Author Topic: D S Exhaust system  (Read 1018 times)

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
D S Exhaust system
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »
I have started putting my 400 four back together, when I got it it had a Motad system and I want the look of the original with the 4 sweeping pipes, I was going to buy the complete system from David Silver which works out about £625, has anyone fitted one of these and how do they look compared to a NOS system , how good is the chrome and are there any noticeable differences.
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: D S Exhaust system
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 02:40:11 PM »
I fitted a DS exhaust system to my 400/4 last year. It was a bit of a pig to fit and line up the collector with the silencer because it was so close to the sump. It went on in the end. I haven't had the bike on the road yet so can't say how it performs however, I think Paul on here had some back pressure issues with the silencer, there's a thread on here somewhere about it.
I don't think the headers are double skinned either and yellow with exhaust heat as a result.
They look the part though  :)
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 07:16:00 PM »
I bought the Motad down pipes with the intention of also buying the silencer from them when it was available. I missed the initial release and then unfortunately they went tits up so I had to buy the DS one. Would I buy another one NO, I still have a slight jetting issue and it has been a pain in the arse.
I believe they are supposed to be the same but in my experience far from it.
I have the original system which is immaculate tucked away in a nice dry warm box  :D :D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 07:59:18 PM »
The DS one and the Yamiya ones are not double skinned. I checked out one for Saisei that came from Yamiya in Japan.  It looked pretty well made and chromed but would probably discolour pretty quickly, I think, once it got hot in use. It fitted with a bit of jiggling and messing about but no way as good as the original. Following my checking of it Yamiya put 'Single skinned' on their website description. Why the hell someone can't make a double skinned one over 40 years after the original came out amazes me. They seem to manage it with the repro CB750, 500 and 350 fours.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 08:37:46 AM »
The DS one and the Yamiya ones are not double skinned. I checked out one for Saisei that came from Yamiya in Japan.  It looked pretty well made and chromed but would probably discolour pretty quickly, I think, once it got hot in use. It fitted with a bit of jiggling and messing about but no way as good as the original. Following my checking of it Yamiya put 'Single skinned' on their website description. Why the hell someone can't make a double skinned one over 40 years after the original came out amazes me. They seem to manage it with the repro CB750, 500 and 350 fours.

See here but Photobucket fooked it up a bit..
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8689.15.htm
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of trying to get a second hand collector that was undamaged and getting it re chromed, would this be a better solution or am I best just going with the pattern set? Also if anyone has a set for sale that have no dents that would be suitable for re choming.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:52:55 AM by ogri211 »
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of trying to get a second hand collector that was undamaged and getting it re chromed, would this be a better solution or am I best just going with the pattern set? Also if anyone has a set for sale that have no dents that would be suitable for re choming.

Personally I would try to get a double skinned original rechromed but a bit rare to find. If you do get one rechromed make sure they don't copper plate as the chroming will peel off in no time. I know people on here have had them rechromed. Try putting a request in the ' Desperately Seeking' section on here.

There's this one but looks a bit dented:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Honda-400-4-400-four-Genuine-Exhaust-Downpipes-Box-4-1/202153611467?hash=item2f114b50cb:g:FCEAAOSw~HBaOk66

You could try this guy : https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bike-pusher
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:22:44 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »

Personally I would try to get a double skinned original rechromed but a bit rare to find. If you do get one rechromed make sure they don't copper plate as the chroming will peel off in no time. I know people on here have had them rechromed. Try putting a request in the ' Desperately Seeking' section on here.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Honda-400-4-400-four-Genuine-Exhaust-Downpipes-Box-4-1/202153611467?hash=item2f114b50cb:g:FCEAAOSw~HBaOk66

Ash, you do realise Bitsa will be raining bad luck/punctures/ seized studs/ bolts everything at you for promoting B.P.!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:58:29 AM »

Ash, you do realise Bitsa will be raining bad luck/punctures/ seized studs/ bolts everything at you for promoting B.P.!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Well he had a few pops at me too as well as Bitsa (RIP) but let's face it he has the parts sometimes and, to be fair,  he often starts them  at a low auction  price. Anyhoo why would a newbie have issues with him  ;D I have encountered him on Facebook VJMC since  he was on here and no real issues but a lot of them on there have a similar attitude to him.  I notice in old CMM magazines, he used to write features in there.

I loved the story he told where he had a NOS 400/4  exhaust system on eBay and a used one, in the same period . Someone went to his house to pick up the used one but his missus almost passed over the NOS one by mistake. Lord knows what a NOS complete system goes for these days .. he was getting 1,500 GBP for them years ago.

Offline Golfcarmad

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 12:52:39 PM »
Just bought that set off eBay let’s hope 100 not wasted..
More bikes than sense!!
Honda 400/4 (almost fully rebuilt)
Triumph TR25W
Yamaha Virago 1100
Suzuki GSX750ES
Yamaha Virago 535
Honda CBR500F (Import)
Francis Barnett Plover
Puch Maxi 2 speed (makes me smile)
Cb100n cafe racer
50cc scooter (now does 52 mph)

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »
I've bought a set from another forum member, that needs a small repair, I phoned Sean at Agbrigg to ask about rechroming , he said about £250 to £300 I have used him in the past when I done my GT750 and he done a good job and turned it around in about 4 weeks. What recommendations does anyone have for chromers does that price sound about right who has other people used and got good results from, I would prefer someone who can turn them around in a reasonable time as I should have the bike finished for about the start of May.

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »
I sent my collectors to Agbrigg and I have received it back after 2 1/2 weeks which is very quick I have not seen it yet but my friend who received it said it is good apart from there is a couple of light stains on the inside which should polish out but cant be seen anyway which should be expected on a 40 year old pipe , I will have a better look when I get back from offshore and report.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 10:34:51 PM »
Wow, they look very nice.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport