Author Topic: Cam chain taughtness  (Read 487 times)

Offline Fogdevil

• View Profile
Cam chain taughtness
« on: April 19, 2018, 07:01:10 PM »
Hello all
Having just attached the camshaft sprocket,cam chain and done timing for camshaft I undid the cam chain tensioner nut and setting bolt.
The cam chain is in contact with the cam chain guide at the front and there is a bulge in the chain where the cam chain tensioner slipper is in contact with the cam chain at the rear.
Should there be slack in the chain or should it be relatively taught?
It is difficult to tell but I think I have approx 8mm of movement in the chain between the slipper and the sprocket and there is backwards and forwards motion in the chain.
I have undone the bolt above the cam chain tensioner and the push bar is recessed 12.5mm from the top of the crankcase.
The engine turns freely and the timing stays constant.
I cannot pull the chain in an upwards movement off the sprocket and it stays in place at the crankase when the engine is turned and stationary.
I am sorry but trying to photo the chain is impossible.
I would just like to double check before attaching the cylinder head cover.
Thanks  Foggy

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Cam chain taughtness
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »
Don't know about the numbers but did you wind the engine so all the slack is on the tensioner side of the chain, then loosen the pinch bolt? I think that's all you can do statically.

When you start the engine you can slacken the bolt and push gently down on the end of the pushrod to take up any remaining slack.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Fogdevil

• View Profile
Re: Cam chain taughtness
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 07:26:47 PM »
Yes, I fitted the cam chain tensioner and guide,then bolted down the tensioner slipper holder onto the top of the tensioner before loosening off the tensioner bolt at the front of the engine.
Before I let the bolt off the tensioner slipper was flush with the barrel head.
I reasoned that if I loosened the tensioner slipper holder the tensioner slipper would move upwards if the horseshoe tensioner thingy was doing its job.
It did.
Therefore can only assume everything working ok and that the cam chain is at correct tautness.
Cheers  Foggy
PS Note that I have spelt tautness correctly this time

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal