Author Topic: Mot change  (Read 683 times)

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Mot change
« on: March 24, 2018, 03:37:51 PM »
Can someone tell me if a bike needs a current mot for the V5  to be changed to historic and if so what happens come May when a bike over 40 years old will no longer need an Mot?  Reason being is that I might be putting my 550 up for sale but would like to get the V5 changed first. I don't really want to Mot it if it's not necessary or won't be in May.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Mot change
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
It doesn't need an M.O.T. to change the taxation class, just fill in the changes section of the V5 and send it to DVLA, they should then send you a new V5 with the new taxation class "Historic Vehicle". As regards selling it without an M.O.T. you will get a much better price if it has one, as there will be a sudden glut of real crap coming on the market when M.O.T. rules change, if it has a new/very recent test, it will stand out!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 04:33:38 PM »
I did my 400/4 last year and yes it needs a current mot.
You can do the taxation change at the post office as I did.
They will change the classification to historic tax it and keep the log book which is sent to the dvla.
Dvla will issue a new one with the new tax classification.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 04:56:20 PM »
So you will still be able to take it for an Mot  even if it doesn't require one?

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
As insurance companies currentley state you must have a current mot to use on the road  and  there is nothing to stop you still taking it for a mot. Will your insurance still be valid even though you will not be forced to have one, if you do not have a mot. It's one to ask your insurance company.  As they can put in their terms and conditions what ever they want.

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 05:13:49 PM »
Good point. I think I'll get one done anyway as the previous poster pointed out that it will probably make the bike more saleable.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 01:11:01 AM »
So here is an interesting ?

If I import a USA bike on a NOVA even if it’s 40 years pls do I still need to get an mot to obtain an age related plate and historic V5 taxation class?

I think the answer is yes but ??????
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »
So here is an interesting ?

If I import a USA bike on a NOVA even if it’s 40 years pls do I still need to get an mot to obtain an age related plate and historic V5 taxation class?

I think the answer is yes but ??????

In short, Yes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal