Author Topic: CB400F Ignition Switch  (Read 1031 times)

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
CB400F Ignition Switch
« on: February 09, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »
One of the issues I had when recommissioning the bike,  was the ignition cut out a couple of times on the initial test rides. I have dismantled the ignition switch, and noticed that the white plastic part with the electrical contacts bit at the bottom of the barrel part, has been subject to heat, presumably from internal corrosion.  The result is the plastic part is melted!

Does anyone know if it's possible to just get the plastic part, or do I need a whole ignition switch, also is the DSS part interchangeable, in as much as I was thinking of buying one just to get the white part, thereby allowing me to keep the original barrel part and keys.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks Dave

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: CB400F Ignition Switch
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:24:14 PM »
I don't think they are available as a separate item.I will look in my bits & see if I have anything.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »
To give you more options, the 550F1 &550F2, 550K3, 750F1, and 750F2 all use the same ignition switch as the 400 Fours.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »
Thanks Ash

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 08:14:16 PM »
Looked and the only bits I have are from a 750K7 switch ..Genuine part though

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »
Thanks Peter

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 08:38:53 PM »
Thanks all  will probs go for the repair part.

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 04:47:04 PM »
Finally got around to ordering the repair part for my original lock barrel  and it's the wrong part doh! I am currently using the D'S part, but would prefer to go back to the original key.

The plastic part that arrived is the correct 5 pin connector, but has three tangs to locate it in the ignition barrel, regrettably my barrel only has two. Also the plastic part is a mm or so to big

I will take some photo's tomorrow, but in the interim, can anyone steer me in the right direction ir shed some light on the matter?

Thanks

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 08:07:52 PM »
Photo attached

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 10:09:30 PM »
There are two types of these, the one you have in the picture is a early one.

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 10:50:25 PM »
Thanks, do you mean the barrel or the plastic part.?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 11:06:10 PM »
Thanks, do you mean the barrel or the plastic part.?

Two types of barrels and in the back of my brain, I am sure I tried to fit a later plastic part to a earlier barrel and it never fitted. There are so many different repro ones of these about, that it is hard to match the parts.
Is your original key, with or without a plastic cover ?

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 11:16:33 PM »
No original keys were with bike, so I ordered one off the barrel number.

Ever since recommissioning the bike  the switch was intermittent, on inspection the innards had sort of melted,  so I went for the DS unit.

I then I ordered the repair kit. It wasn't a great deal of money,  however I would like to go back to the original item, as genuine Honda keys are still available, as well as the convenience of having just one key for all locks.

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 12:01:13 PM »
I have managed to score a couple of the older type ignition switches from Fleabay.

I have separated the lock bodies from the plastic parts, cleaned up the better looking of the two plastic parts using a soft brush and WD40 on the the exposed conductors and plastic outer body. I have not dismantled the internals for fear of flying springs, ball bearings etc.

Following this I then attached the cleaned up plastic part to my original lock barrel, all seems to work fine with positive key switch type clicks.

I have then tried to ascertain what circuits are working using the shop manual and my multi meter. Please could someone advise me if the following is correct, with the switch off the bike.

Switch Off no continuity on any combination of pins.
Switch on  pins 5 & 6 (Red  and Black) about 2 ohms. No continuity on any other combination.
Switch on park  pins 5 & 4 (Red and Brown) about 2 ohms. No continuity on any other combination.
What should I be getting for the other brown wire combinations? Or does the switch have to be connected up to read those? The spare plastic part gives the same readings. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Also is there a knack to accessing the two lock securing bolts, perhaps by taking of the headlight?

Many Thanks
Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal