Author Topic: Rear chainguard Question  (Read 1409 times)

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Rear chainguard Question
« on: April 08, 2018, 03:42:09 AM »
Does anyone know if the rear chainguard round plate that is riveted to the original sprocket from any other models fits the 400 four as I would like to fit one but they seem rather hard to come by.
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Rear chainguard Question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 07:56:22 AM »
The 400 Honda parts list only shows the sprocket complete with the guard you need, so although that guard MIGHT have been fitted to other models, it’s not possible to do a parts cross reference in the normal way.  Is your sprocket already drilled - i.e. is it an original one?  Also, to complicate matters, there are 2 types -one with four indents and t’other without, although you might not mind either.

I’ll have a look to see if there is one lurking in a dark corner but you will also need alloy rivets, I couldn’t source them anywhere so I made some on the lathe.

Ian

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »
CB250/360G5  plate very similar if not identical. I can check if you wish. Funny coating on those plates a cross between olive drab & black? What do you reckon Ian?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:29:11 AM »
Hi Ash,
Yes, the one on my US 400/4 with a very early frame number was satin black but the 76 ‘Scottish’ one was a kind of off black colour although now satin black after repairing a few scuffs and scratches, presumably where the chain had come off.  I’m too old now to bother about tiny differences but respect the views of the real aficionados.
Ian

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 09:41:52 AM »
Also similar fitted to 250n, one laid on my garage floor for weeks.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:23 AM »
Wow, nice price.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 11:05:45 PM »
Im not that desperate that I would pay that money, but I think it would finish it off nice, I would just paint it satin black and drill and tap the sprocket, I have some nice stainless dome head allen bolts that would finish it , so if anyone has one for sale im not that bothered about it being the exact one.
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 11:30:10 PM »
Ive seen one on ebay for a 250 superdream that looks the same if anyone could confirm that please.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 08:40:28 PM »
Did you get fixed up with a sprocket plate yet?  I finally found one here - it would need a little bit of fettling to make perfect,
Ian

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 05:53:55 AM »
No I haven't yet I've got a bid on one on eBay but it still has a while to go are you willing to sell it ? If so let me know how much you want including postage Regards Stevie.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 07:42:56 AM »
I’ll take a couple of pics and will pm with details.  Did you want to hang fire to see if you win the eBay one?  Not really bothered about selling but you can have it for a donation to our Orkney Men’s Shed - you may know of those, there will be one in your area.  I should be travelling from Southport to Arrochar next Tuesday (24th) so might be able to meet mid afternoon if it suits.
Ian

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
donation to our Orkney Men’s Shed - you may know of those,
Just googled Orkney Men's Shed as never heard of it. What a great idea in using skills one enjoys and helping the community  to boot.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »
I’ll take a couple of pics and will pm with details.  Did you want to hang fire to see if you win the eBay one?  Not really bothered about selling but you can have it for a donation to our Orkney Men’s Shed - you may know of those, there will be one in your area.  I should be travelling from Southport to Arrochar next Tuesday (24th) so might be able to meet mid afternoon if it suits.
Ian

Good idea since Ive put a bid on it if you get a chance send me a pic Ill not bid any more on the one on ebay, Stevie.

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
I will be home then Arrocher is one of my wee during the week runs weather permitting I may take a run down it wont be on my Honda as its not finished yet but I have a couple of other oldies (including myself) I can use. I always stop at the cafee at the petrol station for a tea and a roll.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal