Author Topic: Handlebars  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Handlebars
« on: August 14, 2007, 09:54:50 PM »
Hi, it's me again!

Can anybody tell me whether the wiring from the handlebar switches on the CB550 were routed outside the handlebars or inside where they emerged at the front between the handlebar clamps?

Strange question I know but I don't know if my bars are standard and someone said that the wiring should be inside the bars. I don't think it should be.

Many thanks,
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Handlebars
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 11:10:23 PM »
Dave, if the wires are outside the bars some of the switch housing has to be removed to allow the wires out of the switch casings and the locating stub from the switch gear needs to be also removed. Honda bars have all the holes already stamped through to allow wires to be passed through. If you undo the two screws holding the two halves of then you will probably find some metal has been removed so the wires can run outside the bars.

Dave

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:28:48 PM »
That's what I thought Dave and the bits you refer to have been removed and all looks as it should but which way should they go as I've seen a few pics of bikes for sale and they all go outside of the bars.

My bars also have a Union Jack sticker on them with the supplier's name. I seem to remember that Honda were sourcing some bits in the UK and I saw another CB550 for sale which had the same sticker on as mine so I'm wondering which is right.

The bars feel fine when I'm riding so I'm not too concerned but it would be nice to know.

Also, there's wiring to a clutch switch which doesn't seem to be there! Starts OK though.

Nice signature by the way! Need to get those spokes done though!
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:43:21 AM »
Dave, replacement third party bars are cheaper than buying from Honda if you fall off lets face it bars get bent and we fall off at some stage, if you cheap out on replacement parts you have to adapt the switch housing to run the wires outside them but those parts are half the price of Honda stuff so I assume that

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 11:57:23 AM »
My 550K3 had them routed outside the bars. Not sure about the earlier models.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal