Author Topic: DAVID SILVERS CB750 SHOW ON SATURDAY  (Read 8260 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: DAVID SILVERS CB750 SHOW ON SATURDAY
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2018, 02:42:20 PM »
A nice photo too Ash.  There must be stuff like this lying around that is deemed insignificant but good if it can be found.

I often travel past Marc Bolan's tree which is near here, he's never forgotten with permanently replenished shrine there.

That Paris photo has Jean Pierre Beltoise,  formally a motorcycle racer, subsequently formula 1 driver on the front of the bike.  So searchable by his name rather than Honda as such, hidden in plain site as it were. There's a few of it with him and some french singers also from the same photo session that come up as well. 

Details in the photo are good and you can probably see "your" carbs in some.

Here is another one ...with a French comedian and a singer)  I gave those carbs away to a friend who is an avid collector of everything CB750 .. no use to me really and don't want to be branded a hoarder (even though I am  :-[ ) [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »
So is that a Sandcast in that photo, as it has the smooth oil filter housing?
Edit...or one of the prototypes?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:48:23 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2018, 03:19:37 PM »

Others know the show schedule of the bikes but it looks like the gold one of four that was sent out to the bike shows prior to production launch. That one appears to me to be one and the same sold recently and pictured earlier on in this thread at the anniversary day.

It's got the same alt cover etc that marks out the pre-production run engine.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2018, 04:43:15 PM »

Others know the show schedule of the bikes but it looks like the gold one of four that was sent out to the bike shows prior to production launch. That one appears to me to be one and the same sold recently and pictured earlier on in this thread at the anniversary day.

It's got the same alt cover etc that marks out the pre-production run engine.

It's the Gold one that sold at auction for £161k and was at the DS event in those French pics. (yes the engine is a sandcast)  It's rumoured that the green one went to France after the Brighton Show and hasn't been reported as being seen since. (the gold & green bikes were both at that show). From what I know the French were told not to start the bikes but when they came to the UK .. Alf Briggs, who was Honda UK's Technical Service man in Woolaton Road Nottingham started at least one up and it evidently appeared with him riding it on the programme 'Wheelbase' in 1969 on BBC2. Wheelbase was one of the first series to be broadcast in colour and was the predecessor to 'Top Gear'. Lord Denbigh was on that Programme too and Honda UK sold the bike to him which was reg'd CGU 7H. The carbs I got came from someone who was a good friend of Alf Briggs.  That Wheelbase programme was broadcast on the same night that the 1st 'On the Buses' was broadcast ...'Arfurs' combo on that programme must be worth a load too now ...I think it also appeared in Dads Army .... getting all anoraky now sorry  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2018, 04:57:26 PM »
This is Alf Briggs ..sounds a real character and was heavily involved with the CR750's I believe. see this link :-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/agkwz5bqpm9pvng/Alf%20Briggs-5.pdf?dl=0

Just look at the attention to detail in this letter he sent he to a Black Bomber customer  back in the 60's !

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »

One of Vic Willoughby riding that bike also, no date available but has no registration plate,  looks like a test/race track it's located on as well.

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2018, 11:20:52 PM »
How out of place Vic Willoughby looks on a modern bike of the time, probably more suited to ride a BSA B33 with a chicken coop (double adult sidecar) attached, looks like he's been digging up potatoes with those wellies.
1971 cb750 K1

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2018, 09:55:34 PM »

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2018, 07:48:23 PM »
 ;) thanks for sharing the video, from all of us who could not make it .a great day I hope they do it again next year .

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »
Cor! you have some archive stuff Ash. Just as well someone has kept it .
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2018, 07:01:55 PM »
Now this may be because I’m old and have too much time on my hands, despite the Commando but this particular topic has got me thinking. Always dangerous using seized machinery. At first, I agreed with Julie, although not quite as passionately but it is/was a piece of history. However, what is the degree of restoration? I couldn’t make the day but wish I'd put the effort in now, just to see this bike in the flesh. Has it been completely resprayed or have some parts been polished within an inch of their lives? Either way, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at it and it looks impressive. As ‘Hairygit’ says, he may have stored the original parts and it is the frame/engine/VRM that are most important. Whenever I modify a bike, I always keep the original parts to ‘put it back’ if I want to. What bothers me most is that the owner didn’t want the original parts Ash offered him. Was it because he thought Ash wanted to ‘sting’ him, as he’d paid so much for the bike and must be rich? Why wouldn’t you want to get it back to original? He’s clearly no mug if he has that much to invest in the bike and has to have more than a passing interest, doesn’t he? If Ash is still reading this, I’d like to know what the owner said. Also, Ash is not a hoarder. No squirrel in his right mind would have parted with those bits other than to the original bike. A Yorkist as well. Hear all, see all, say nowt, etc!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2018, 08:25:40 PM »
Now this may be because I’m old and have too much time on my hands, despite the Commando but this particular topic has got me thinking. Always dangerous using seized machinery. At first, I agreed with Julie, although not quite as passionately but it is/was a piece of history. However, what is the degree of restoration? I couldn’t make the day but wish I'd put the effort in now, just to see this bike in the flesh. Has it been completely resprayed or have some parts been polished within an inch of their lives? Either way, I wouldn’t turn my nose up at it and it looks impressive. As ‘Hairygit’ says, he may have stored the original parts and it is the frame/engine/VRM that are most important. Whenever I modify a bike, I always keep the original parts to ‘put it back’ if I want to. What bothers me most is that the owner didn’t want the original parts Ash offered him. Was it because he thought Ash wanted to ‘sting’ him, as he’d paid so much for the bike and must be rich? Why wouldn’t you want to get it back to original? He’s clearly no mug if he has that much to invest in the bike and has to have more than a passing interest, doesn’t he? If Ash is still reading this, I’d like to know what the owner said. Also, Ash is not a hoarder. No squirrel in his right mind would have parted with those bits other than to the original bike. A Yorkist as well. Hear all, see all, say nowt, etc!

I wouldn't 'sting' anyone ...ask anybody who knows me well on here and has dealt with me. My original plan with those carbs was to GIVE (=0£)  them to someone I know who has been yearning to own that bike for over 30 years and knew the last owner really well and is a top class sandcast etc owner/ buff. My friend would have restored that bike properly but alas the price was out of his league. My intention with the new owner was to try to trade the carbs  for something missing off my own UK750 ..... however,i f he had been more receptive and passionate about the bike but had nothing to trade, I would have probably given him them to him for 'nowt' as we say up here. It was not to be sadly, he wasn't interested, so I simply gave them to my friend  (for free no money or trade involved) at the show as they were of absolutely no use to me. My hope is that one day the bike might resurface again on the market and then whoever buys it may wish to bring it back to original. My friend is trying to track down the other two carbs as we know they are out there somewhere (the guy who sold me them told me that he originally had all four carbs from Alf Briggs, who was the original Honda UK Tech guy from way back and was a personal friend of Mr. Honda). Personally, I was glad to get them off my hands so that someone else can be their 'custodian'.

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
May I ask what was the tell that they were the carbs from the prototype...
Was it just somebody's word...or was there something that set them apart from the early 28 top jobs?

I vouch ash is one of the gooduns....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:27:33 PM by Woodside »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »
May I ask what was the tell that they were the carbs from the prototype...
Was it just somebody's word...or was that something that set them apart from the early 28 top jobs?

I vouch ash is one of the gooduns....

I showed them to Vic World who took one look and  confirmed that were off either that bike or the missing green one.  The Brighton gold bike had its carbs swapped for production carbs prior to selling to Lord Denbigh and that work would have been done at Honda's Service Dept in Nottingham. So I assume the ones I had were the ones taken off the gold bike.

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2018, 11:49:16 AM »
There is no need for Ash or anyone else to vouch for his character, as there was no implied criticism of Ash nor even the new owner of the Brighton Bike. I simply wondered why the new owner would refuse the chance of obtaining anything that was originally fitted to the bike. I'd have bitten Ash's hand off, as I like originality. I'm not so fussed with Patina Purity. Sometimes people read into situations what they fear and not what is intended, which is why I wrote, 'Was it because he thought Ash wanted to ‘sting’ him'. I've been reading this site for long enough to have worked out Ash is genuine. The bit at the end is because I moved to Burnley when I was eleven and went on intensive training courses about that lot over The Pennines, where I learnt the rhyme. When I start the re-build of my March 1970 bike, you'll see why I like original parts. I don't have many!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal