direction to break the friction/bind between the screw head and the mating face....

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: removing countershaft bearing holder on the 750
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »
that's a good tip. i tend to do that often. usually does the trick. also surprisingly, if a nut or bolt is seized, i may give it a quick tighten then try undoing it. works mostly with tractors though...
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal