Author Topic: No MOT required  (Read 896 times)

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
No MOT required
« on: March 31, 2018, 10:04:42 PM »
 As of May this year Historic vehicles wont require a valid MOT, but beware.The only thing about the MOT is if you have an accident the insurance will use it as an excuse to hold back from paying out, I have heard several stories from boys with pre 1960's vehicles and the first thing the insurance asks is do you have a valid MOT even though it is not required by law, I now have 3 bikes that don't require an MOT shortly and due to the amount of money tied up in them I think it would be prudent to get them MOT ed as then there are no arguments about  them being roadworthy.  As you know insurance companies will do anything to avoid paying out, how many old rusty land rovers and ex farm vehicles that haven't been on the road for 15 years do you think are going to get pulled out and taxed, the insurance companies will not differentiate between these and a motor cycle that has been pampered. There is also the bike that has had a lot of money spent on it and looks good but has been put together by someone whose Engineering skills are maybe not as good as they think, think of the bikes you have bought that look good and when you look close they are death traps. 
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: No MOT required
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 07:28:31 AM »
Very good points you make
I just mot' d my van and the tester said that they now have to fail vehicles with oil leaks
Surely not that's just plain stupid why th f do they keep changing shit
So if that is the case the brit boys won't  mot

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 08:02:41 AM »
A major oil leak has been a failure for years, basically if the tester gets dripped on iy ought to fail

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 04:40:14 PM »
I think they need to fail more leaky cars and vans.
I'm fed up with dodging oil slicks on the road and even when walking on the paths.

Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »
I think they need to fail more leaky cars and vans.
I'm fed up with dodging oil slicks on the road and even when walking on the paths.

Too true. A lot of it is from lorries and knackered old vans. 😣
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
And almost every French car from a year old onwards.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 08:31:31 AM »
Worst offenders for oil slicks in my neck of the woods is tractors overfilling the fuel tanks, often you can track the vehicles progress for miles by the slick of diesel. Add that tractors are already not mot tester and the oil leak is actually just red diesel from overruling which is easy to cure and very preventable. Compare these slicks to a leaky old wreck loosing it's engine oil, well by the time your leak is bad enough to leave a noticeable oil slick behind the vehicle as it's on the move, then that engine is terminal and using oil at a rate that makes it very very expensive to run. No mots doesn't worry me too much, I have run these old bikes on a shoe string before, they do not tolerate most of the faults the mot man would fail them on without becoming so horrid to ride and unreliable that you have to fix them regardless of what certificates they might have.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 09:13:22 AM »
Had French cars for the last 20 years. Last one needed 2 lots of rear windscreen wipers (yes the front lasted all the time I had it), two bits of back exhaust, one door lock and only one bulb apart from normal service parts in 9 years. Even the battery lasted 8.5 years. One I have now equally zero probs thus far. (8 years)
And the only oil leak I have ever had was when in he south of France I topped up the oil a little and forgot to put the cap back on! If anyone wants to know the oil pressure light comes on when there is about 0.75 litre left! But after begging oil from passing motorists it was up and running.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
Don't get me wrong I'm not against French cars. French Diesels are almost indestructible. I've just seen many well abused thrashed ones that tend to spit out oil.
I'm a sucker for Italian vans as I've managed to get over 300,000 out of them. I wish my bikes were that good.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 09:39:29 AM »

Had a 306 TD for a few years, running it back and forth to Greece. Never leaked oil, never had the engine apart and sold it with over 1,100,000 miles. The only thing that stopped working was the central locking, so had to put the key in the door lock to open  ;D

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »
We have 2 old Berlingos, cannot fault them really, cheap parts. Fairly reliable. Good on fuel, and as a self employed handy man I love the fact I can carry wife and kids back from holiday on Sunday including luggage, and Monday morning I can be headed off on a job with a mini dumper in the boot and if needed a trailer on the back too. Yes at 15 years old they need the odd part doing, but generally it's a case of things feel or sound a bit odd when driving and a quick inspection reveals a simple fix. Only significant oil leak was a garage not tightening the oil fill bolt on the gearbox, only spotted when it was down to a thimble of oil, cooked an output seal, not very expensive to have sorted. Glad I investigated a extra oil drop on the drive, could have been a gearbox. When they do eventually die, it will be more of the same for me. Elasticated waistband of the car world maybe but very practical, lots of cubby holes to keep ratchet straps mean a family day out can be augmented by impulse buying engines or bulky furniture and tiring them in the boot or to the roof.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »
I have an old 1994 106 diesel and it's fab! Old french cars rule!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
I had French and Italian cars and vans for years until the theft at Christmas when I got a Ford Focus estate. The difference is unbelievable, I couldn't believe what a pile of sh**e I had been driving around in. Wont be buying rubbish like that again. Now about the Dacia Sandero, just cheap transport for people with zero interest in cars?

I also think oil leaks should be an MOT fail, nothing more dangerous for bikers than oil on the road. In fact, I would fine the buggers as well. Had a front wheel lock a few years ago on an oil patch, let off the brake and went right over the centre of the roundabout through all the flowers. Didn't come off or damage the bike but it was just pure luck that nothing was on the roundabout.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:54:05 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 05:26:56 PM »
I bought my sister a Sandero a couple of years ago. Its got more plastic then a wheelie bin but its a great little thing runs on fumes and its so cheap you don't mind the odd car park ding.

My new Vauxhall combo is just a rebadged Fiat and it rattles like buggery but it was cheap brand new so I can live with that.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal