Author Topic: Candy Blue Green.  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Candy Blue Green.
« on: March 15, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »
Hello.
I really quite fancy spraying my K1 in the Candy Blue Green of the K0.
Does anyone have a RAL code. For this colour?
Sean.

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Blue Green.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 09:07:58 PM »
Don't know the code but you can get the paint from here (69 K series Candy Blue Green). Don't know the quality though.

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 09:08:34 PM »
http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php

Here is what I should have put!!!

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 11:08:23 PM »
Cheers Deano

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 10:35:52 AM »
Just to say it again THERE IS NO CODE FOR HONDA PAINT COLOURS

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 12:01:37 AM »
After talking with my painter, who only paints bikes.
There appears that the water based paint from RS can be problematic.
So I'm still looking for Candy Blue Green in good old 2 pack solvent based paint.
Sean.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 08:45:12 AM »
After talking with my painter, who only paints bikes.
There appears that the water based paint from RS can be problematic.
So I'm still looking for Candy Blue Green in good old 2 pack solvent based paint.
Sean.

He's correct I think Sean. When I got my 750K0 painted candy red, another friend had his very early VIN red sandcast paint done around the same time. We both used the painter because he had previously done the other guys CBX1000 and the finish was excellent. However, I opted for conventional paint and my mate opted for RS bike paint which was water based. Mine turned out looking great with my mate always says that the RS water based doesn't look 'Candy' enough and has even considered having his paint redone. The painter wasn't at fault as he reckoned RS prices were extortionate and that we both used his own sourced paint.
This was painted by a  renowned UK guy but to  be honest, you won't go far wrong using Menno on here (Ok he'sin Germany but postage really isn't that bad). His work is superb (ask others who use him).

I guess lots of paint shops have had crash course in Candy type paints, as you see it on loads of  Renaults & Mazda's  these days ... They must be water based though so perhaps there is a water based system that cuts the mustard.  Menno will know  ;D I believe he mixes his own colours these days.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 11:51:05 AM »
The paint from RH is what most people use and if you are careful with the candy layer you might get a nice result.
Although quite a lot of Honda enthousiasts think the candy bluegreen from RH is a bit too blue - not enough green.

I did a k0 for Uli - who is also on this forum (Sgt Pinback i believe) and for him I mixed a much greener candy bluegreen since he was not satisfied with the RH bluegreen.
It is not an easy colour to paint in the first place. Since the base is silver one might easily paint too many layers resulting in a too dark colour.

Waterbased paints on a motortank is always a bit difficult..  A motorbike tank is in many ways more exposed to gasoline than a gastank in a car.
One needs different techniques in prep work and painting. But if your painter only paints bikes I'm sure he will know all this.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 09:04:43 PM »
What’s the general opinion on RS aerosol’s?  They do the original colour for my import (boss maroon metallic). I was toying with the idea of respraying the side panels as they have a few areas where the paint is off. I wouldn’t be looking for a showroom finish, but at £61.80 for paint, lacquer, plastic primer and shipping its not exactly cheap stuff...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:27:13 PM by Rob62 »

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 10:05:31 PM »
Hello Menno.
Would it be possible for you to mix a batch of paint for my sprayer to use?
I know what you say about putting on too much candy.
I suppose the best thing would be to find a genuine Honda part with original paint to use as a reference point.
Was the Candy Blue Green used on the early CD175A Solper?
It looks very similar.
Sean.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 11:11:37 PM »
CD175A Sloper is a normal metallic not Candy. Colour is Neptune Blue Metallic ...The CB750K1 is Candy blue/green (silver basecoat, candy coat then clear coat).
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 07:13:12 AM »
Here's a thing with modern Candy colours.
Even though the shade can be matched. The shine cannot.
If you compare a original factory painted piece to a item sprayed using modern Candy. The colour maybe a close match. But it will light up completely wrong. The original sparkle primer contained random shaped flakes of metallic.
Where modern paint has identical perfect prisms, which reflect the light far more effectively. Making restored bikes of the right colour. Look completely wrong.
Sean.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 07:18:07 AM »
We have all our paint work done by Menno, including Honda Candies, it is the most perfect match to a period colour, not too shiny, just perfect. If it wasn't right, we wouldn't send so many paint sets there.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »
To use an aerosol (spraycan) to paint plain metallics like boss maroon is not a problem.
Paint in gereral is not cheap but since paintshops try to keep their recipees to them selves they can add an extra percentage to the price.

You will have to paint a clear coat as well to protect the metallic though.

At this moment the paint I use to paint I mix and have to use it immediately.
I cannot mix it and send it (yet). Altough I am working on a possibility to sell paint as well.
Especially since the paints available are not easy to work with.
Candy from RH is almost water (I don't know why they make the paint like that) and that makes it quite difficult.
And I've gotten some candy from RS through a forum member... that is almost paste (!?)

About the shine on old and new candy:
Original paint that was new in the day was a full shine paint. The paint, if polished would keep being shiny.
I often get the question if I could paint the lid on the cb550 in the same tone of mattblack.
But it should be shiny black.

The colours in candy are often a 1 to 1 match in shine and tone.
Metallic in the base is the same and are always a random shapes metallic or flakes.
Even I have been to meetings not able to tell at first sight weather the bike had a repaint or an original paint.
The metallic in cans or even the flakes are chips of aluminium which are randomly filed off, not stanced out.
Exactly like 40 years ago.

Yes you can buy flakes which are all exactly the same. Those are often made of plastick and used for handicraft or barby furnature and such.
You can use that as flakes on a tank as well. Think about bumbercar paint on a fair.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:26:11 PM by Menno »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal