Author Topic: Newbie From Yorkshire  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie From Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 09:59:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum. have fun and forget all about power to weight ratios as with these as there is plenty of weight and little power compared to newer bikes. ;)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »
The normal rules apply when looking at a bike. If it sounds like the head is being chewed up by the cam chain that's fairly normal for a 750.
One thing I have learnt is go with your gut feeling and don't be scared to walkaway. 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 10:39:37 PM »
Welcome Lee, as has been said, its all about what you fancy when your buying an old jap bike - if you where buying objectively, you'd buy a modern bike. Ref engine build, its rare that you can buy one that you can trust - you just don't know how its been treated - budget for an engine rebuild!
Enjoy the forum
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Leecurtis89

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum. have fun and forget all about power to weight ratios as with these as there is plenty of weight and little power compared to newer bikes. ;)

You are right, i just havent ridden one before. All the more fun!

Offline Leecurtis89

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 09:39:08 AM »
Welcome Lee, as has been said, its all about what you fancy when your buying an old jap bike - if you where buying objectively, you'd buy a modern bike. Ref engine build, its rare that you can buy one that you can trust - you just don't know how its been treated - budget for an engine rebuild!
Enjoy the forum
Phil

I am open to engine re-build and quiet frankly do want to re-build the engine to improve my knowledge.

The normal rules apply when looking at a bike. If it sounds like the head is being chewed up by the cam chain that's fairly normal for a 750.
One thing I have learnt is go with your gut feeling and don't be scared to walkaway. 

Thanks for the advice! Do you know what the cost are to get the bike registered if its an import? im guessing there is a thread related to this topic?

again here is the bike im going to view tomorrow, thoughts? : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312079517489?ViewItem=&item=312079517489

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 01:16:26 PM »
Talk to Ash about DK. He knows them well and might give you a few tips on how to cut a deal with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 01:22:13 PM »
If I start scanning this bike, I see a lot wrong with it. The folk legs are toooo long  ;)

Offline Leecurtis89

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »
If I start scanning this bike, I see a lot wrong with it. The folk legs are toooo long  ;)

Sounds like there is a list of things you have spotted. Again im out of my depth here on what im looking for. I know what im buying is to be a project but i really want to avoid buying a dud.

Was open to upgrading front forks to USD, but again i'd rather buy a good base than have to replace every other component!!

Offline Leecurtis89

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 01:37:25 PM »
Talk to Ash about DK. He knows them well and might give you a few tips on how to cut a deal with them.

Thanks Steve, What is Ash's user name? I'll try ask a few questions. The bidding ends tomorrow and its a knee jerk reaction but im keen to get a project started!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 02:48:45 PM »
AshimotoK0

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
Don't do it. It's had the American chopper workover, it will cost you a small fortune to put that back to standard let alone refurbish it. There's only been 1 bidder for a reason, and he's probably buying it to split as a donor bike. I run a CB750F2 with the "dreaded" PD carbs that I have now got correctly sorted and it runs superb. Just don't let it stand for weeks without running the engine though, they will clog up. And welcome to the forum.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Leecurtis89

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 05:58:16 PM »
Don't do it. It's had the American chopper workover, it will cost you a small fortune to put that back to standard let alone refurbish it. There's only been 1 bidder for a reason, and he's probably buying it to split as a donor bike. I run a CB750F2 with the "dreaded" PD carbs that I have now got correctly sorted and it runs superb. Just don't let it stand for weeks without running the engine though, they will clog up. And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the advice Roy and ill keep that in mind with the PD carbs! I plan to use my first CB as a trial and error. I will head down for a look as there are a few other bikes. Think i need to get around them and start looking at them not through a computer screen.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 09:06:03 PM »
Welcome in.... i agree with green1, dont worry about power or weight.... just enjoy the great looks and the cool sound from the exhaust....  8)

Thanks Rob, just having a flick through your build funnily enough.

Is there a thread regarding do's and don'ts when buying? Or what to watch out for when looking for a project? Im more than happy with full engine tare down but wont to make sure im not buying a no hoper
When i decided to get my latest project my main criteria was to avoid a full mechanical and cosmetic restoration. I wanted something reasonably inexpensive, something that i would be able to ride and enjoy without worrying about the gradual deterioiration that can happen after an expensive concours resto. So i opted to go for a USA import.... many of them have good chrome and paintwork with very little serious corrosion and low milage, but they can also have been stood for decades with unknown issues. I looked on DK ebay shop for bikes that appeared cosmetically decent but were also running.... When I found one i went down there to have a good look and listen to the motor and then did a deal face to face. Hopefully it will pay off and i will be riding this spring without having to spend too much money. I imagine the overall cost will be roughly 4.5 to 5.0k... But there are lots of different aproaches, some prefer the UK models which will usually require a major restoration, there are plenty of restored bikes on ebay for a bit more £, and some have superb concourse examples which must be extremely expensive to build but are very desirable and valuable.... whichever way you go you will find all the answers here im pretty sure of that.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 11:07:06 PM »
My green 750 was a DK bike looked like crap and probably handled like crap every bearing and bush was shot. High mileage engine 70k or something. I gave it a full service took the sump off to check for crap it was spotless. Its run perfectly now for 5 years.
From memory I think it cost £55 to register.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 11:11:52 PM »
Forgot to add I wouldn't bother with that one. But that's because I don't like that model.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal