Author Topic: Dating certificate in order to register import  (Read 1882 times)

Offline llessur

• Honda 400/4
    • View Profile
Dating certificate in order to register import
« on: March 29, 2018, 04:30:24 PM »
Done a few searches on this but I think I am still struggling to understand so here goes.
I have a US import 400f I wish to register.
I have obtained the forms from the DVLA
I have taken photos of the bike as needed
I have it booked for an MOT

What I do need is to get a "Dating Certificate"
Can anyone recommend who I go to and what I ask for.
DVLA told me I need to contact Honda

Sorry, I am sure for those that have been through this process it is very simple but first time arround it does seem daunting.

Do I need to insure the bike on its chassis number ? I was going to trailer it to the MOT station

Thanks in advance

Russell

Online SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Dating certificate in order to register import
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 04:44:22 PM »
Get a dating certificate from here:

http://www.vjmc.com

got mine in less than 48hrs

I insured mine on the chassis number and then rode to the MOT.

Be warned, some insurance companies will only register on chassis number for 28 days or so. So you need MOT, and the DVLA to issue you registration in that timeframe. If your bike fails the MOT then thats another chunk of time.

DVLA were quick and turned mine around in 8 days.

Peter James insurance does not have a limit on how long you can keep it insured on chassis number.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:48:11 PM by SteveW »
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »
Honda U.K. will only provide dating cert for bikes THEY brought into the UK. For an import the VJMCC  will do it for a price (no idea how much) and you may need to join the club to use that facility. Insurance is only needed on frame number when you submit the M.O.T. and other documents to DVLA to register it.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
I found Honda UK to be no help at all with dating my CB750 K1, an import from South Africa, even though 5 minutes on Google would tell you what year it is, from the VIN number.

Their attitude was if we didn't sell it, we have no records, full stop.

The VJMC helped me out with a dating certificate in the end, it may be free if you join, I paid for mine (and joined later  ::) )

There is no truth in the rumor that I temporarily put on the plate of another bike which I own on to go to the MOT test, as that would have been illegal.  ;) Obviously I took it in a van. After May 20th you may not have to get an MOT if it is old enough for free tax, but I don't know for sure.

Once I had an MOT and sent the forms in the DVLA did dick me around and send me the forms back telling me there was no trace of the NOVA number on the system, I rang HMRC who told me that the DVLA were being stupid and that it was OK, I tried again and suceeded in getting a registration number.

I did originally insure it on the chassis number, then Carol fecking Nash tried to charge me an arm and a leg for altering the policy, I told them where to go and went elsewhere (Adrian Flux), so they charged me for cancelling it instead. They have lost my custom forever, and I will tell anyone who will listen.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »
I get all my date certs through the Aircooledrdclub club. £15 for Yams. £30 for anything else.
Also it is legal to ride to MOT without a numberplate. As long as it is insured on its frame number.
As for using Carol Nash. I'd rather shove wasps up my arse!
Sean.

Offline llessur

• Honda 400/4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 06:30:03 PM »
Thank you all for your help, I will try VMRC
Oh and I must agree about Carol Nash.
Hopefully all will be sorted for when we get better weather :-)

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 10:10:19 PM »
Just thought I'd update something in this thread for the benefit of future generations . . .

. . . Honda in the UK will now provide proof of year of manufacture for its bikes that were originally sold outside the UK.  I know 'cos they've just done one for me.  As long as they can trace the bike back to the factory it was assembled in, they'll supply a dating certificate.  Current charge is £30.

Looking at the e-mail address (certificateofconformity@honda-eu.com), I'm pretty sure those requests dealt with by the same department you need to contact if you want a certificate of conformity to apply for an exemption to the ULEZ in London.  From what I've heard, they'll only supply those certificates for bikes made after the year 2000 (roughly the same time much of their range became fuel injected).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 08:37:44 PM by the-chauffeur »

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 01:28:15 PM »
You will need a dating certificate from the VJMC approx. 30 quid but you will also need a letter from Honda UK explaining that they are unable to date the vehicle (this is because the original vehicle manufacturer is still in existence). Send both off to DVLA with all the other bumf...

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 10:53:37 PM »
When I did my American imported 750 last year, I just used the dating Cert from VJMC and didn't need the additional letter from Honda
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Online SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 10:59:32 PM »
When I did my American imported 750 last year, I just used the dating Cert from VJMC and didn't need the additional letter from Honda

Same here
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 10:59:41 PM »
It's still the same Phil...you only need one or the other, not both. If Honda can't supply the info, then the VJMC dating cert is needed, and does the job just fine.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 11:04:39 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »
When i registered mine last year i spoke to the dvla first to make sure i sent all the correct forms as I didn’t want to get it all back.... i was told that if the vehicle manufacturer is still in existance you must get a dating certificate from them, if they cannot date the vehicle for whatever reason you can use an enthusiasts club eg vjmc but you must also get a letter from the manufacturer stating that they are unable to date the vehicle and send this in too. However as many have found, the dvla are a bit hit and miss to deal with so it doesn’t surprise me that others have got away without the additional letter... i can only quote my own experience when offering advice  :)

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 07:56:12 PM »
The DVLA use many Agency Staff (like all Government Departments) who often don't get much 'quality' training - as they might not be there the following week. HMRC I can assure you are no better at their procedures, rules and regulations, and you need a First Class Degree to follow their logic at times !

Let's face it, if most of us on this fine Forum have trouble following the barmy DVLA procedures, rules and regulations, and despite our many years breathing, sh*gging, bringing up Kids (and Grandkids), earning a living, buying & selling houses, running businesses, spannering some really old bikes to keep them roadworthy - and generally keeping the world turning - so what chance do spotty 18 year old sprogs have of processing our applications correctly and promptly !

If the DVLA did everything using a standard dedicated software package on t'internet....i.e. in a particular format so that applicants can see exactly what the DVLA Staff are using as a checklist, then it would be a lot easier for all involved. You can't get much simpler than a YES/NO application ! Now that would be something that a computer savvy spotty 18 year old sprog could develop and it would probably make life a lot easier. Why should it be difficult to register a pile of parts or an imported classic bike ? 99% of those who do so are NOT trying to cheat the HMRC/ DVLA so why don't the powers that be wake up and smell the coffee........the Classic Bike Business generates Billions of ££££/$$$$$ each year so why do they make it so difficult to give HMRC and DVLA our money ? Sorry to rant about it but it just seems such an ongoing and unnecessary PITA.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »
I agree... the dvla (and the gov website in general)  is just about impossible to make sense of...and their continued insistence on using bits of paper and the post man in order to access their services is remarkable, to say that we are in the 21st century..... it’s not like they can’t do it when they want to, take the vehicle taxing process for example, very easy and simple to use..... i guess because its their main revenue collecting process....but anything else, Jesus, they are old fashioned and slow

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 09:16:52 PM »
You don't want to enter the world of trying to get your licence back from the DVLA when it has been taken off you for medical grounds and you have been given the all clear and your consultant has sent them the report giving the all clear. The medical dept just will not talk to you and no way to contact them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal