Author Topic: Chromer for 4/4 exhaust header  (Read 964 times)

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Chromer for 4/4 exhaust header
« on: March 03, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
Im looking for input from anyone who has recently had a set of exhaust headers rechromed. Ive decided to go the direction of getting a second hand set rechromed rather than buying a new pattern set from DS, as I have heard of various problems, I have used Agbrigg in Leeds in the past to do one of my other bikes and the chrome seems to be wearing well and he turnred it around in about 4-5 weeks which is good. He quoted me between £250- 300 to do a set which I think probably would be the going rate these days, Who would anyone recommend.
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

Online Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Chromer for 4/4 exhaust header
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:14:28 AM »
I’ve had lots of parts done by Prestige Plating in Mexborough, Yorkshire (01709 577004) and have always been very satisfied with the results.  They are a family firm who understand our needs - they have classic cars themselves - don’t know if they have bikes.
They did the original DID wheelrims on my ‘Scottish’ 400/4 and a pair on my C50LAC with excellent results - not cheap but good never is.  Many places are reluctant to do rims cos it rips the mops up.

Might be worth a call to discuss what you need with your headers.

Ian
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:35:11 AM by orcadian »

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:15:55 AM »
OK Iain thanks for that.
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 10:43:09 AM »
OK Iain thanks for that.

I have never used Prestige as they polished to hell out of my friends, almost perfect to begin with,  CB750 Sandcast double cut front guard. It was so thin on the front edge that it was basically unusable. However, he had used  them previously on many occasions and everything was always spot on. That was a couple of years ago and I know lots of people who have used them recently and very pleased and  I believe their prices are quite good. I think the bug with chromers can be  with whoever does the polishing and prep. My mates guard was probably an old guy leaving and an interim polisher, not very experienced,  being employed. Chroming is a blooming lottery IMHO and it's always a big 'phew' when it arrives back looking good. Recently I have been using Aaron Walkinshaw in Coventry. He tells me he does the polishing himself and so far so good. He does rims and exhausts and has  a tinsmith guy  who will do repairs. However, he tells me he doesn't employ the  repair guy and he is very expensive as he is used to working on very high price classic cars.

Whoever you get to chrome your down pipes make sure they don't copper plate first.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »
I have used them many times and they have been superb.
I will be going over this week with the bits for the K1.
Rang them last week and there is currently a 3 month waiting time.
This is quite normal for them as they are always busy.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Online Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
If you are over this week, please say hello to the two ladies on the reception from Ian in Orkney  :)

Ian

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 02:51:39 PM »
If you are over this week, please say hello to the two ladies on the reception from Ian in Orkney  :)

Ian
Will do
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 04:31:52 AM »
I got them done by Sean at Agbrigg, turned them round in under 3 weeks.

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 05:54:04 AM »
OK Iain thanks for that.

Whoever you get to chrome your down pipes make sure they don't copper plate first.

Why not?
cheers, Uli

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
OK Iain thanks for that.

Why not?

As soon as they get hot, the plating bubbles up I believe Uli. There is a thread somewhere where I think Chromefix did some and they looked great till they got hot but that may have been acid entrapped. All the UK chromers I have been to won't copper plate headers though.

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8094.msg59556.html#msg59556
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:16:12 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »
copper expands and shrinks a lot when heated, maybe its to do with that. if the two metals have significantly different rates of expansion they will eventually break apart I guess..

I remember many moons ago when I used to be a centre lathe turner for a living (1980's). we used to turn large lumps of the stuff (about 12" diameter) and even the low heat generated, when turning with coolant on, was sufficient to cause them to literally fall out of the chuck when they cooled back down, due to severe expansion and shrinkage....

Plus one for Sean at Agbrigg, he certainly is fast and reasonably priced..... not sure if his quality is quite up with the best in the business though... but probably better than the original 1970's factory stuff :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal