Author Topic: David Silver repalcements fork tubes  (Read 1452 times)

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
David Silver repalcements fork tubes
« on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »
Has anyone on here had any experience with the replacement fork tubes from DS?  I have longer than normal stanchions in my CB750 K1 forks, think they must be chopper parts by the length of them, and wanted to purchase a set of standard length tubes (failing getting the ones I have here machined down and rethreaded - is this an option?).  The tubes I need are the earlier types with the 4 ring grooves at the bottom

Any alternative suppliers appreciated  :D

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: David Silver repalcements fork tubes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:55:21 AM »
UK Pete got some for his K0 and found that the bottom section was chromed where it shouldn't be so he had to mod them to fit. DS would not acknowledge there was a problem when I asked him about it and wasn't forthcoming with the contact details of the manufacturer,  so I voted with my feet and got mine from Yamiya, as did kettle738 (Mick)

DS= Made in Italy
Yamiya = Made in Japan.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 12:33:02 PM »
Don't take the chance with ds, he has not acknowledge the prob so assume it's not rectified
I bought a pair off eBay a few years ago also same prob .  If I had of k ow they were also ds ones I could of saved myself a lot of bother

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
Repro ones forsale in the UK are shite, just get the original ones rechromed by Philpots

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »
The ones he's got are oversize Trig, that's his issue!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 03:53:18 PM »
Yamiya ones are OK .. there is a slight change in one of the retaining clip grooves though. Saisei can order in for you.

Agree with Trigger though Philpotts is probably the best option. Don't agree with him on rechroming the top nuts though... I saw some on their stand at Stafford and they looked horrid.... maybe a one-off but would you really display ones like that at a show?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »
The ones he's got are oversize Trig, that's his issue!

That's not a problem, as I have a pair of old ones from a early K that he can have. If he wants to go down that route  ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 05:42:21 PM »
Yamiya ones are OK .. there is a slight change in one of the retaining clip grooves though. Saisei can order in for you.

Agree with Trigger though Philpotts is probably the best option. Don't agree with him on rechroming the top nuts though... I saw some on their stand at Stafford and they looked horrid.... maybe a one-off but would you really display ones like that at a show?

Nothing wrong with my shiny nuts that Philpot did, I always throw the rear wheel spindle at them, when I have me forks and nuts done  ;)

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 10:33:20 PM »
Cheers for the replies fellas. I was originally thinking of buying new ones as opposed to rechroming as the price wouldn’t be that much different I thought. I’m actually gutted I can’t do something with the oversize stanchions I have here as the chrome is in good nick. Annoyingly my K6 forks (standard length) are the same but the fork lowers on the k1 have a slightly wider internal diameter so using them went out the window.

What sort of state are the ones you have there Trig? Would they need a lot of prep doing to them prior to getting them rechromed.

Also what’s the going rate for rechroming stanchions these days, about £140 odd?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 06:17:43 AM »
Cheers for the replies fellas. I was originally thinking of buying new ones as opposed to rechroming as the price wouldn’t be that much different I thought. I’m actually gutted I can’t do something with the oversize stanchions I have here as the chrome is in good nick. Annoyingly my K6 forks (standard length) are the same but the fork lowers on the k1 have a slightly wider internal diameter so using them went out the window.

What sort of state are the ones you have there Trig? Would they need a lot of prep doing to them prior to getting them rechromed.

Also what’s the going rate for rechroming stanchions these days, about £140 odd?
They are old stanchions but, no prep work needed. Philpots will reverse chrome them. check for trueness and they will look like a new pin by the time they have finished with them >>>>> http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8027.msg52179.html#msg52179

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 07:45:05 AM »
When Philpotts finish with them the quality of the chrome is streets ahead of stock chrome. I had a pair of stanchions rechromed by them for my 400/4 in 1992 and they still look new. Philpotts also check them for straightness prior to rechrome and correct any minor irregularities.
Its a no-brainer for me, rechrome every time.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 09:36:27 AM »
Cheers guys, looks like I'll be contacting Philpotts very soon then, you lot on retainers or something with them  ;D

How much do you want for the fork stanchions Trig?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »
Cheers guys, looks like I'll be contacting Philpotts very soon then, you lot on retainers or something with them  ;D

They are freebies , PM or Email me and we can get them picked up from me by Philpots and delivered back to you. This will save some £££ on postage  ;)

Offline burchy75

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »

They are freebies , PM or Email me and we can get them picked up from me by Philpots and delivered back to you. This will save some £££ on postage  ;)

That is very kind Trig, cheers, I'll drop you a PM.  I'll get the fuel taps and handle bar grip out to you pronto as well

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »

That is very kind Trig, cheers, I'll drop you a PM.  I'll get the fuel taps and handle bar grip out to you pronto as well

Sent you a email with my cunning plan  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal