Author Topic: Dyno testing  (Read 774 times)

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Dyno testing
« on: February 15, 2018, 08:31:07 AM »
Hi

Nearing the end of my build and one of the last tasks is to sort the jetting out Anyone recommend a dyno tester who could sort the jetting out on my bike...  usual mods which I inherited - pod filters and 4 into 1 exhaust.  I'm in the Saddleworth / East Manchester

Done the research and seems like a mare to get spot on...

The bike is a CB750F Supersport and I'm in the Saddleworth / East Manchester

Cheers

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dyno testing
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] Hi Liam, I’m not local to you so I don’t know of any dynoes in your area, I have a K6 engine in mine with PD41a carbs/pod filters  and a 4 into 1, so it’s similar, I guessed my main jet sizes, went with 135 mains much bigger than the standard jet size, standard primary jets, needles on the middle notch, cheap Chinese pod filters , took it to Sam ermelenko’s dyno in Tutbury, fuelling was spot on, it ran great apart from it “surged” a bit when trying to cruise at a steady 70mph, I suspected it was the airflow into the carbs, if you look at the rubber bungs that hold the pods to the carb they have a square edge, the standard air box has 4 rubber velocity stacks, so I took the rubber velocity stacks off the original air box , removed the rubbers from the pods and grafted the rubber stacks in their place, problem solved, runs great through the range now and holds steady at any cruising speed, Honda didn’t go to the trouble of fitting the rubber stacks for no reason so my guess is they smooth the flow into the carbs and this aids carburation, I can’t find a photo of the mod I did but if you search on the forum there will be one in one of my threads. EDIT, you can see them on this photo .
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:58:27 PM by MarkCR750 »
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:32:18 AM »
Just wondering Mark, how brutal were they at the dyno...... I went to look at a dyno test a couple of years ago (not my bike thankfully) and they revved the bike hard through all the gears...... The engineer said afterwards that you have to sign a disclaimer and they blow-up engines on a regular basis....... There was a large air fan in front of the dyno, but as they revved it out in top gear it should have been doing 120mph and the gentle breeze from the fan just did not feel enough to cool the engine. I don't know enough about dyno testing to say that it was a daft thing to do on an old road bike, but their not doing any of mine. I know you need to give it the beans to test it properly, but is this the normal thing or was it just this guy that was hard on the machinery.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 09:15:21 AM »
I have been with Ralph Holland at MK Dyno a few times when he has blown up the customers engine in front of them. The customers face, when Ralf says, " well, that's what you just paid me to do"  ;D ;D ;D To dyno any engine it must be at its best in the first place ;)

Offline Liam

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
Thanks gents,

Roy, Trigger - very good point regarding full throttle through the range.  Unlikely I'll go through with it.

In the meantime Mark - I think I'll fettle the the main jet size and see how it runs / how the plug look.  Needle is on the middle setting, seems to tick over okay, no popping etc. but still have to balance the carbs.  You're right about the velocity stack in the stock air box...  Good ol' "Hondaman" gives an insight into the flow of air being patterned to prevent flat spots between the low, mid range and full throttle.  Unfortunately the bike came with Chinese pods which were split etc.  I swapped for "ramair" filters so no doubt will be dealing with at least one flat spot.

Cheers Gents

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »
Just wondering Mark, how brutal were they at the dyno...... I went to look at a dyno test a couple of years ago (not my bike thankfully) and they revved the bike hard through all the gears...... The engineer said afterwards that you have to sign a disclaimer and they blow-up engines on a regular basis....... There was a large air fan in front of the dyno, but as they revved it out in top gear it should have been doing 120mph and the gentle breeze from the fan just did not feel enough to cool the engine. I don't know enough about dyno testing to say that it was a daft thing to do on an old road bike, but their not doing any of mine. I know you need to give it the beans to test it properly, but is this the normal thing or was it just this guy that was hard on the machinery.
Hi Roy, I was in the dyno room with the tester, I had already said be careful it’s an old engine, he said don’t worry I’m not going to thrash it, we agreed not to go beyond 8.5k revs, it was really no different to briefly gunning it on the road, just make sure that they know what you expect, and be with the bike if they’ll let you, cheers Mark
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
There's an obvious concern with the heat accumulated during these runs but as pointed out,  you should have it in good enough mechanical condition to complete it without bringing up significant problems.

Getting a general check of jetting through the whole range should be the first objective to make sure it's running within range to reduce risk,  any significant errors you'd have to correct, or suspend running.

One thing that's normally not considered is plugs. You need to be using the hottest that you can get really to guard against overheating them,  leading to pre-ignition. That'll blow it up faster than you can close the throttle in extreme cases. Starting with at least an NGK 9 heat range,  or even a 10.

Purely mechanically,  the rotating bits should cope with the revs (if not it'll probably go on the road anyway) that's if it's put together properly. Also,  synthetic oils will cope with this heat range better than non.

Greebo

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »
Hi

Nearing the end of my build and one of the last tasks is to sort the jetting out Anyone recommend a dyno tester who could sort the jetting out on my bike...  usual mods which I inherited - pod filters and 4 into 1 exhaust.  I'm in the Saddleworth / East Manchester

Done the research and seems like a mare to get spot on...

The bike is a CB750F Supersport and I'm in the Saddleworth / East Manchester

Cheers

Hi Liam,

I have just replied to private message, sorry for the delay I have not been on this Forum for several weeks

I hope you find the info use full, as I have mentioned in the private post Pod filter are not good enough you will have some issues as certain revs as they don't let enough air in, you need velocity stacks from Dime City USA about £90 including all taxes, since putting these on my bike it runs perfect.

The other thing is as other here have mentioned here forget the Dyno

good luck & keep me posted
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:30:33 PM by Greebo »

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »
They look like the same pods I have on mine had a devil of a time trying to get it to run properly till I realised that the mounting rubbers actually reduce the intake too 28mm from 38mm so I was getting over rich mix pulled the rubbers out mad some new mounting out of polypipe and injinuity the differance was remarkable! Now just saving pennies till can afford descent set up.

Would like these guys to set it up for me but that's a dream.
http://www.d-mengineering.co.uk

Greebo

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 05:33:42 PM »
posted by Colonial_clive
SOHC Member.
Would like these guys to set it up for me but that's a dream.
http://www.d-mengineering.co.uk
[/quote]
I know Dave at D-mengineering.. he is the best engine builder in the country ! but very expensive, but not only that he uses a Dyno company at Newark Torquetune the owner & guy who does the Dyno is called Russ....Not Recommended believe me, he is the same one that I used & he  buggered up the carbs on my CB 750 big time & I had nightmare & more expense getting them sorted after he had done with them ...... Honda  CB 750 / 550 + other classic bike owners Stay clear of Russ at Newark Dyno...
if you have a modern bike & just want a power commander fitted then that's just about his bag >:(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:35:04 AM by Greebo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal