SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

Down Under 1975 CB400F Restoration Project

<< < (2/4) > >>

SumpMagnet:
Ummmm...your electrics work better than mine. Wonder if I should fit some aftermarket wasp nests for a better spark!

Andych:
Surprisingly it ran fine.. started easy once I used the old screwdriver on the starter solenoid.. I think there is an issue with the starter switch.. but that will be looked at in due course :)

Andych:
Wow... nearly 12 months on and I have finally started to do something.
I decided that I really want to ride this bike so for now.. it is more about tidying it up and making it roadworthy so I can get out and have some fun on it.
Having said that.. the tank and side covers will definitely be painted.. I cant leave them as they are... that wouldnt be good.

First place to start was to tidy up the battery box and rear area of the frame that seems to have the most surface gunk / rust etc... I eventually found a way to get the battery box out after removing the rear guard, inner guard etc...lol
that will get a quick bead blast tomorrow and maybe some paint and the rear of the frame should get a hit with the wire brush and also get some paint.

I then wanted to see just how bad the exhaust headers are, thinking I might be able to repair them and live with them for a while but.... looking at the pics that might be a step too far.
The leak at the top of Number 2 pipe has been welded before.. but I could slowly do it again with the Mig.. another pin hole in pipe 4 I think and then the crush and grind on number 4 pipe down low where it has been dropped at some stage will be the death knell for this system I think.
The electrics seem to have only been butchered in the Indicators earth lines.. either scotch-loks or twisted and household connectors fitted... easy enough to resolve... I hope

That is enough for now.. hopefully a little will be done each week from now... she will go onto the lift table tomorrow.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Andych:
Ok, looks like my plans to get the CB400 back on the road reasonably quickly has been derailed.
While I took the rear sprocket cover off so I could get the starter motor cable off to replace it I had a look at what needed to be done on the frame where a poor welding job on the side stand area. It didn’t look too bad and was able to be done as it sat, UNTIL..........
I felt right underneath and behind and was horrified to find a reasonable part of the frame missing.
Not impossible to repair but it means Engine out, remove the outer patch that is there now and then form up another patch to replace what has been cut out of the frame.
So....if it is engine out then the frame will be blasted and powder coated so certainly not a quick fix.
It is hard to see from the pics as I had to use a mirror but it looks like the Patch they used wasn’t big enough so they just left it open.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Andych:
And my parts fro Silvers arrived today as well...not too bad a service for 8 Pounds and British Mail / Australia Post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version