Author Topic: Crich Tramway Classic Bike Event 2018 (Sunday 1st July)  (Read 13860 times)

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Crich Tramway Classic Bike Event 2018 (Sunday 1st July)
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »
Another good day, I think there were more bikes in total but less of the really old flat tankers and such. A pity we were split up as a group.

Yes sorry chaps, we were promised it would work as the instructions I posted originally. I will raise the issues. Such as shame as not only is it nice to put faces to names but also see bikes that have been talked about / photographed as builds etc. Have to educate them that a SOHC Honda is not just any Honda!!

Everyone seems to have enjoyed it despite the above, as did I. Thanks for a great day.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2018, 09:53:25 AM »
You meet the nicest people on a Honda  :)

The snobbiest people on a Harley
The most conceited on a BMW
The angriest on a Triumph

ETC ETC

I also noticed on the way home that Harleys must have some sort of anti fall over device fitted since most riders seem to wear shorts/tank tops etc.

I even saw one guy with full textiles with his missus on the back with thin pants and rope shoes - what a caring hubby  ;) - crazy !!!!!!!!!!
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »
I think the ones with steamroller back tyres can't fall over, or even need a sidestand. In Switzerland I once saw a guy on the motorway riding an HD, wearing full safety equipment of helmet, trunks and flip flops. You wonder where they'd take the skin graft from if he fell off.

I can't take the p*ss too much as I own one somewhere, even though I never see it. On the way home I went like stink down the A6 after seeing a Sportster and a V-Rod pulling out of a side road, no way were they catching and passing me! In the next few minutes I passed two 911's and a Triumph TR6, there must have been a classic car do on somewhere as well. Needless to say, I never saw the Harleys again.

I'm off to the Le Mans Classic this weekend, there are usually one or two old Hondas around the paddock, I fell in love with an early 350 twin last time I went.

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2018, 07:33:20 AM »
Great hot day out. Was nice to see some old and young faces Mick  ;) Also some new ones. Shame not to see more members at these events as, so many live in the area.
I was advised to go to the overflow parking but, for some reason i never listen to anyone that doesn't know what they are doing  ;D ;D

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2018, 12:02:43 PM »
Hi ,

Just to say I have passed on our feelings re parking control on the day. See copy text of my email to Jon Lambley, one of the organisers.  I had the reply next morning (see below also), having only emailed him late the night before. I think this, along with his comments reflect they want to sort  it!

Tim

My email:-

Thanks Jon,

the problem was quite simple and related to parking in agreed exibition area. Having only found out late on about a change from last year to pre register individually,  our group members registered on the gate as requested and were given a red wrist band. Then on saying to marshalls they had been told to ask to be sent to the Honda area, many were refused, saying there was no space. I know specifically somone arrived at only 10.30 to be told this.

I think I personally got to the designated area on foot soon after 10. At that point there were probably 8-10 bikes parked up, of which 2 were SOHC members. The area was definitely  not full then, yet I know at that very time our members were being refused passage down.

We are not precious about our bikes being of a specific type and  happy to park up with other bikes and gladly share a general Honda grouping. However, there  was insufficient space left in our allocated area. As a forum we had registered interest for 15 -25 bikes. In reality less than that came, so we shoukd have had ample space. As you know our application was mislaid too and it was only on chasing things up that we found out about the pre registering thing at all. Was it the  case that he marshalls were sending any Hondas down to our area, taking up the majority of the space allocated to our specific group?

The idea of this event for our members who are from all over the country and often only know others by name, was to meet up chat and check out each other's bikes. Difficult when their machines were at extreme ends of the facility!

Jon, don't get me wrong we had a great day but the edge was taken off it by this for all of us. I think this needs more thought next year from the organisers. Please see this as constructive comment, I know you and others work really hard on this growing event.

On a more possitive note, gift aid was mentioned. Is the museum a registered charity? Also, how about a few more bike specific trade stalls? Would maybe keep people on site longer after all the bikes  have been checked out?

Regards,

Tim

Jon's Reply:-

Hi Tim,
no offence taken at all Tim and I understand your points.
The stewards were told any late entries were to be sent to the area up the hill at the top end and I definately told them that if any rider stated they were on a club or group stand that they should be directed there. Clearly it didn't happen and I can only appologise.
The mislaying of the form had nothing to do with that as I knew you were coming and kept that space for you. The fact that individuals hadn't booked was a  factor because had they booked it wouldn't have happened like it did. One change may happen for next year is pre-booked only, which should help.
Anyway, next year you will get together and I will make sure of it.
We are yet to have our debrief with the tramway and have lots of things to discuss and iron out.
Please appologise to your group and assure them they will be fine next year.
Trade stands is on the agenda but space is an issue.
Regards
Jon

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2018, 05:07:33 PM »
I don't think the location makes much difference as everybody mooches everywhere anyway. But you will not get much attention if your group is fragmented. Assurance has been given that it will not happen again. Twenty to thirty bikes stood together from the same group will always draw more attention than ten. Unless the ten were very special, but what's more special than a sohc. As it were I don't think you would have got twenty to thirty in that area because of all the triumphs that turned up quite early. Some of which were relatively new.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2018, 05:11:27 PM »
I think that's the key here, we need to be there before 10am.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »
Certainly from what I would call the new era of bonnies/tbirds but that could still make one over 15 years old I suppose, but personally I don't see them as classics.  You could get a 1800 Goldwing as old would you call that a classic.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2018, 07:56:55 AM »
One thing I might add. The SOHC seems to get the same location every year, it's not the best location I feel. How about asking if the exhibitors areas could be rotated every year, we'd certainly get more attention further up the site.

Who won best bike BTW? I saw a few rosettes on bikes but didn't spot best in show.

My bad Ken. I asked for the same area as thought all happy last year and assumed desirable place as Vincent club were in front of us last year (where Triumphs were this time). They are vey involved in organising the event. Glad to try something different if wanted...

Best bike in show as below.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

There is a facebook page which is something I generally avoid. However looked at it on my wifes phone. Low and behold, a photo of our very own John W riding in on his trusty 500/4.!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »
One thing I might add. The SOHC seems to get the same location every year, it's not the best location I feel. How about asking if the exhibitors areas could be rotated every year, we'd certainly get more attention further up the site.

Who won best bike BTW? I saw a few rosettes on bikes but didn't spot best in show.

If we move to a different area, then i would not know where to go when the marshals try sending me to a different place  ;)
I recon next year we should turn up with our bikes covered in rosettes, then we may get more attention  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal