SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

500-4 scrapheap challenge

<< < (5/6) > >>

SteveD CB500K0:
I all the years I’ve been running this site, I believe that this is the first “transplant” that has been attempted!

Good luck and keep the posts coming

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthewmosse:
I think the cb250n used the engine as a stresed member didn't it? So my guess is it would handle the modest power increase as it's fairly smoothly delivered. That said bending up a set of removable cradle tubes might be worthwhile - I think the 650 used such a device, not sure if I'm right on that, bought a job lot of 650 stuff and one bit looks like it would have done that job.
Best fortnights work I had was work expirience placement  at metal malarkey engineering, one project we were doing was fitting a Cr500 motor tuned to over 90 bhp into a Cagiva mito 125 shoehorned in so as to look as close to standard as possible.

haynes66:
i've cut the frame about and cut some engine plates etc which is the easy bit but now the hard work begins. the cover on top of the engine was the first to be removed but two of the long bolts have snapped already so i think it's going to be a long slow slog at an attempted strip using heat, diesel and a little brute force. i'll post any updates as/if things progress.

matthewmosse:
Paint it in old engine oil, being slightly acidic and very oily it really helps with freeing off old engines, especially mixed with a bit of carb cleaner and wd40. I used such a mix on a cb550  engine that was so corroded the clutch casing had dissolved, amazingly the top end was mint, especially things like camshaft and cam journals which whilst caked in oily mud cleaned up lovely.

haynes66:
thanks, i'll try that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version