Author Topic: Candy Blue Green.  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Blue Green.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »
When I say shine I'm not talking about the surface gloss.
I was meaning the way the Candy catches the light.
For instance. Cars 20yrs ago were a dull slightly sparkly effect, whereas now the light really bounces back through the colour coat.
 A long time back. I gave my T500 to my painter to respray Candy Lavender. He was using Standox paint at that time.
He said he got the colour right but. It looked wrong when on the piece. Standox sent my sample of Candy Lavender to their Barcelona factory to get the match. The explanation they gave was. It was due to the modern base coat using prisms rather than random flakes.
The same thing happened with my CD175A. They sent that one to Milan.
This is the basis of what I'm saying. It may be incorrect.
But paints are brighter now than 45 years ago. It about the only thing that is, LOL.
Sean.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 12:28:42 PM »
I would think it has something to do with the brand of the paint.
I have painted more than once parts matching original parts with no difference whatsoever...

Offline neat street

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 03:11:47 PM »
I am no expert on paint, but the reason for using water based paints now is the dangerous chemicals in cellulose and the like getting into the atmosphere (and lungs of sprayers etc), I would also suspect that the `deeper shine` we get now is due to the fact that we put layers of clear coat on  which deepen the shine and give a totally different affect to the paint? Water based paint seem not to harden as much (or the durability eg petrol eating it) as the older paints but as with all technology, some clear coats that protect the paint (eg, more expensive cars) have been developed that are so hard, the only way to cut through these for repair to damaged paint/panels is to use diamond abrasives.
hope I am not high jacking, just some info for discussion  :)
John
CB500 1973
CB750F 1976
KLX250 1983
Lambretta SX200
Mini Mayfair 1984

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 05:37:04 PM »
I'm no paint expert, but I completed a Honda CD175A 'sloper' restoration a few years ago (as image) Decided to use RS paints (Neptune Blue Metallic + Lacquer £120.00) more that usual paint required due to the frame.  Very pleased with the colour.
As Brian mentioned there are where no paint codes back in the day, so how do paint manufacturers like RS know the correct colour?
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »
They colour match original panels and started years ago when they were still available. They do not recognise the difference between candy cold and Starlight gold though

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal