Author Topic: 750 K1 project  (Read 18940 times)

Offline Crispy

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 750 K1 project
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2020, 11:34:21 PM »
Well, after a bit of a break, OK about 3 months :o where did that go? I have managed to replace the damaged oil tank hose, fill with oil and get it circulating up to the camshaft (although it's not squirting everywhere, more like flowing copiously) using the kickstart. I have now also collected replacement side panels, lamp holders and headlamp shell and will be taking them with the tank to the paint shop in the next week. Colour undecided as yet but do like the Candy Blue Green. Still loads to do and a few more parts to find but its getting more complete every day.  :)

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2020, 07:47:11 AM »
Coming along Mick.
I loved the Candy Blue Green but if you are staying original it's not a UK K1 color which is why I went the Red.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2020, 09:40:03 AM »
You will not get much oil pressure by using the kick start. When the engine is turning over at 1000 rpm without the rockers in place, the oil pressure pushes the jets out ;)

Offline Crispy

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2020, 09:53:24 AM »
Coming along Mick.
I loved the Candy Blue Green but if you are staying original it's not a UK K1 color which is why I went the Red.

Love the red as well Paul,  I keep changing my mind which way to go, mine is a US import and its original colour is Valley Green, which I also like :-\

Offline Crispy

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2020, 09:56:11 AM »
You will not get much oil pressure by using the kick start. When the engine is turning over at 1000 rpm without the rockers in place, the oil pressure pushes the jets out ;)
Graham,
I think the only thing raised while using the kickstart was my blood pressure but I was relieved to see some oil make an appearance through the tappet covers!  :)

Offline Crispy

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »
Coming along Mick.

Love the red as well Paul,  I keep changing my mind which way to go, mine is a US import and its original colour is Valley Green, which I also like :-\

I'll have to decide soon because, as the forecast snow hasn't arrived I'm just about to set off for the paint shop!  ::)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:06:30 AM by Crispy »

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2020, 10:17:15 AM »
...........will be taking them with the tank to the paint shop in the next week. Colour undecided as yet but do like the Candy Blue Green. Still loads to do and a few more parts to find but its getting more complete every day.  :)

Coming along nicely and I'm enjoying keeping up with this thread - what's the timeline for completion?

There's a school of thought that promotes originality, but have to say that if my K1 was any other colour than Candy Ruby Red (or Gold) I'm pretty sure I would have chosen one of those colours despite the 'dilemma' losing some originality, lucky I didn't have to choose. 

At the end of the day it's your bike, so any colour you wish.

1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline Crispy

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »
...........will be taking them with the tank to the paint shop in the next week. Colour undecided as yet but do like the Candy Blue Green. Still loads to do and a few more parts to find but its getting more complete every day.  :)

Coming along nicely and I'm enjoying keeping up with this thread - what's the timeline for completion?

There's a school of thought that promotes originality, but have to say that if my K1 was any other colour than Candy Ruby Red (or Gold) I'm pretty sure I would have chosen one of those colours despite the 'dilemma' losing some originality, lucky I didn't have to choose. 

Andrew,
I'm hoping to have it finished in time for Crich this year,  I'm enjoying keeping up with your build as well, great job!  I have dropped everything off now at the painters and have plumped for the Candy Blue Green, whatever the colour its going to be an improvement on the starting point!

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2020, 09:28:32 AM »

Andrew,
I'm hoping to have it finished in time for Crich this year,  I'm enjoying keeping up with your build as well, great job!  I have dropped everything off now at the painters and have plumped for the Candy Blue Green, whatever the colour its going to be an improvement on the starting point!

Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished job and hope you've got it ready for Crich. My K1 will be, but I won't - I promised my wife I wouldn't jump straight onto my bikes and start riding on 2 July. Makes sense, I suppose.....
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »
if my K1 was any other colour than Candy Ruby Red (or Gold) I'm pretty sure I would have chosen one of those colours despite the 'dilemma' losing some originality, lucky I didn't have to choose.

I quite like Valley Green, in my eyes a candy version of British Racing Green, and the colour of the first CB750 I saw in the flesh, but noone ever chooses Candy Poo Brown.

By the way when I rebuilt my CB750 K1 engine, I kicked and kicked, and even tried the starter in desperation but not one drop of oil did I see until I took advice from this board and primed the oil pump with half a tub of Vaseline!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:40:11 PM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Crispy

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2020, 07:25:33 AM »
By the way when I rebuilt my CB750 K1 engine, I kicked and kicked, and even tried the starter in desperation but not one drop of oil did I see until I took advice from this board and primed the oil pump with half a tub of Vaseline!

I was really expecting to have to do the Vaseline thing but priming the pump with oil seems to have worked out ok. I submerged the pump in oil and operated it by hand until the air bubbles stopped appearing then fitted it to the engine while it was on the bench then fitted the engine in to the bike. It then sat there for 3 months or so until I found a replacement oil hose  so I was mildly surprised to say the least when oil appeared at the camshaft!  :)

Offline Crispy

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2020, 07:21:21 PM »
Well after what must be the longest wait for a paint job here's an update on this stop / start project.
I dropped my tank etc off for painting in Feb, just before lockdown and got it all back last week.I couldn't resist fitting it temporarily just to see how it looked. It is candy blue/ green although it looks more like blue in the photo.
The front end is finished, brakes sorted, all electrics work, just need to fit the carbs , find an airbox lower half ,order the exhaust system then fire it up, hopefully! ....Maybe another 6 months the way things have been going!  ::)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2020, 07:52:55 PM »
Wow, That is looking fantastic Mick, you can't rush a good thing. Just one little observation, your Honda wings on the side panels fitted to the bike, are flying backwards but in the other photo of just the side panels, they are on the correct way 🤔🤔🤔
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Crispy

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2020, 07:56:30 PM »
Wow, That is looking fantastic Mick, you can't rush a good thing. Just one little observation, your Honda wings on the side panels fitted to the bike, are flying backwards but in the other photo of just the side panels, they are on the correct way 🤔🤔🤔

Cheers Julie,
Yes I hadn't secured the Honda wings permanently in either of the pictures, they are fixed now though and facing the correct way.  ;)

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2020, 09:42:26 PM »
Well after what must be the longest wait for a paint job here's an update on this stop / start project.
I dropped my tank etc off for painting in Feb, just before lockdown and got it all back last week.I couldn't resist fitting it temporarily just to see how it looked. It is candy blue/ green although it looks more like blue in the photo.
The front end is finished, brakes sorted, all electrics work, just need to fit the carbs , find an airbox lower half ,order the exhaust system then fire it up, hopefully! ....Maybe another 6 months the way things have been going!  ::)

Looking great Mick - there's a NOS set of HM300s on eBay, not cheap though: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Honda-OEM-Exhaust-Mufflers-HM300-1969-1971-CB750-FOUR/293668083784?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal