Author Topic: MOT after May 20th?.  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: MOT after May 20th?.
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
Surely we know when our bikes are fit for the road
In the 40yrs I have owned & restored bike. I have never had a failure.
If you clean & polish a bike regularly. Any potential problems are easily spotted.
As for Insurance companies insisting on MOT tests.
I can't see how they can. The law says "not required" so the Insurance companies have no legal mandate. To demand otherwise.
Sean.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2018, 11:46:27 AM »
They do not need a legal mandate. It would simply be in their terms and conditions to have one, and if you want them to insure you then it is up to you to meet their terms and conditions or seek insurance elsewhere.
Enthusiasm does not mean someone can necessarily do a job. You only have to see some of the very basic questions asked on forums and that's by those who bother to ask. How many don't bother asking believing they already know the correct answer. This is not only going to apply to something as simple as a motorcycle. Ask the testers and ex testers some of the stupid things they have seen which the owners must have thought to be ok or they would have never presented the vehicles in that state in the first place.

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »
I have two 1970's Honda 4's on the road. On the one, the MOT expired on 12th April. The second bike has a test expiry date of 20th May and I therefore telephoned the DVLA to confirm the new situation.

I was informed that in the case of the bike with an MOT expiry date of 12th April, I could either have it tested at that time and continue to ride it (which I did) or wait until the new rules come in and use it without an MOT after that date. In the case of the bike where the MOT expires on 20th May, it could be used without an MOT under the new rules from the time that the existing MOT expires. I asked the DVLA whether I would need to fill in a form to operate it without an MOT and they said not until the next tax application is made. (Both bikes are already registered in the "Historic Vehicle" category).

I have also contacted my insurer to obtain their view. Their immediate response was that they will follow the law, and an MOT is not needed for their purposes after the new rules come into effect.

If you are affected by this and intend to operate without an MOT do please check for yourself rather than relying on my comments, your situation may be different or your insurer might take a different view of matters!

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
I was told basically the same thing but to call them again once it came into practice, as they would know for sure the legal requirements.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
Two of my fathers bikes are pre 1960, the no MOT rule has applied to them for a while therefore insurers are well aware of the changes and how it affects vehicles they insure, I fail to see why it would make any difference now the date is being altered.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2018, 04:54:51 PM »
Simply because there will be a large sudden increase in the number of vehicles that will not legally require a Mot and will continue to increase every year.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2018, 07:04:19 AM »
It's a fairly academic change really, the owner is still responsible for ensuring the vehicle is road legal every trip they take. Insurance assessors will still have the tyre tread gauge   in hand as they get out of the vehicle.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »
Simply because there will be a large sudden increase in the number of vehicles that will not legally require a Mot and will continue to increase every year.

But that happened when the pre 1960 no MOT rule came into force, probably even more vehicles than now, and there was no issue from insurers then. In fact when the 1960 rule came about it was a new thing, now its just a date change so old hat to insurers.
And as said before, an MOT only lasts for the moment its MOT'd, driving/riding home from the test something could break making the vehicle unsafe. Insurers know this.

Don't get me wrong, I've worked in MOTing and have seen some of the vehicles presented which makes me worry that these vehicles will now be used unchecked. But I don't think the insurance people will make an issue of the new no MOT date, the same as they didn't when it first came into force.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2018, 09:53:21 AM »
I hope your right. Only time will tell.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »

just had a reminder for my RD,its historice and need me to make a payment of £0.00  before june.

BUT,it still claims it will need an MOT,maybe I will wait till after 20th May before I pay my £0.00
and see if it becomes MOT exempt !!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »

just had a reminder for my RD,its historice and need me to make a payment of £0.00  before june.

BUT,it still claims it will need an MOT,maybe I will wait till after 20th May before I pay my £0.00
and see if it becomes MOT exempt !!!

I like an optimist - do you think our beloved Gov is that organised
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2018, 04:47:29 PM »
Just renewed my insurance though Carol Nash and that included breakdown assistance. The first line of Restrictions of cover states the vehicle must be UK registered with a current MOT. One might expect there to be perhaps in brackets if applicable but there isn't.

So on the face of it it seems that no MOT no breakdown assistance. Before I get on the phone for clarification I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.   

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2018, 09:28:51 PM »

just an update,

I contacted the DVLA.asking the question,

and guess what,I got an answer,

which I copy and paste.
 I let you draw you conclusions over the answer

Thank you for your enquiry received on 9/5/2018.
Your case reference number is 00600641.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter.?

With regards to MOT enquiries, please contact;

Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency

Ellipse
Padley Road
Swansea
SA1 8AN

Telephone number: 0300 123 9000

email: https://www.gov.uk/contact-dvsa

I hope this information is of assistance to you.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our reply form link or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://live.email-dvla.service.gov.uk/w2c/en_GB/forms/Response?token=b39eb94cbbf47b005d1a8b0a6c7429d6

Best Regards
R Roach
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2018, 12:03:57 AM »
DVLA are a bunch of Muppets! >:(
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
I have rung the DVLA this morning to enquire about the new MOT's for vehicles over 40 years old.

They have confirmed that it runs live from 20th May, so from that date provided you have insurance you will be able to apply for tax and you will not need to have a current MOT.

If, like me, you have some already insured and taxed but the MOT's have elapsed you need to do nothing but simply use them from that date.

They were not able to advise what the specific procedure is/will be if you are taxing the vehicle on or after the 20th May so I guess we will all find out on that day but if you already have current insurance and tax but no MOT from the 20th May you will not need it.

Have also checked with my Insurance Company, RH, and they have confirmed that a vehicle will need to be roadworthy but will no longer require a MOT certificate for insurance or any breakdown cover.

Andy
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 09:54:27 AM by sprinta »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal