Author Topic: David Silver repalcements fork tubes  (Read 1453 times)

Offline 71 V12

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: David Silver repalcements fork tubes
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 09:44:36 PM »
Bit worrying this. Bought DS stanchions last year and not got around to building the forks yet. What exactly is the issue with the DS stanchions?

Cheers,

Kevin

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 10:22:18 PM »
I have fitted them to my K2 - the only problem I have is they 'clunk' on bad dips/holes in the road. I posted about the problem and someone replied that its a problem with the DS fork tubes and they had to mod them in some way.
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 11:05:08 PM »
Why not pm UKPete on here ? From memory,  the problem was on K0/K1/K2 early stanchions where the bottom of the stanchion is left un-chromed but on the Italian made DS ones they were chromed too in that area. The Yamiya ones are correct, so I bought those instead.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 10:01:20 AM »
I have fitted them to my K2 - the only problem I have is they 'clunk' on bad dips/holes in the road. I posted about the problem and someone replied that its a problem with the DS fork tubes and they had to mod them in some way.

Can anybody expand on the 'clunking' that is being associated with the forks? Is there a known reason for this and a solution? 

Any reason as to why it is specifically associated with the DS replacement forks? 

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 10:40:31 AM »

Can anybody expand on the 'clunking' that is being associated with the forks? Is there a known reason for this and a solution? 

Any reason as to why it is specifically associated with the DS replacement forks?

I think the problem with DS's were that the piston wouldn't fit onto the stanchion ... so if you assembled OK then probably something else.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 05:13:06 PM »
My forks from ds are for the k0 this has lots of clips pistons and bits that attach to the bottom fork leg the problem with mine was the thickness of chrome would not allow all the pistons and bits to fit, option was remove chrome or some material from the inside of the  pistons and bits a major pain in arse
Not aware of clonking but I have not used them yet

Offline 71 V12

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 08:44:36 PM »
Thank you for the feedback, if I understand correctly I should be able to build up my forks ok with the DS stanchions on my K4 (less complex assembly than K0?) But the K2-6 type are susceptible to clonking when bottoming out.

Nothing ever straight forward in the restoration game!

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »
Maybe its a problem that doesn't relate to the DS stanchions but when I posted about the problems, someone commented that another member had had the same problem and related it to the DS stanchions. Can't find the post now.
If you don't have a problem, let me know and I'll look for another reason why my bike clonks!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal